Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac999 View Post
Rockstar Rock Star Fifth Wheels - Specifications and Features

Hitch weight 3455
Exterior Lenght 43'4"
Empty Weight 13220
Aprox Loaded 16500-17000

See if this helps

3912SLGross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.)18,00018,000Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs.)13,47013,220Hitch Weight (lbs.)3,6303,455Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs.)4,5304,780Exterior Length40' 5"43' 4"Exterior Height w/ A/C159"159"Body Width102"102"Interior Height (Bedroom)77"77"Fresh Water Capacity (gal.) (includes water heater)148148Grey Waste Water Capacity (gal.)60.888Black Waste Water Capacity (gal.)60.852Radial Tire SizeST235/80R 16EST235/80R 16EDouble 30-lb. Propane Tanks w/ Auto RegulatorXXE-Z Lube Axles w/All-Wheel Electric Brakes (Nev-R-Adjust)332-5/16" Ball CouplerXXSleeping Capacity66Furnace w/Wall Thermostat, Auto-Ignition40M BTU40M BTU
That pin/hitch weight is why I asked about your rear tire load capacity. Lot's of people with large loads being towed with a SRW truck overload their tires adding to the already unsafe conditions.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
You know this started out a simple question and has turned into jokes, puns at my friends, all i wanted was some good feedback which I got and appreciate very much, my good friend is a rv salesman and I trust his judgement and he did inform me that it was over the limit but the truck would pull it without an issue (Motor & Tranmission) the bags would help the pin weight but the total weight would be over and left it up to my decision, so part of my desicion was going to be based on good info from these and other forums, I am not completely ignorant as some might think as I have drove 80-100000 lb rigs for 15 years or so, I am in the process of looking at 2011 F-350 and 2011 GM 3500 to replace it.

So if you have thought on these have at it.
I am sorry that this turned into a joke fest, but weight issues are a big deal on this and many other forums. If you have expereince with semis - as this post suggests - then you should well know what happens to trucks who try to haul too much - they pay fines and have to reduce their load until it is legal. Too bad there are not such rules for RVs. Perhaps we would not have to have "weight police" on forums like this. I would look more at the F450 or 550 or the Kodiak/Topkick family on the GM side.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I have a new 2010 duramax 3/4 ton 4X4 that is shows to be rated at 14,800 max, I am going to put bags under it and want to pull a 43' toy hauler that is 14k empty and will be i am sure 16-17k when toys and fuel and is probably 3500 pin weight.

Thoughts or comments
I was a hot shot hauler. I have a '06 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Ran OW every trip, was lucky that I never got popped, very $$$. (as you know) The truck performed well all of the time, plenty of power, stopped well. I kept my speed at 70 and under and maintained all of the equipment to the letter. I ran 21,000-23,000#'s. Looking back, not a very smart idea to overload that truck like that. Anything could have happened, I got lucky.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #32

I have a 42' toyhauler that weighs a bit over 18K loaded for camping, with a GVW of 20K. The trailer has triple axles with disc brakes and those brakes stop the trailer very well. I was pulling it with a F350 dually and it pulled the trailer through mountains and stayed at highway speeds with no problem.

I was on I-95 coming into NYC on the Cross Bronx Expressway when I had to slow down for traffic ahead. I then realized I had no trailer brakes! A hydraulic brake line on the trailer had broken and I lost all the brake fluid. Since I keep a good distance in front of me I was able to slow down in time and, realizing I had no trailer brakes, I increased my following distance and slowed down below my normal speed. I had to travel two days before I was able to have the broken brake line repaired. The dually has larger brakes than a similar SRW but it still had trouble bringing it to a stop.

Up until then I reasoned that the trailer brakes would stop the trailer and the truck brakes only had to worry about stopping the truck. I went out and bought a larger truck that can stop the trailer with just the truck brakes. As others have said on these forums, pulling and carrying the weight are the smaller part of the overall picture. Stopping is the critical factor.
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
I was a hot shot hauler. I have a '06 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Ran OW every trip, was lucky that I never got popped, very $$$. (as you know) The truck performed well all of the time, plenty of power, stopped well. I kept my speed at 70 and under and maintained all of the equipment to the letter. I ran 21,000-23,000#'s. Looking back, not a very smart idea to overload that truck like that. Anything could have happened, I got lucky.
J
"Kept speed at 70 or under" You do realize ALL ST (special trailer) tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. That may have contributed to early tire failure for the buyers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote