Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Portert,
The manufacturer tells you tow ratings for a regular cab 2wd with few if any options and a 150# driver, which makes them bogus, then in fine print they tell you to never go over the GAWR, GVWR, and GCWR of the vehicle. You will be over your GVWR with that camper period. I won't get into the gas vs diesel, that is your call. The gas will pull what the ratings say, but you will be revving at or near the redline to pull any kind of grade and the fuel mileage will be in the toilet. That is your call. The best way to see if you are overweight is go to the local truck scales and weigh it. A 13,950#GVWR 5er will have a pin weight of between 2350# and 3070# depending on the percentage of trailer weight on the pin. The usual pin weight for an F250 is below 2000# to stay at or below the trucks GVWR. If staying within the manufacturers weight ratings is being conservative, then so be it
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portert View Post
The main issue I am having is regarding the torque difference between gas and diesel. My concern is will it be able to pull up hills.
The GCWR is very accurate. If you don't exceed the GCWR, then the drivetrain can probably pull up hills and interstate mountain passes without over heating anything in the drivetrain, and without being the slowpoke holding up traffic on the grade. Notice the GCWR is less for a gasser than for a diesel. For a 2015 SRW 6.2L gasser with 3.73 axle ratio, GCWR is 19,000. For a 2015 PSD with 3.31 or 3.55 axle, GCWR is 23,500. So a diesel with longer legs and a heavier engine can tow a trailer that grosses 3,900 pounds more than the gasser.

That is not to say that you can tow a trailer that would get you close to the GCWR. You can't, without exceeding the GVWR of the SRW pickup. On an SRW pickup, the GVWR is the limiter, not the GCWR. So an even better answer is that if you don't exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle, then you won't have any problems with lack of power for climbing hills, whether 6.2L gasser or 6.7L diesel.

Granted, I prefer a diesel for towing heavy in mountains or the Texas Hill Country. A diesel will sort of putt-putt along while a gasser with the same trailer will have to scream and holler to get the job done. But if you don't exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle, either gas or diesel will get you there.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The GCWR is very accurate. If you don't exceed the GCWR, then the drivetrain can probably pull up hills and interstate mountain passes without over heating anything in the drivetrain, and without being the slowpoke holding up traffic on the grade. Notice the GCWR is less for a gasser than for a diesel. For a 2015 SRW 6.2L gasser with 3.73 axle ratio, GCWR is 19,000. For a 2015 PSD with 3.31 or 3.55 axle, GCWR is 23,500. So a diesel with longer legs and a heavier engine can tow a trailer that grosses 3,900 pounds more than the gasser.

That is not to say that you can tow a trailer that would get you close to the GCWR. You can't, without exceeding the GVWR of the SRW pickup. On an SRW pickup, the GVWR is the limiter, not the GCWR. So an even better answer is that if you don't exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle, then you won't have any problems with lack of power for climbing hills, whether 6.2L gasser or 6.7L diesel.

Granted, I prefer a diesel for towing heavy in mountains or the Texas Hill Country. A diesel will sort of putt-putt along while a gasser with the same trailer will have to scream and holler to get the job done. But if you don't exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle, either gas or diesel will get you there.

And to clarify what wren always forgets to mention is that the GVWR of a SRW 250 is the same as a SRW 350 as they are THE SAME TRUCK. So, buy either and be fine. On a SRW 350 you won't be anywhere near the GVWR "STICKER" as with a gas motor you will be about 8000 lbs wet and loaded ready to tow leaving 3500 for pin. On a 250 you might be over the "STICKER" but you know now that the sticker means NOTHING.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #18

The f250 has a GVWR of 9900lbs. If the truck is 7500lbs loaded with two adults (we won't be storing any gear inside the truck ) and the pin weight is 2500lbs, it would be OK?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
The f250 has a GVWR of 9900lbs. If the truck is 7500lbs loaded with two adults (we won't be storing any gear inside the truck ) and the pin weight is 2500lbs, it would be OK?

Absolutely. It's the same truck as a 350 SRW with an 11.5 GVWR. That truck can handle 10k all week long and twice on Sunday...
Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
One last thing to consider, if the truck has 3.73's you can always have them swapped out for 4.30's. If it's a 4wd, you will have to do the front too so it can get pricy. Again, it all depends on the deal you are getting on the truck. If that is a route you would want to pursue, maybe you can have the dealer write into the deal that they will reflash your computer for free after the gear swap so that you don't throw a cel or have your speedo be off.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe. Only the CAT scale will know for sure. In the middle of the towing trip, fill up with gas and weigh the wet and loaded rig. If the truck is a Crew Cab 4x4 gasser, then your estimate of 7,500 pounds wet and loaded weight with hitch is probably a bit light.

