Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
To slide or not to slide, that is the question....

So we just sold our 2000 f250 for a more ride friendly 2006 Chevrolet 2500. The old truck was a super cab long bed and the new truck is a cc short bed. I hitched up the other day with the new truck with our 2007 keystone cougar and I feel like I have plenty of room between the cab and trailer when turning and backing. Is it necessary to go to a slider hitch or with the mid profile of the cougar should I be ok? Any experience would help out great.

On another note I know my old 7.3 was a beast but it doesn't compare to this duramax.

2000 F250 7.3 sc lbed 4x4
2007 Keystone 310SRX
jbraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a MH now but when I had my 5'er I had a slider, better safe than sorry.JMHO Jim

2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
I've got a slider on my truck but I have yet to use it. The way my Everest was designed helps me turn pretty tight.
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
2008 Everest 305T
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
I have not purchased a slider yet for my truck. I have to be backing around a pretty sharp turn before the front of the camper even comes close to the cab. Right now, I am just very careful when backing.

What I did was, with the help of a spotter, backed slowly while turning sharp and stopped when it got close. I do not think, in a normal backing situation, I will be turning that sharp. I might change my mind one day after using the TT on the road a while. I just do not know if I want to put another couple hundred dollars into another part for the hitch.
Mel MSgt. USAF (Ret)
1986 Prowler 3000 CL 5er
2006 GMC SLE Reese 16K Pro Fifth Wheel w/slide
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Only YOU can know if your rv will impact your truck...
and if the few 100 dollars is worth the peace of mind of not having to worry about one more thing (or worse yet, NOT worrying about it and crushing your cab :( )

when your are fighting backing into a tight spot, you may be more focused on the rear of the rv and not the front - that's when it will happen...

now, you maybe could get an extended pin box, but that may introduce a new set of issues

my front cap is VERY Rounded, so I probably didn't need a slider, but I got one ....
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Many shortbed GM owners say they can make a 90 degree maneuver without a slider with plenty of clearance . The GM short bed trucks have a longer dimension from the back of the cab to the trucks rear axles than other truck brands which eliminates the need for a slider with some 5th wheel trailers.

Why buy a slider if its not needed. However you have the truck and trailer so you and a spotter should be able to tell if it has enough clearance or not.

Yeah, all the mid '00s and newer truck have much more towing ability than the '00 older models.

The Dmax/A should get some great mpgs for a power plant that size.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I'd get a slider.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
I agree, the GMs are better build for 5th wheels. I never needed a slider with my 98 short box 2500 GM.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
To slide or not to slide

Just sold an 06 2500 short bed that had a 16k slider, we probably used the slider a dozen times in the past 3 years but to me it was well worth the extra $. Campgrounds get tight and you don't always have a spotter available, one mistake will more than equal the extra cost IMHO.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
I am looking for a slide for my 16K now. Where I am moving to I will need to make a 90 degree turn when backing off the street into the yard. I will be by myself most of the time. Anyone have one for sale????

Mel MSgt. USAF (Ret)
1986 Prowler 3000 CL 5er
2006 GMC SLE Reese 16K Pro Fifth Wheel w/slide
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote