Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Too confused on Towing capacities

I got a new 2016 Coleman 192RDS and was towing with a 2011 Nissan Pathfinder. It felt ok but I would sometimes feel I was getting pushed around. Of course the trailer dealer said the same thing, "you can pull anything on the lot". So, I went out and bought a 2016 Chevy C2500 Z71 Crew Cab, I think that should handle it. Now I'm just wondering how big I can go on the next trailer!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

Roughly 13,000# GVWR trailer...........

Depending on how much 'real payload' you have AFTER subtracting all the camp ready weight (you, fuel, passengers, all the stuff inside cab, any stuff in truck bed and hitch weight)

After that math is done.....how much payload do yo have left?

Old 06-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

Current Trailer says GVWR/PNBV 7600 LB
GAWR (Each Axle) 3500 LB

Cargo carrying capacity calculated with fresh tank full 3550 LBS
Old 06-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Load the tow vehicle (TV) with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing. Go to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck (CAT) scale, fill up with fuel, then weigh the wet and loaded TV. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded TV from the GVWR of the TV. The answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight.

If the wet and loaded TV did not include the head of your weight-distributing hitch, then subtract about 75 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight to get payload capacity available for tongue weight.

Divide the payload capacity available for tongue weight by 0.13 and the answer is the max GVWR of any travel trailer you want to consider.

If the wet and loaded TV did not include the installed fifth wheel hitch, then subtract about 125 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight to get payload capacity available for pin weight (weight of the kingpin on the hitch).

Divide the payload capacity available for pin weight by 0.18 and the answer is the max GVWR of any medium size fifth wheel RV trailer you want to consider.

Understand that those tow formulas will give you ball-park estimates, not exact numbers. Tongue weight of a wet and loaded TT varies from about 12% to about 15%, and I use the average of 13 percent. Pin weight varies from about 16% to about 20% for medium-size 5ers that are not luxury RV coaches, with the average of about 18%. Larger and more luxurious 5ers have a higher percentage of pin weight, but you cannot tow one of those with a 2500 without being overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If the wet and loaded TV did not include the installed fifth wheel hitch, then subtract about 125 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight to get payload capacity available for pin weight (weight of the kingpin on the hitch).
That 125 pounds assumes your TV has the factory 5er prep kit installed and your hitch will plug into that prep kit. If your TV doesn't have the optional 5er prep kit. them use 200 pounds instead of 125 as the total weight of hitch and prep kit.

Yeah, 5er hitches are heavy. For example, Reese Titan 16 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch - Serrated Dual Jaw - 16,000 lbs…Shipping Weight: 127 pounds

Reese Quick-Install Custom Base Rails and Outboard Installation Kit for 5th Wheel Trailer Hitches…Shipping Weight: 80 pounds

127+80 = 207
Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks SW!
You answered some questions for me also. But for right now we are happy with our 2500HD/6.0/4.10 and our piddly 19ft TT. The truck has been real happy towing that even though we would like to move up to something with a little more square footage. JMHO it also kind of depends what type of camping is being done. Paved parking in RV parks, or a 5 hour drive 2 of which is gravel. One of the reasons we haven't upgraded to larger and newer for now until we start going So for winters.

Tags
fuse, tow, towing