Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
To goose neck or not to goose neck?

Well, I just picked up an older Cummins Dodge that has the B & W turnover ball setup installed.

I currently have a tow behind trailer that we will be trading in probably next spring or possibly next fall.

Of course I'm planning on trading it in and getting a 5'ver for the much better towing.

The question is; should I do the B & W conversion on the 5'ver to a goose neck or purchase and install a 5th wheel hitch in the truck.

I've personally thought that a goose neck has much more move-ability VS a 5th wheel, but I'd sure like to hear experienced folks that have pulled with both versions.

Any experience or advise is highly appreciated.

Dano
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

We have. BW flip over ball also. We went with a Pullrite Superlite 20k hitch. It is a single point attachment to the BW ball. A gooseneck hitch will place additional stress on your 5ver frame due to the low mounting point. The Pullrite Superlite hitch takes advantage of the additional movement the ball provides, but retains the high hitch point the 5ver was designed for. The hitch only weighs 52 lbs so it is easy to install and remove by a single person by loosening one bolt and removing 2 pins. I will say it may not be compatible with your rig/ truck combination. If you have a short bed truck you may be limited to a slider hitch depending on the shape of the rigs front cap. If it is squared off, it will require a slider to avoid possible contact with the cab. My rig has a specially designed front cap for short bed truck which allows me to turn up to 88 degrees by design.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_194814_HDR.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	265155Click image for larger version

Name:	550992192.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	265157

98 Ford F-150 4x4 Triton 5.4L
Whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

Also if your not 6'7" you'll a long reach to hookup the safety chains on the goose neck.

X2 for Whopper's setup.
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Howdy!

I opted for the Reese Goose Box and use a gooseneck ball. Nice to have a clean bed when you want to use it. No more heavy 5er hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...xoC0PsQAvD_BwE

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #5

Wow, good picture of that 88 degree angle. I am seeing that kind of front cap design on more and more 5th wheels which is a very good design.

Heartland I think was the 1st with that design.

I will probably be in the same boat as the OP.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
After several fifth wheel hitches, I'm happy to have a Goosebox V2.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks guys for the responses so far!

I forgot to mention in my original post that the truck is a full 8' long box.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
I currently have a tow behind trailer that we will be trading in probably next spring or possibly next fall.

Of course I'm planning on trading it in and getting a 5'ver for the much better towing.
A 5er tows better than a TT only if the TT is towed with a cheap hitch. But a TT towed with a ProPride hitch tows just as good as a 5er or gooseneck.
https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...d-529498fac3b2

A ProPride hitch cost almost $3,000 delivered, and new ones are not sold by anyone but Jim Hensley.

But a 5er with a good 5er or gooseneck hitch costs more than a comparable TT with a ProPride hitch.

So you're using faulty logic if you think a 5er tows better than a TT. It doesn't if the TT is towed with a ProPride hitch. Yes, I've had all three - 5er, gooseneck, and now TT towed with a ProPride hitch.

But I didn't pay almost $3,000 for my hitch. I found a barely-used one on Craig's List that I negotiated down to $1,000.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
A 5er tows better than a TT only if the TT is towed with a cheap hitch. But a TT towed with a ProPride hitch tows just as good as a 5er or gooseneck.

A ProPride hitch cost almost $3,000 delivered, and new ones are not sold by anyone but Jim Hensley.

But a 5er with a good 5er or gooseneck hitch costs more than a comparable TT with a ProPride hitch.

So you're using faulty logic if you think a 5er tows better than a TT. It doesn't if the TT is towed with a ProPride hitch. Yes, I've had all three - 5er, gooseneck, and now TT towed with a ProPride hitch.

But I didn't pay almost $3,000 for my hitch. I found a barely-used one on Craig's List that I negotiated down to $1,000.

I used a ProPride for many thousands of miles, and each truck/trailer combo is different so there are other factors at play, but while the Propride was far closer to a fifth wheel in terms of towing, it wasn't 100% the same. I still prefer a fifth wheel but highly recommend anyone with a TT spend the money on the ProPride 3P. They do make a world of difference over a traditional WDH, Equal-i-zer, or SwayPro (I used all of 'em with the same rig, trying to find the best setup). I would say that Propride is better than a cheap fifth wheel hitch, but wouldn't compare it to something like the Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 or even a Reese Goosebox. I think your statement, while well-intended, is a bit overgeneralized.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

I prefer the Reese 20k.
In 07 I considered a goose neck because my truck already had it.
After talking to the factory they advised against it for multiple reasons. The biggest one was additional stress on the pin box and how it would affect the chassis..
Plus it would void my warranty.
The 5r hitch is very easy for hookup and disconnecting.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I prefer the Reese 20k.
In 07 I considered a goose neck because my truck already had it.
After talking to the factory they advised against it for multiple reasons. The biggest one was additional stress on the pin box and how it would affect the chassis..
Plus it would void my warranty.
The 5r hitch is very easy for hookup and disconnecting.

Reese Goosebox is the only Lippert approved gooseneck solution - as such, it will not void your [Lippert] frame warranty, but it also wasn't around back in '07. It's a full pinbox replacement and not just an adapter, and uses air bags and shocks to mitigate the additional stress - whether that is enough, depends on your individual rig, usage, and expectations.

It's not for everyone: a fifth wheel is easier to connect and disconnect because you can easily see the connection point and don't have to be as perfectly aligned. Additionally, no safety chains to deal with.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Wow! That's a lot of money for a hitch. I paid just over $500 for a new Pullrite Superlite 20k 5ver hitch and we are very pleased with it.

98 Ford F-150 4x4 Triton 5.4L
Whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The RV manufacturers void the frame warranty on using a Goose Neck (GN) adapter. Lippert will accept a GooseBox, but as seen by my old engineering eyes, the GooseBox is nothing but a glorified GN adapter.

If you want a good ride, get a Trailer Saver air ride 5er hitch...not cheap, but it works.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Wow, some awesome advice from all of you great members!!!!

Gives me a lot of "food for thought" for sure.

I very much appreciate all of your thoughts, suggestions, and advice!!!!!!