Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't know about you but my plan is to live forever. So far my plan is working.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Attachment 128197

Saw this at Walmart. Truck looks pretty level surprisingly.
I don't care what anyone says but when I see massive fifth wheelers behind tiny trucks (even super duty's) and the trailer is taller, longer and has more mass than the tow vehicle, the tail is going to wag the dog under the right conditions.

MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
the tail is going to wag the dog under the right conditions.
Under the right conditions, you don't need a tail to wag the dog.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #18

Hey Starbreaker,really really old like 60's and 70's come on now. That might be old but not really really old.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #19

Soon as the kids graduate from high school today they are experts in everything.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #20

Kids today are experts as soon as the can understand how to use the tablet. And I'm only 35!!! 😭😭😭 Tells you how old I feel. Oh well maybe just maybe they will learn that they don't know everything sooner than I did. But I won't be holding my breath for that one.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #21

My father in law is pulling a forest river 5th wheel with a 2014 Ford F-150 farot and he has air bags. He's 73 and now I'm wondering if he's Towing with too little towing power. His 5th wheel model is in the pic below.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #22

I just took a look and I think he's ok - the 5th wheeler is 8000 dry and he can 5th wheel tow like 11000. Guess he's ok
Old 06-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #23

My dad tows a 2002 springdale with a 2008 gmc 1500. The truck tows it fine but after joining this site and going over his numbers he is over his payload. Ive advised him of this and he said he needs to get a bigger truck. Just cause it can pull it doesn't mean it should. I started my adventure looking at a 38' 5ver that was under my then 1/2 tons tow rating. Would it have been safe? No! I have since found a great used 1 ton and now looking at 40'+ 5vers. I have no worries about going over my specs with this truck.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
I just took a look and I think he's ok - the 5th wheeler is 8000 dry and he can 5th wheel tow like 11000. Guess he's ok
You need to look at the payload rating.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
I see old people.. like really really old (60's and 70's) towing like that all the time. I just slow way way way up.
So what are you saying??
Old 06-12-2016, 03:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano 2 View Post
Like they say, what you are, I once was. What I am you will soon be. I'm 60. I tow a 6k travel trailer with my 1/2 ton and am damn good at it!
I did it for years with a 24' 5th wheel and a half ton 4X4. Trailer 7k truck 6k but when I went full time and the trailer weight got to 9k it was not fun, of course everything had drum brakes. Coming down Rabbit Ears Pass the first time taught me a lesson, second gear on the New Process trans.

Look what they talked me into now.

BTW I am now one of those "old" people.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #27

Trailer life.com is a great resource to find out what your factory tow rating is. And it is VERY specific per model/ engine/ rear end etc.

My Ram 1500 Ecodiesel comes in at 7,800 lbs max trailer rating. When a factory trailer rating is issued, they assume a full tank of fuel and one 200 lb adult. Every pound you add AFTER that reduces the tow capacity pound for pound. A fully loaded ( kids, grill firewood, bikes etc) truck can't as effectively pull as much as an empty truck. And effectively means safely.

My TT weighs about 5,600 lbs plus gear pushes me up to 7,100 lbs. Less the wife and maybe an adult daughter, we are just under the real tow rating. It seems to pull fine ( been to Florida and back, about 2,300 miles) but hasn't been in the mountains yet.

Almost any truck can pull almost any trailer. But it is easy to go in a straight line on a straight road with no wind or weather. It is not so easy to fight wind, heavy truck traffic and downhill grades in a truck that is being used beyond what it was intended for.

As a former DOT Enforcement Officer, large RV trailers and MH's were not exempt from the laws of physics.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
You need to look at the payload rating.
It isn't just the payload rating. You need to consider two other things. First, you need to consider the Gross Combination Weight (GCW). GCW is the weight of the loaded vehicle plus the weight of the fully loaded trailer. It is the actual weight obtained when the vehicle and trailer are weighed together on a scale.

The second thing to consider is the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR). GCWR is the maximum allowable weight of the towing vehicle and the loaded trailer - including all cargo and passengers - that the vehicle can handle without risking damage. The measured GCW must NEVER EXCEED the GCWR. (Emphasis added)

Source: http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Nov12.pdf

I used to tow a travel trailer with a Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 145" wheelbase with the 3.5L EcoBoost V-6 and 3.31 gearing. According to Ford, my maximum loaded trailer weight was 9,800 lbs (I did not have the Limited trim which had a max loaded trailer weight of 6,600 lbs) and my GCWR was 16,100 lbs. As long as I am below those two numbers, I am fine according to Ford (page 17 of the source document).