Be very suspicious of anyone who advises you to ignore the manufacturer's weight ratings.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Also be very suspicious of anyone who tells you to ignore verifiable facts.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
taken,
If what you say is true, why do you have the F350? It also means that Ford has been overcharging everyone that has bought a 350 SWR over the 250. NOT!!!! There is a difference between the two, it may be subtle, but it is there, and it does make a difference in the GVWR of the truck. I know that with GM the difference is the springs and the wheels, I can't quote the difference in the Ford or Dodge, but I would imagine that they are similar.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
taken,
If what you say is true, why do you have the F350? It also means that Ford has been overcharging everyone that has bought a 350 SWR over the 250. NOT!!!! There is a difference between the two, it may be subtle, but it is there, and it does make a difference in the GVWR of the truck. I know that with GM the difference is the springs and the wheels, I can't quote the difference in the Ford or Dodge, but I would imagine that they are similar.
Frank

I have a 350 because when I traded I had plenty of money and didn't feel like swapping the blocks again myself to save a few hundred. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE since the inception of the Super Duty line in 1999.5 other than the taller blocks and one overload spring. Period. I've checked the part numbers. You can do the same on any online Ford parts dealer or by going to your local parts counter. Yes, Ford is making a lot of money for one spring and the taller blocks. Over $800 retail. Don't take my word for it by any means. Do what I and everyone else who wanted to know for sure has done and look up the part numbers. You won't find any "subtle" differences other than the two I mentioned. I can't tell you about Ram of GM, but on Ford I am 100% sure as I've done the homework. Try it yourself [Moderator Edit] and you will find the same.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #25

My 2005 F250 is registered for 13200 lbs in my province. My neighbour's F350 duelly is registered for 12800lbs. I have one more ply of stock springs then he has plus the helper spring that his F350 does not have.
One more reason I have an F250 is that I wanted the Super Cab that are unsean on a F350.
Most 350s are loaded units that cost more than $20k more then my basic XL model that has been a rock for my use.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #26

It's interesting to note we have "experts" on this forum that know more than the Ford engineers who designed these trucks.
In some states if you have an accident while towing overloaded according to the weight specs listed on the door jam you could be found at fault. Not worth it to me.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
Why should I show you anything; you claim to be the expert. Show us the engineering data you have to prove a F250 can tow as much or more than an F350. Also why don't you show us the the proof the weight ratings are set by marketing, I doubt any manufacturer would allow vehicle specifications to be determined by Marketing; that would be ridiculous. If you have no data please tell us this is your opinion not based on facts.

If your going to quote me at least have the common courtesy to be accurate. I said you could be found at fault if you have an accident while towing overweight. Any ambulance chaser lawyer can get the towing specs for a truck and the trailer being towed.

This is a forum to share information not insult people you don't agree with.
OK, lets play. First off, I never claimed to be an "expert." What I did say is that I took the time to check EVERY suspension and driveline component's part numbers between the F350 SRW and the F250 and that they are IDENTICAL other than the single upper overload spring and the taller spacer block. So, if you're going to quote ME, please be accurate. That's as simple as it gets. The part numbers are the same so the truck is the same. I've already looked and if you choose not to, feel free to revel in your own ignorance. As to the lawyer nonsense, start here. Google the term "hit by lightning." Then Google the term, "sued for being over your GVWR while towing your RV." See how many hits you get for each. So, if it's not worth the risk to tow over a sticker weight that is not set by the structure of a vehicle as verified by the same part numbers, then it's certainly not worth the risk to walk down the street as you may be hit by lightning. Better just hide in your basement. Bottom line is I NEVER INSULTED YOU. I said you were "ignorant" which by definition is not an insult and simply means you are lacking knowledge on a certain front. If you took the time to look up the part numbers of both trucks you would no longer be ignorant in this conversation nor would you disagree with me. The "engineering data" that you ask me to provide is available at any Ford dealer's parts counter or any online Ford parts dealer. Look at the parts fische for yourself, compare, and learn.

Oh, and one other point. Go to Ford's build and price. If you can order the identical Ford F350 SWR with a 10,000 GVWR package as opposed to the standard 11,500 with no change in the vehicles build simply to suite states that charge more for higher GVWR registration, you really find it hard to imagine that a 250 could also be the same with two minor changes? My gosh, the 350 can be ordered with 1500# difference in STICKERED GVWR with no change at all in the vehicle. Did engineers do that or did marketing???
Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #28

So according to your own admission the F250 and the F350 have different parts on the rear suspension from the factory.

"OK, lets play. First off, I never claimed to be an "expert." What I did say is that I took the time to check EVERY suspension and driveline component's part numbers between the F350 SRW and the F250 and that they are IDENTICAL other than the single upper overload spring and the taller spacer block."

Sorry, I don't put all my trust in Google, it's very dependent on how you word your search. If that's who you trust as your expert so be it.

Maybe calling people ignorant and always wrong is not insulting in your part of the country but it is insulting as far as I'm concerned.

Like I said, this is a forum to share information, not insult people and be argumentative. I'm sure the moderators will be along shortly to shut this down.

Tags
tow