Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

To Pull or Not to Pull

I have a new 2010 duramax 3/4 ton 4X4 that is shows to be rated at 14,800 max, I am going to put bags under it and want to pull a 43' toy hauler that is 14k empty and will be i am sure 16-17k when toys and fuel and is probably 3500 pin weight.

Thoughts or comments
Frac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
IMO, a 43ft toy hauler is way too much, in weight, length & pin weight, for a 3/4t truck. There are a whole bunch of threads in this Forum about what 1/2t, 3/4t, 1t & larger trucks will accomodate. It would be a good idea to look through the threads & read them. Either get a bigger truck or scale your 5-r size down.

Use this website to help you figure out your weight numbers.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree. Way too much trailer for your truck.

You're up in the MDT range.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #4

I'd say do it. The economy needs the boost, and keeps the lawyers employed.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

Are you saying that a dually or larger would be the only way to go as a tow vehicle?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Yes that is what they are saying. The truck is rated for X the trailer for XX and the numbers are not close. You might be able to do and not have a major problem but why do it? Why take the chance?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I hope you are kidding - if you do this please let us know where you are going to be traveling - so we can avoid those roads. Towing that far over the ratings is very unsafe. Starting, stopping and just going down the road are going to be a chore. Air bags do not increase either the GVWR or CGWR. Actually to handle that kind of load I would be looking at an MDT or and F450 or 550 I know that the new 2011 chevy HDs are going to have higher tow ratings but that rig may be too much for even them.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #8

Appreciate all the replys I have got and will do something different. I have a good friend that is a sales manager for a repuatble RV dealership and he has been telling me that it would not be a problem. He also said that 80% of all TH in that area are pulled by 3/4 ton diesels with no issues. Its hard not to believe a good friend that you have bought 2-3 trailers from over a 15 year spand but I a really struggling with this one. I was pulling double trailers for a little while with the Polaris on the back trailer but the total lenght is 72' long and not legal here. With that there is no pin weight, 1500# but total weight of trailers around 15K and there was no issues pulling that just was able to fell every bump in the road twice.

Thanks again for all answers
Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I have a good friend that is a sales manager for a repuatble RV dealership and he has been telling me that it would not be a problem.
He is clearly mistaken.

Quote:
He also said that 80% of all TH in that area are pulled by 3/4 ton diesels with no issues.
I believe he could be right about the 80% part, but many folks tow with too little truck.

No issues?

Maybe under ideal conditions, but it's when conditions are not ideal that problems arise. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
He is clearly mistaken.

I believe he could be right about the 80% part, but many folks tow with too little truck.

No issues?

Maybe under ideal conditions, but it's when conditions are not ideal that problems arise. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

Sounds like you have been there and done it, in your opinion is the problem in the pin weight, the total overall weight, braking issues or all of the above? my thinking is and thats not alway right is that the actual pulling of the total weight would not be an issue as far as the motor and tranmission, you would think that with 4 axels of brakes that would not be an issue, my concern was mainly on the pin.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You will be exceeding the CGWR for the drivetrain - that will make moving that weight a huge problem. BTDT-got the T Shirt - Towed for a short time with a rig that was just at the CGWR and it was horrible - it took everything the engine had to get moving - forget about being able to speed up or climb hills at anything but a crawl. I also saw temps rise into the yellow zone. As for stopping, you need to look at what the truck itself can do - forget the TT brakes - what would happen if your plug came out? I have had that happen, trying to stop with just truck brakes was difficult.

As for your "friends" stats he may be right about the 80% of people tow TH with 3/4T trucks - like you they were told by a salesperson that it would work.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
As Ren would say to Stimpy as he was about to hack up a hairball:

"DON'T DO IT, 'MON'!!!"

Please don't put yourself (and other innocent people sharing the road with you) at risk by towing that monster toy hauler with a horrendously underrated tow vehicle. If you have an accident with that combination, you might suddenly become a full-timer living in a tent when they take your house and everything else you own to compensate the victim(s). Any insurance you have will be reluctant to pay once they figure out how grossly overloaded you were. And, depending on the state, I wouldn't be surprised if even criminal charges were filed.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #13

Thanks again for all the comments. Will look at other options.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #14

A post from another forum on this matter.

Great Towing Experience
Well all, just got back from a 2800 mile RV vacation with the family. First long trip with the new toy hauler in my avatar/sig and I have to admit I was a little concerned with how my 2500 would handle the monster (loaded weight 16,500 lbs for a combined weight of 24K +). Went from Missouri through the mountains of Tennessee/North Carolina and finally to the beach on the east coast. From there back through the mountains of virginia up to the Great Lakes then finally back home. Included some 2 lane "snake roads" through the mountains with up to 10% grade! (so not just a stroll over the flat plains of Kansas)

With all this mountain traveling I could not be more pleased with how my little 3/4 ton single rear wheel truck handled it. Power train did great - Tranny temps never got over 200 and when going up the long grades the "extra fan" would kick in when the temps started climbing and quickly cool things down. Did have to down shift more than with my old 5er that weighed only 11K but I would expect that. On flats and low grade climbs stayed in 5th pulling at 65mph without problem.

Downhill runs through the mountains went well also - just had to be smart and keep the speed down whild descending and no problems with stability at all. (used the manual tranny mode to control downhill speeds)

Through this trip avereaged 8.5 mpg (hand calculated with GPS) which I don't think is bad towing such a heavy load with as much climbing as I did.

So, very happy and am a believer the GCWR published by GM way underestimate the trucks capabilities. (all above with no performance mods)