Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I am considering a new tow vehicle for the 5th wheel. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to a manual vs automatic transmission. Most likely I will be sticking to a diesel truck, either used dodge or Ford. I refuse to pay new truck prices. My truck payment would be more than my mortgage. I have been happy with my 7.3, but a little dissappointed in the nileage. How are the Cummins in the mileage department?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #2

I am considering a new tow vehicle for the 5th wheel. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to a manual vs automatic transmission. Most likely I will be sticking to a diesel truck, either used dodge or Ford. I refuse to pay new truck prices. My truck payment would be more than my mortgage. I have been happy with my 7.3, but a little dissappointed in the nileage. How are the Cummins in the mileage department?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 AM   #3

As you increase Hp, you decrease fuel economy. Now, having said that on to your original question. depending on the year, Dodge automatics were not the best of transmissions. The newer 48RE? is the best of the Dodge offerings, but have only been out for what? maybe three or four years. earlier or not sure get the 5 speed stick. People swear by them. Ford 6.0L has had a lot of problems with a variety of things from turbos to you name it. Again they did get better, but were killed by the reputation. Their automatic appears to be good, not a lot of complaints on the various forums. GM, the Duramax/Allison is the best of the best. The LB7 had some injector issues on certain models, the LLY had some overheating issues in 2004/2005. Neither issue is on every truck and if you found a good one, just make sure all of the TSB's have been done and do a carfax report.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
Now, having said that on to your original question. depending on the year, Dodge automatics were not the best of transmissions. The newer 48RE? is the best of the Dodge offerings, but have only been out for what? maybe three or four years. earlier or not sure get the 5 speed stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The 48RE was introduced on the 2003 Cummins HO. For towing, the 6-speed NV5600 manual is preferred over the 5-speed NV4500. My truck makes 347 HP and 762 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels, has spent probably 90% of its life towing a 5th wheel and has never been back to the dealership for any problem whatsoever.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #5

What size rear does your PSD have?
I get around 12mpg pulling with mine and a 3.7 rear.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
CD

Rick A
You don't say what milage you are getting but with those big horses up front you will use some fuel. My experience is that a heavy foot is your worst enemy for milage and you don't have to be a hotrod to do it. I have found that I get about 10% better milage at 60 than at 65 and about 10% better than that at 55. Also I use as little peddle as I can get by with. This is hard to do at first but I find usually get there almost as soon as a lot of other pepple on the road.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #7

I am running 4:10 in the rear and average between 14.5 to 15 with winter blend, and 16 with the non winter fuel. Another reason for the change of tow vehicle is a possible switch to a srw and 3.73 rear to help mileage. As this is my daily commuter and we are only weekend warriors when it comes to towing, mileage is becoming a huge issue with fuel prices. With diesel in my area anywhere from $.20 - $.30 higher than gas, the big gasser may be an option at this point. Tough decisions!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Talk about tough decisions, think about what it will cost you to trade the truck, vs the fuel costs. Those fuel cost per mile will start to make sense. I have to tow 3k this year and I can see the writing on the wall, plan on 3.25 a gallon and you will probably be safe on your fuel estimates, unless you live in Calif, then figure more. At least here in the midwest thats the way it looks.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #9

Duramax/Allison the model years above have been described perfectly in 2006 model year they have gotten all the kinks out.The Allison has the tow/haul mode and also a manual shift up down feature for those who like to shift.The tow/Haul works for me but it is an option for the driver to decide. Check out their website.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
CD

Rick A
Have you considered an older car for a commuter thats in good condtion that you could get for around $2K and gets 25 to 30 MPG?
I have been doing that and save the big $40K TV for towing. Your insurance will be less on the TV if you aren't using it to commute and you don't need collision on the old car. I had a 01 Dodge (that got totaled) before the present one that had the 3:55. I only get about a 1/2MPG less with the 4:10 and much better towing experience. With the 3:55 if I was going less than 65 I was shifting for every little rise but not with the 4:10. I have less than 70K on my Dodge and we have gone to Az. in the winter 4 of the years we have had it plus other trips.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #11

Fuel costs may not be as huge a factor as you think. Use the KOA fuel cost estimator, and run some numbers. Factor in the money required to trade trucks, insurance premium difference, sales tax, etc.; X the amount of times you will be towing each year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #12

Rick,

You are getting better ecconomy than I am with a SRW w/3.73 rear end. I get 14.5 best and towing the 5th 8.5-9.5 (5th weights in at 12k)

If you need to save money on fuel, get a daily eccono car for $2000-3000 that gets 35+ MPG and keep the miles off the truck.
Think about everyones posts and you will see that what you want to do, does not make sence.

If you are going to get a new truck because you just want a new truck, then that is another story, you should get which ever trans you want to drive as both the auto and manual are equally capable to pull your trailer.
The ford 6.0L PSD is one to stay away from, IMHO. The 7.3L motor you have now is a better motor. As for dodge, can't comment.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #13

Okay, I am going tommorow to look at a 2001 Dodge 2500 V-10, 5 spd with 36K miles on it. I am thinking offering $15,500. Any ideas if this is a good price. It is an SLT quad cab, sprayed in bed liner, already has the fifth wheel hitch. This truck should suit my needs just fine. I think gas will be a nice change. Time to stop dealing with hte ULSD crap and waiting for the fuel pump and injector gremlins to hit, tired of the huge repair bills everytime something little breaks. I will miss the torque though, but I think the V-10 will handle my trailer just fine. Ironically, it looks identical to the Dodge I had before the Ford.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am thinking offering $15,500. Any ideas if this is a good price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take a look at the 'Private Party' price in Kelly Blue Book.