Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tongue weight concern

Hey Guys

I am considering a DP with a hitch rating that reads 5,000 lbs weight carrying/10,000 lbs weight distribution. I do not intend to tow but want to carry a scooter that will weigh between 475# and 600#. The cycle lift will weigh close to 200# . If my understanding is correct I can only carry 500# on the existing hitch. My question is with alteration can I carry the scooter & lift and stay with in the vehicle limits?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #2

No. You will be overloading the hitch by nearly 50%, maybe more due to the location of the load.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
What if I replace the hitch?
Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's not always the hitch, but the chassis or frame may not handle higher loads.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
But as stated in my opening post, the hitch rating reads 5,000 lbs weight carrying and 10,000 lbs weight distribution.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is some scooter! 475 pounds? If the hitch is bolted to the frame of your DP, I really don't see how that could be a problem. But have a good hitch guy take a look at it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
What if I replace the hitch?
If by "hitch" you mean the receiver, then there are heavier-duty receivers available that can replace your current receiver. If there is not one made specifically to bolt onto the frame of your coach, then you'll need a good fabricator/welding shop to mount the new receiver. Ignore the weight-distributing weight capacity and concentrate on the weight carrying (WC) capacity of the new receiver.

But that may not be the total fix, as Route 66 pointed out. You need a good welding shop or fabricator who knows his stuff to analyze the frame of the coach where the current receiver is bolted on. My local farmer's welding shop, for example, can beef up the frame enough to handle a Class V WC hitch.

It sounds like you need receiver rated at least 800 pounds WC. Look for a Reese "Titan" receiver, like this one:
Reese Titan Class V, 2-1/2 inch Trailer Hitch Receiver 45014

Note that one will bolt onto a Ford truck, but probably not your coach chassis without some cutting and welding by your welding shop. But it's rated up to 1,200 pounds WC, so that one should do the trick for you.

Also, that one has a 2.5" receptacle for the shank to slide into. If your cycle lift requires a 2" receiver, any good hitch store will sell you an adapter that will shrink the receiver receptacle from 2.5" to 2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway4x4
That is some scooter! 475 pounds?
I suspect it's a handicap battery-powered scooter. My wife's handicap scooter probably weighs almost that much.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My concern is not the hitch or receiver because I know modifications will be required to install the scooter rack/lift. My concern is the coach itself, if it comes from the factory with a 5000# hitch, is the RV not limited to that?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
My concern is the coach itself, if it comes from the factory with a 5000# hitch, is the RV not limited to that?
No. The 5,000 limit is imposed by the hitch. To see what the coach can tow/haul, weigh the wet and loaded RV on a CAT scale.

>>> Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded coach from the GVWR of the coach. The answer is the max combined weight of the lift and scooter you can haul without overloading the suspension and brakes of the coach - provided your hitch can handle that much weight.

And if you're one of those that loads the RV to the max, then even the stock hitch limit may be more than you can haul without exceeding the GVWR of the coach. In that case you need to sell your sweetheart on the concept of reducing the weight of the stuff she hauls in the RV.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I am considering a DP with a hitch rating that reads 5,000 lbs weight carrying/10,000 lbs weight distribution.
That is what you can pull, that doesn't say how much downward weight that receiver will hold. My past SUV printed on the factory Toyota hitch said " 7200 towing limit, but 750 hitch tongue limit or 1100 hitch tongue with a weight distribution hitch.

So a WD hitch rating does you no good. You need to know what the hitch tongue limit is. Yes, it might be 10% of the 5000 towing limit which is the 500 lb you said. But is it state anywhere on the hitch area? You be lucky where it is 750lb and you would be OK...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight