Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Tongue weight - should I be concerned? Hitch weight 15% of trailer in stock form....

I am about the pull the trigger on a Forest River Palomini 180FB....single axle The lady and I really like the floor plan and it has the off road package which is nice.

PaloMini Travel Trailers by Palomino

Digging further into the numbers I see that the empty weight is

UVW - 2821
Hitch weight - 443

So hitch is 15.7% of tongue out of the gate. The factory sticker on my trailer says 3100 lbs dry but is silent on the new tongue weight.

I am towing with a 2005 Tundra V8 that can tow 7100lbs but I am away from the truck and not sure what the max tongue weight is.

My concern is that the trailer's 19 gallon water tank is located under the bed well forward of the axle. I also had dreams of adding two 6v golf car batteries to the tongue. However, the rear bathroom does have a lot of storage. Heavy things can go back there like tools and the rock climbing gear to help take the weight off of the front. Additionally, the black and grey tanks are mounted aft of the rear axle.

I have already accepted that I will for sure need a WDH...but this is all theoretical. I have never towed anything this large, never owned an RV, and didn't know what a WDH was up until about 2 weeks ago

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just from your picture, you can tell this trailer with the single axle set so far back is going to be "tongue heavy".

Add in you want to add two 6 volt batteries which sit up front, plus your storage door, and I'm going to assume your bed is up front with storage under it will all add to a lot of weight up front.

Again I'm assuming, the 05' Tundra must be a 4.6L the smaller V-8. I have the newer Tundra 5.7L V-8 rated at 10,000 towing and a hitch tongue limit of 980 lbs.

Weigh wise your fine, tongue weight will be heavy, but you should be under it's limit. You will need a weight-distribution set-up.

** Back about 6-7 years ago, Toyota gave us a Tundra (4.6L) / (double cab) as a loaner vehicle, I did feel at the time it was under powered towing our (at the time)2005 25' tt weighing about 5000 lbs. wet.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #3

The higher tongue weight in itself is not a problem if it doesn't take you over the truck's payload.

If the designers were smart they configured the trailer so the tongue weight would not be too low with full holding tanks.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
In a trailer in this price range and length, keeping it to a single axle saves "cost" and "floor space". A tandem axle trailer will always handle much better. This trailer will be "NOSE HEAVY" but the Tundra should be will with in its capacities.

Even the 26' hybrid trailer I have now , because the couch / kitchen slide is towards the front of the RV, it rather tongue is heavy at (550 lbs. dry). I do have a rear storage compartment I store all my heavier tools, toolbox, jack, chokes, power cords to help off-set somewhat.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I am about the pull the trigger on a Forest River Palomini 180FB...
You threw me for loop there. No such thing as a PaloMini by Forest River. However, I looked further and found the PaloMini by Palomino RV- the same folks that make Puma RV trailers.
PaloMini Travel Trailers by Palomino

Quote:
Digging further into the numbers I see that the empty weight is

UVW - 2821
Hitch weight - 443

So hitch is 15.7% of tongue out of the gate.

The factory sticker on my trailer says 3100 lbs dry but is silent on the new tongue weight.
Ignore those dry and unloaded weights. Most TTs have hitch weight of 13% to 15% of loaded trailer weight. Since your dry hitch weight is about 15% of dry trailer weight, then assume that your wet and loaded hitch weight will be about 15% of the wet and loaded TT.

GVWR 3943. 15% of 3943 is 591. So your wet and loaded tongue weight should not be more than about 600 pounds,

Quote:
I am towing with a 2005 Tundra V8 that can tow 7100lbs but I am away from the truck and not sure what the max tongue weight is.
Not to worry. With a weight-distributing hitch your tongue weight of less than 600 pounds will not overload the receiver hitch.

Quote:
I have already accepted that I will for sure need a WDH..
Yes. With tongue weight of more than 500 pounds, don't leave home without a good WDH with very good sway control. And don't settle for a cheap WD hitch, such as a Reese Pro Series. Get a Reese Strait-Line, or a Blue Ox SwayPro or an Equal-I-Zer as a minimum. You need one that has 600 or 800 pounds max tongue weight (TW).
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight