Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #29

No, not just. But when looking at 5th wheels you have to look at payload. If it's a travel trailer you must also look at the trucks tongue weight rating. Which you'll max out long before you hit any of the other numbers on a half ton.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #30

With anything your towing you have to be careful of all weight limits. Thats payload, gvwr, gcwr, gawr, max trailer weight. It's very easy to go over just one and never know it. 5vers have to watch payload more closely, but TT's have to watch that as well. They don't have the storage so they load up the tow vehicle with all the stuff that won't fit in the trailer. All that extra stuff now takes away from payload and tow rating. I've seen more than a few 1/2 ton pickup with quads in the bed and towing a large TT. They were over numerous numbers and I made sure to stay away from them.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #31

Too much trailer for a 1500?

I used to pull my 2015 Raptor 300M with a 2008 Chevy Duramax. I knew I past my limit but the truck pulled it so I figured I was fine. It's not until I upgraded to a Ram 3500 dually that I noticed the huge difference. I was never really in control with the 2500. The coach was pushing me and actually throwing my rear end around. I would have to keep a tight grip on the wheel at all times just to stay in control. I actually feel 100 times safer now. You hear it all the time that someone is over their limit but it's ok the truck can handle it well I would never do that again. I can't believe I put my family at risk like that.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #32

Something else that came to mind is I see a lot of trucks pulling large trailers with regular side mirrors and you know that they can not see around the trailer they are pulling. Having the right truck to pull the right trailer makes the vacation a whole lot more enjoyable.

Reminds me of growing up in the country and seeing a farmer with a bunch of logs hanging out the back of his F-100 to cut into fire wood. And with every bump the front wheels would loose contact the the road, you could see light under them. Must be why he was only doing 5 or 10 MPH.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
in Europe, where gas is $10 bucks a gallon, people pull their "caravans" with small 30mpg cars. The back end is way down, and the headlights point skyward. It's hilarious to see those folks taking off on a "holiday" and nobody thinks a thing about it.

Like here, I'm sure, the travel trailer accident rate is low....merely because fellow travelers are afraid of them , and give them a wide berth.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #34

It's not pulling that's important... it's stopping it when suddenly needed that counts.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
It's not pulling that's important... it's stopping it when suddenly needed that counts.
If you're towing, I don't care what kind of vehicle you have, it takes longer to stop. Even a properly equipped semi will take 2-3X the distance that a car would. Here in New England I see people every year driving way too fast with their AWD or 4x4 vehicles on snow covered roads. They may be able to go but they forget about stopping. As you said, just because you can go doesn't mean you can stop.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
I had a 1990 Jeep Cherokee I used to pull a 17' SeaRay Ski and Fish. The trailer and boat's GVWR was well within the Jeep's towing capacity. The only problem was the Jeep didn't have the stopping capacity for the trailer and boat. I once came upon an intersection where the stop sign was hidden by overhanging tree branches. I should have had enough room to stop, but the trailer and boat pushed me through the intersection. Luckily, the intersection was empty. After that, I drove like I was towing the Titanic.

Currently, I tow a 2013 36' EXCEL Limited, GVWR of 18,750 lbs., with a 2012 F450 Chassis Cab with a Highwayman RV Tow Body. On our trips to Colorado, I pull around 30,000 lbs. (F450's GCWR) up and down the mountains in New Mexico and Colorado without any trouble. Even the Raton Pass and San Luis Pass are not a problem. Of course, I have to use lower gears up and down the passes. The tow/haul feature is a great help, as well as, the ability to lock-out the higher gears.

As long as you properly match the truck's capabilities to the trailer's requirements, you should not have a problem.
CARLnJANIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Was that the Walmart in Canada where they voted to unionize and they closed it after that?
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #38

It's way to much trailer for a 1500, but it likely pulls it just as good as any small block gas engine will. It probably handles ok being that it's a fifth wheels. The frame probably won't snap in half and they probably won't cause a catastrophic accident.

BUT everything on the rear end of that truck is over the weight it was designed for which is not good long term. I would not do it if I had a choice. Who knows this guy may have an F-350 dually diesel that has injector issues right before a holiday weekend, and the only option was to hook to his 1500 or not go....
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
in Europe, where gas is $10 bucks a gallon, people pull their "caravans" with small 30mpg cars. The back end is way down, and the headlights point skyward. It's hilarious to see those folks taking off on a "holiday" and nobody thinks a thing about it.

Like here, I'm sure, the travel trailer accident rate is low....merely because fellow travelers are afraid of them , and give them a wide berth.

I work in a factory and there's a lot of Mexican immigrants here and many work on cars. I asked them for opinions on my over exceeding the gwcr issue and they said the same thing. They said that in Mexico no one checks ratings they load them up and drive and sometimes the trucks are ready to snap in half but handle it well as long as you drive with care. We'll find out how I did when I update my thread on 7/12 after my return from a 400 mile trip while exceeding my gwcr by about 500 lbs.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #40

It would be one thing to put yourself at risk but when your family is in the vehicle it's just stupid. Not to mention putting other people on the road at risk. You get a vehicle that can handle or you get a smaller trailer.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They say 60% of people towing are overloaded. That's just scary! My wife and I were crushed when we found out my truck didn't have enough payload to tow a fifth-wheel. But every dealer I went to said I could do it no problem! Just look at the sign on the side of that giant Fifth-wheel that says 1/2-ton towable!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
I work in a factory and there's a lot of Mexican immigrants here and many work on cars. I asked them for opinions on my over exceeding the gwcr issue and they said the same thing. They said that in Mexico no one checks ratings they load them up and drive and sometimes the trucks are ready to snap in half but handle it well as long as you drive with care. We'll find out how I did when I update my thread on 7/12 after my return from a 400 mile trip while exceeding my gwcr by about 500 lbs.
I think it's a little different in Mexico. I've been there many times and have yet to see a Mexican family loading up a giant 30' travel trailer to take off for the weekend. They load up their trucks out of necessity. They can't afford to buy a 3/4 ton truck to carry what ever it is they are using for work.
They take that chance because they have no other choice. It's a whole different lifestyle over there. You do what you have to do to survive.