Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
I would upgrade the hitch on the truck to one capable of carrying the tongue weight without a WDH.
It would probably be less expensive. It would most likely be stronger. It would allow for even larger tongue weight with WDH in the future if you get a larger trailer. Hitching would be far simpler.

2005 Chevy CC Dually D/A, 2003 Fleetwood 11X truck camper, 1997 Larson 206SEI boat
KD4UPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hitching up a WD hitch is not hard. Plus the truck will ride and handle better with the weight distributed over the axles rather than dumping all of the weight on the back of the truck.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
I've watched hot-shotters driving SRW and DRW trucks leave Goshen towing travel trailers of all lengths. None of them ever use a W/D hitch. Never inquired as to their actual truck hitch ratings.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
Ill throw my 2 cents in here I pulled my 24c without a DW hitch and never had an issue with my drw f350 could hardly feel it back there and didn't drop the hitch but a quarter inch, towed it for thousands of miles with a forged aluminum rapid hitch. My truck was in shop and pulled it with a srw dodge 3500 and it was all over the place! I say go with your gut feeling you have a lot of truck there and the big part are the brakes not if your over your pin weight by a few lbs, there is lots of guys pulling equipment trailers with machinery on them with wd hitches
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
Why go with your gut when you have all the numbers right in front of you. Its not an emotional decision, simply a math problem. Plug in the numbers cause when bad stuff happens, thats what the lawyers will do.
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3/ 3.73 2011 JayFeather Select 29L Husky Centerline WDH w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Agreed. There is no reason NOT to use a WDH with antisway. I say it is irresponsible not to.
2010 Nissan Armada SE 4x4
2013 Forest River Wildwood 26TBSS
Jhawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
We all start somewhere. And the quote illustrates what can be heard any number of places.

The purpose of weight distribution (I thought) was to level the truck and trailer by distributing the weight to all axles. But if the truck isn't sagging in the rear (and in fact is still about an inch or two taller than the front) with the trailer hitched no distribution is needed (I think).

Hear this all the time. Why at least 90% of all combinations are improperly hitched. The function of a WDH is to restore the weight value of the front axle of the tow vehicle to its unhitched value. FALR (Front Axle Load Restoration).

Trailer towing accidents are primarily about loss-of-control by the driver. Driver skill is not only moot, it is laughable as a defense in an argument. Risk minimization is what matters. Why Interstates carry ten times the traffic of all other road types, but have the lowest incident of serious and fatal accidents . . their design is risk-minimization writ large.

FALR means the steering responds in a manner to which the driver is accustomed.

And, TW -- as we measure it -- is a static value. But not so in going down the road as dynamic forces can take a putative 800-lb TW and increase it momentarily to 8000-lbs. That's a hammer. A lever, to be exact: the length of which is the distance from hitch ball to TT axles. The longer, the worse it can be. So, spreading that to FA and to TT axles is a genuine, proven benefit (SAE).

By contrast, a load in the truck bed is pretty much always the same. These two things -- payload versus tongue weight -- are not at all the same for comparisons.

And, TT's deal with forces an open construction flatbed rarely contend with: wind, be it natural or man-made. In this, the WDH plays its part along with any anti-sway as integrated into hitch design or added on.

A WDH is a manufacturer requirement, and anti-sway is optional to that requirement. It is not quite even secondary.

Folks tend to get these things reversed, or assign the value of one differently than they are intended.

Even the best hitch is dirt cheap compared to alternatives to having one. And not even close in cost to depreciation for one year on either TV or TT.
They'll last almost indefinitely depending on type, care and miles.

What's funny is the resistance seen across RV boards to setting one up properly, and that is with a segmented, certified weight scale (see CAT Scale Locator). Its the work of a few hours, an afternoon. Take a helper and a selection of tools. The work is worth every bit of perceived aggravation.

A handful of scale tickets and notes covering the range of vehicle weights/loadings and one can re-adjust that hitch as necessary (anywhere).

Good luck

2004 2WD Dodge 305/555 CTD 6-speed
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling
Hensley Arrow + adjustable tilt head
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #22
Rednax - Yours was an excellent answer. Thank you very much! And thanks to all who posted! I've got another issue now that I need to find the right forum to post it in. It's a water heater blow-off valve issue.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, Cummins 6.7L/6 speed auto/3.73's
2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
SlyFox50 is offline   Reply With Quote