Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
It's interesting to note we have "experts" on this forum that know more than the Ford engineers who designed these trucks.
In some states if you have an accident while towing overloaded according to the weight specs listed on the door jam you could be found at fault. Not worth it to me.
Taken is correct about the mechanical differences or lack of in the F250/350 SRW when we look at Fleet Fords spec sheets. I've read them as thousands of others have and know what Ford tells us.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas.../techspec.html

Now its for all to read. Simply click on your year model then click on F series super duty pickup. This opens Fords specs for dimensions.
Now scroll down through the charts. It doesn't take any kind of expert to read F250/350 SRW specs.

Notice F250/F350 SRW are in the same spec headings and separate from the DRW.

Basis difference is the F350 SRW has a higher rated rear spring pack and may have higher rated tires and wheels. However those higher rated tires and wheels can be a option for the F250.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several posts have been deleted or edited. Let's cool it down folks, discuss the issue and quit attacking each other. Thanks.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ok, doing a little research on the earlier superduties, 06 and earlier, the rear axle shafts are slightly larger 1.57"diameter on the 350 and 37 spline over the 35 spline and 1.50" diameter on the 250. Also the front axle on the 4x4 is a Dana 50 on the 250 vs Dana 60 on the 350. As I stated in my previous post about the GM 2500 vs 3500 and JimnLin just said the main difference between the 250 and 350 is the wheels and tires and the springs.
Doing the research shows the 250 have 2 leaves and the 350 has 3 leaves plus the overload. That is significant when talking about payload. Now I know there are many of these options available for the 250 and they will show up on the GVWR and GAWR of that specific truck.
Bottom line is, if you need a certain GVWR or GAWR to tow your trailer, order it that way.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Ok, doing a little research on the earlier superduties, 06 and earlier, the rear axle shafts are slightly larger 1.57"diameter on the 350 and 37 spline over the 35 spline and 1.50" diameter on the 250. Also the front axle on the 4x4 is a Dana 50 on the 250 vs Dana 60 on the 350. As I stated in my previous post about the GM 2500 vs 3500 and JimnLin just said the main difference between the 250 and 350 is the wheels and tires and the springs.
Doing the research shows the 250 have 2 leaves and the 350 has 3 leaves plus the overload. That is significant when talking about payload. Now I know there are many of these options available for the 250 and they will show up on the GVWR and GAWR of that specific truck.
Bottom line is, if you need a certain GVWR or GAWR to tow your trailer, order it that way.
Frank

Completely untrue. The axles are and have always been the same. CHECK THE PART NUMBERS. Also, the main spring pack is the same with only the overload being the difference. The front axles are also identical. Check the part numbers, not forum gossip. And don't quote that old Ford chart on axle diameter as it's been disproved over and over... The part numbers are the only way to tell 100%.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #33

I want to thank you all for your help. I have leaened a lot and feel more confident to make a more informed decision.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #34

Buy a Fiat (Dodge) truck and this thread can start all over again....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Ok, doing a little research on the earlier superduties, 06 and earlier, the rear axle shafts are slightly larger 1.57"diameter on the 350 and 37 spline over the 35 spline and 1.50" diameter on the 250.
This part gets talked about often on Ford truck forums.
Ford folks brought it to the attention on several Ford diesel websites that some of the listed rear axle specs are in the wrong column. Its funny they brought it to memberships attention years ago but looks like it will stay that way.

In other words the F250/F350 SRW use the Sterling 1.36-1.50-35 spline.

The F350 DRW uses the Dane 80 1.50-1.57-37 spline.

And the F450 uses the 2 pinion Dana 80 unit.

Yeah , Ford has many packages in the 250/350 series truck line. Some are redundant like the F350 SRW with a 10000k GVWR or 11200 GVWR in the exact same truck/cab selections.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Forget the dealer and the sticker weight. Read the 5th wheel tow rating for the truck.

Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Remember, the dealer is trying to make money, he doesnt care about your problems.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Forget the dealer and the sticker weight. Read the 5th wheel tow rating for the truck.
Bad advice. That same Ford towing guide also says you should NEVER exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle, and on most pickups the GVWR limits the cargo plus hitch weight to a lot less trailer weight than the tow rating.

The tow rating is GCWR minus the weight of an empty truck with no options and nothing in it. Nobody tows with an empty truck with nothing in it, so the tow ratings are overstated.

On my F-150, the Ford tow rating is 8,400 pounds, but I'm overloaded with my wet and loaded TT when it grosses only 4,870 pounds. With a 5er that grosses 8,000 pounds, well under the 8,400 pounds 5er tow rating, I was overloaded over both the GVWR and the rGAWR of my F-150 by over 800 pounds. With a cargo trailer loaded to about 6,200 pounds, plus some stuff in the bed covered by a cap, I exceeded the GVWR of my F-150 by 920 pounds.

So no, don't rely on the tow ratings without doing a lot more weighing and figuring so you don't exceed any of the weight ratings, not just the tow rating or GCWR.

The GCWR, on which the tow rating is based, tells you only the combined weight of trailer and tow vehicle that the tow vehicle can PULL. And yes, my EcoBoost powerhouse can easily pull a trailer that grosses 8,400 pounds. But the hitch weight of that trailer, along with other weight in the F-150, exceeds the weight the F-150 can HAUL without overloading the suspension and brakes of the F-150
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #38

Or, you could go to TheDieselStop.com for answers. You'll get Mr. Wren there too, as I've been reading his postings for years and years before getting on this forum. He knows a heck of a lot more about this subject than me.

My 2003 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel with the camper package has the same springs and the helper spring that the F350's have. But my Sterling cast iron rear axle housing is smaller in diameter than the F350's which gives me a lower pin weight capacity. I think the F350 uses different bearings, too.

All I can say is go for it. If your truck's uncomfortable towing that load, it's time to trade. The frame, suspension and brakes can handle it. The 6.2's also no slouch of an engine.

Tags
tow