Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Tongue weight

Hi all my Tt hitch weight is 604 and my hitch for my truck is rated for 600 pounds. Do you think it would be safe to use this hitch since it is only 4 pounds over. Is there wiggle room with theses numbers. Thanks for you help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #2

If you are that concerned about 4 pounds, then move 4 pounds to the rear of the trailer.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A hundred pounds I would worry about. 4 pounds is round-off numbers.

But is that 4 pounds the most the tongue will ever exceed 600 pounds? Was the trailer loaded for bear when you weighed the tongue? Replacement spring bars are only around $100 to $200 dollars for the pair, depending on the hitch. Here they are for a Reese round-bar hitch - $156 for a pair of spring bars rated 800 pounds:
Replacement Round Spring Bar for Reese Weight Distribution System - 800 lbs TW - RP58114
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #4

I am just going off what it says on the tongue itself I have never weighed it. I do have storage up front with chairs and a few other things no more than 60-70 pounds would u suggest taking that stuff out when traveling? Thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

I would suggest weighing it and getting a weight distributing hitch with sway control.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I would suggest weighing it and getting a weight distributing hitch with sway control.
Ditto to this suggestion. Way back in the day when I had TT's I noticed a huge difference once I put a weight Dist system on. Last TT unit was an tandem axel airstream and it was by far the best TT for towing I had experienced and I used my weight dist hitch. Can't recall actual tongue wt. That was many years ago. But get a weight dist hitch. Well worth the money IMHO.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

My3girls, you have not been welcomed to he IRV2 family yet, so

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3girls View Post
I am just going off what it says on the tongue itself I have never weighed it.
Then your first post in this thread doesn't make sense. You said "my Tt hitch weight is 604". You must know the actual hitch weight (TW or tongue weight) before you can match hitch to trailer and to tow vehicle. If your actual TW is not 604, then what is it? Two ways to find out:

1] Weigh the tongue of the wet and loaded trailer with a tongue weight scale. I keep a Sherline tongue weight scale in my trailer and weigh the tongue frequently. Here's a link to the one I have:
Link: Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780

Or if you don't want to spend $125 for a tongue weight scale, then here's another way to determine hitch weight:

2] Weigh the rig on a truck scale twice, once with the trailer and once without the trailer. Add the weight on the two tow vehicle axles to get GVW. Subtract the GVW without the trailer from the GVW with the trailer, and the answer is TW (tongue weight) of the trailer.

You also said "my hitch for my truck is rated for 600 pounds". I assumed you meant your weight-distributing hitch, so that's why I suggested replacing the spring bars on your hitch. But if you meant that the weight-carrying (WC) rating of your receiver is 600 pounds, then you should not be towing a trailer with 604 pounds of hitch weight with a weight-carrying hitch. You need a weight-distributing (WD) hitch for any trailer with hitch weight over about 500 pounds. Your receiver is probably rated for a lot more than 600 pounds hitch weight with a WD hitch. So your receiver is probably okay, but you need a WD hitch rated for about 800 pounds hitch weight.

The word "hitch" without a prefix is confusing. The receiver is a receiver hitch. The shank or ball mount with a ball is a WC hitch. And a weight-distributing hitch, with or without sway controls, is a WD hitch.

Here's a receiver hitch:
Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch 87602

The receiver bolts to the frame of the tow vehicle. Often all you see from behind the vehicle is the little 2" square hole.

Here's a simple WC hitch that fits into the receiver:
Draw-Tite Class III Ball Mount with 2" Ball - 3/4" Rise, 2" Drop - 6,000 lbs Draw-Tite Ball Mounts DT40563

And here's my WD hitch with dual cam sway control that also fits into the receiver:
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66083
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #8

Thanks for all of your help smokey. The tongue weight is 604 and my Wc is rated for 600. My question is it safe to tow since it is 4 pounds over ? I have a sway bar but not a weight distribution hitch. I towed once so far and it was fine
Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I am just going off what it says on the tongue itself I have never weighed it.
With all respect, if the published dry tongue weight of your trailer is 604 lbs and you don't know what the actual tongue weight of the wet and loaded trailer is, then we're all just guessing here. You really need actual numbers to address your specific situation.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Rusty, take the time to weigh your trailer loaded how you tow. I had a portable heavy duty truck inspector meet me and weigh my trk and trailer at all wheels and tongue both hitched and un-hitched. This gave me the comfort of knowing exactly what the weights were at each of my 8 wheels (trk and trailer) and how well my equalizer hitch was doing. I like being confident.

Next, in my opinion I would not be happy towing at the top of my equipment's rating. I would spend the few hundred dollars to upgrade and be towing well under your limits...you will probably be more confident. Currently, I tow about 8000# with a 12000# hitch and a 2500 Diesel trk, the trailer does not even seem to be back there sometimes it is so smooth!!
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The tongue weight is 604 ...
Says who? Is that the published hitch weight from the trailer manufacturer? If it is, then that's the tongue weight of the "dry" empty trailer. The wet and loaded trailer will have more hitch weight than the dry TW. Your receiver with 600 pounds rating for TW with a WC hitch will be overloaded, and that's a no no.

Face it, you need a WD hitch, probably rated for 800 pounds TW, but you may need it rated for 1000 pounds TW, depending on the scaled tongue weight of your wet and loaded trailer. Your WD hitch should be rated for more than your heaviest actual TW. Your sway bar does nothing for hitch weight limits.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On my Toyota it is printed I can have up to 750 lbs. of tongue weight with a regular hitch or 1100 lbs if I use a weight distribution hitch. My posted dry trailer tongue weight is 525, but I believe I'm really at 700 lbs. wet.

Get a WD hitch...I bought mine on-line (delivered) for half of what my local hitch store wanted. Here is where and what I ordered..

Reese
Weight Distribution Hitch (800 lb) with Trunnion Bars
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #13

It's really important to weigh your tongue weight and get an actual number. Our actual tongue weight is almost double the factory dry tongue weight. As a result, we had to buy 1200 rated spring bars to replace the 800 lb ones we got before we actually got our new trailer. Never get fooled by any published factory dry weights.

Is it possible that your max. 600 lbs on the hitch is for no weight distributing hitch? With a WDH, the max. allowable goes up significantly. On our truck for eg., and I am going by memory (dangerous to do ), without a WDH, the max. tongue wt. is 500 lbs. With a WDH, it's 1250 lbs.

It might help if you say exactly what you have for a tow vehicle and also trailer.

Welcome to the technical side of owning an RV.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like a wdh is a no brainier now I just need to figure out my wet tongue weight. I called and left a message at the dealer I got it from to see if they have a scale. No response yet.