Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-05-2015, 04:45 AM   #1
Tongue weight

I talked on this forum about weight capacity on my Dodge Dakota and it looks like I'm OK to pull my 22ft Prowler. My concern is Tongue Weight and how to figure it out. My GAWR is 11,700 and actual Gross weight is 9860 lbs. and the hitch is 31/2 ft.I have WDH rated at 4-600 lbs. All that being said I have moved my fresh water tank from the side to front of trailer and while common sense tells me to travel with the tank empty [40 gal cap] I would like to know how much weight [water] I can carry. HOW CAN I FIGURE THE TONGUE WEIGHT ?

Vallance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club

Do you know how much the trailer weighs by itself?

CCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
Your GAWR is definitely not 11,700#, possibly that's your GCWR .
Here's a link with the specs for your truck, which can vary greatly based on your truck's configuration.
Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
All the weights on the trailer do not include propane tanks and house battery, or the WDH equipment... nor any of the stuff you have packed into the trailer, so there is no way for anyone here to tell you your hitch weight.

It is likely that your actual hitch weight will be close to 15% of the wet weight of the trailer, packed and ready to camp. My guess is you can bank on at least 600-650lbs, but maybe more.

Generally, the three holding tanks will (and should) have some liquid in them. The grey and black tanks on TTs are usually behind the axles, so adding weight to those actually reduces your hitch weight if this is the layout of your trailer.
And while keeping liquid in the tanks ads weight to the trailer, it also lowers the center of gravity and makes the trailer more stable.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Get a scale and measure it.
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Another way to find your tongue weight, other than the method linked by CCH, is to hook up your trailer, preferably with everyone and everything you would take camping and head for the nearest CAT scale.
CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale
Just get the weight for everything, making sure your steer axle, drive axle and trailer are on the correct scale pads. Drive off to the side somewhere and disconnect your trailer. Drive just your truck back on the scale and get that weight. The difference on your truck axle weights from your first weigh in will be your tongue weight. Adding that difference in weights to your trailer weight will also give you the GVW of the trailer fully loaded.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
A rule of thumb is to take 15 - 20% of the GVW of the trailer as an estimate for purchasing a trailer.

As suggested an actual scale weight it the best thing.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
I should have said I have the actual loaded trailer weight. 4760 lbs.Weighed the truck and trailer then weighed the truck separately. So that means my tongue weight should be approx. 500 lbs. Thanks.....

Vallance is offline   Reply With Quote

tongue weight, weight