Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - but you cannot boldly go where there is no storage!

Seriously (not) You have not got the "look" when you say we have too much stuff. You just dont have enough storage. LOL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #44

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Yup - but you cannot boldly go where there is no storage!

Seriously (not) You have not got the "look" when you say we have too much stuff. You just dont have enough storage. LOL

Storage is a real subject of discussion around our house, as the home we're building now is about 40 percent smaller than our last! Downsizing is "challenging"...
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post

Storage is a real subject of discussion around our house, as the home we're building now is about 40 percent smaller than our last! Downsizing is "challenging"...
The DW current buzzword is 'de-cluttering'. She went to a convention where the keynote speaker was a 'de-cluttering expert'. Came back with the bug.

Well long story short. There was a flurry of activity around the house. Stuff was hauled out by the box full. To a casual observer it would have been textbook.

Watching it personally - the incoming boxes all contain new stuff to put on the empty shelves.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #46

Quote:
The DW current buzzword is 'de-cluttering'. She went to a convention where the keynote speaker was a 'de-cluttering expert'. Came back with the bug.

Well long story short. There was a flurry of activity around the house. Stuff was hauled out by the box full. To a casual observer it would have been textbook.

Watching it personally - the incoming boxes all contain new stuff to put on the empty shelves.
But...I designed this new house. There is a decided lack of shelves! LOL.

And since I'll be carrying "most" of those boxes, there will be an inspection.

BTW, TGIF!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
But...I designed this new house. There is a decided lack of shelves! LOL.

And since I'll be carrying "most" of those boxes, there will be an inspection.

BTW, TGIF!
It followed me home - can I keep it?

I bought it with my own money!

Why not - we can give the kids used stuff or save the money so they can buy new stuff. They can buy new stuff with their own money.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #48

Quote:
It followed me home - can I keep it?

I bought it with my own money!

Why not - we can give the kids used stuff or save the money so they can buy new stuff. They can buy new stuff with their own money.
No, you can't keep it.

1/2 that money is mine...

And my kids are way better off than me....they don't want any of my stuff!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #49

I just upgraded from a 2006 F250 to a 2008 F350 DRW for one main reason. First, although my F250 pulled my 39' Cardinal 5er well the people on this thread are right, I was over weight on my rear axle and GVWR. I researched it thoroughly and couldn't find out what the weak link of the axle was. In the end it didn't matter because I wanted to be as safe as I could be, and one post I read said "If there is a fatal accident whether it is my fault or not they could put the truck and trailer up on scales and find that i'm 2500 lbs over on my rear axle and the penalty could be severe."

It's not my daily driver so the hassle of the wide back end of the DRW was palatable. I had a short bed with a slider hitch and hated the clunking on ever stop and go. This truck is a long bed with B&W hitch and I love it. I would never go back to a short bed after having this long bed.

I would suggest weighing the truck (front axle, rear axle and trailer weight) and compare it to your door jam sticker. If you're over weight at least do it on purpose with the knowledge of being over weight. If not then you are certainly in good shape either way you go. I did a little video talking about my decision that may help.

https://youtu.be/6hF1HMi3Fs8

Good luck
JeromesRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Well reasoned video presented in a measured rational manner.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #51

Excellent presentation! Well thought out and presented in a professional manner with the visual aid of the two vehicles, before and after. I can only hope all large 5er owners will see this video and take what this man has said to heart before they make a choice of a tow vehicle.
Snappy2265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromesRVing View Post
I just upgraded from a 2006 F250 to a 2008 F350 DRW for one main reason. First, although my F250 pulled my 39' Cardinal 5er well the people on this thread are right, I was over weight on my rear axle and GVWR. I researched it thoroughly and couldn't find out what the weak link of the axle was. In the end it didn't matter because I wanted to be as safe as I could be, and one post I read said "If there is a fatal accident whether it is my fault or not they could put the truck and trailer up on scales and find that i'm 2500 lbs over on my rear axle and the penalty could be severe."

It's not my daily driver so the hassle of the wide back end of the DRW was palatable. I had a short bed with a slider hitch and hated the clunking on ever stop and go. This truck is a long bed with B&W hitch and I love it. I would never go back to a short bed after having this long bed.

I would suggest weighing the truck (front axle, rear axle and trailer weight) and compare it to your door jam sticker. If you're over weight at least do it on purpose with the knowledge of being over weight. If not then you are certainly in good shape either way you go. I did a little video talking about my decision that may help.

https://youtu.be/6hF1HMi3Fs8

Good luck

Good job! Nice when people quit applying band-aids!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromesRVing View Post
Good job, Jerome.

I spend lots of my time trying to convince new RVers to buy enough truck to begin with, but it's a hard sell. Most people want a huge RV trailer but want to tow it with a 30-MPG commuter car. A Dooley is out of the question for many people, who have all sorts of excuses to tow with an overloaded tow vehicle instead of downsizing the trailer or trading for "more truck".

One reason is cost. It's very expensive to trade a perfectly good three-quarter ton pickup for a suitable tow vehicle that won't be overloaded. For many, there's no money in the budget after paying for the RV trailer to also trade up for a suitable tow vehicle.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #54

And yet, with some encouraging coaching we were pleased to discover through careful analysis that buying a 250 instead of a "max loaded" 150 we got a much more capable truck for hauling mass. And...the upgrade to a 350 over the 250 was a very minimal bump in the budget. Helped a lot ordering via a fleet manager, easiest negotiation ever! Of course we were lucky, as it was time anyway to replace our 200K 150...

Sure glad I listened to more experienced folks here!

Cheers!