Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

Top kick

I am looking for some advice. I just bought a 40' Raptor and with its weight and size, I feel that my Duramax 2500HD is a bit undersized to move thus beast
I am looking at a top kick 5500 to tow with
Are top kicks nice and are they enough of a truck to pull and handle the Raptor
Regards
Mark
Abbeyroad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If a Topkick shares any parts like a inside or outside door handles, door hinges, tilt column parts with those on their pickups like they used to then I just look at other brands like the Dodges, Fords, and ever the more traditional Internationals, or even larger Fords Like the F-650 and F-750s.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeyroad2 View Post
I am looking for some advice. I just bought a 40' Raptor and with its weight and size, I feel that my Duramax 2500HD is a bit undersized to move thus beast
I am looking at a top kick 5500 to tow with
Are top kicks nice and are they enough of a truck to pull and handle the Raptor
Regards
Mark
I'm glad that you are being responsible to make sure you find a vehicle that can properly tow your trailer. Too many times I see small trucks pulling these massive trailers and I just want to stay away from them. Just because the engine can pull the trailer doesn't mean it is safe. Thank you.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

A 550 will work but you'll waste a ton of money on the Top Kick...I'd suggest looking at class 7 or 8 trucks for a lot less money, and probably better fuel economy.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #5

Okay so a truck such as an International 4700 or Freightliner FL70. Is that what you mean? Do these come in Crew Cabs? I had been told that I could not tow my Raptor with a truck having 22.5" rims, is this true? Would mods need to be done to make this happen?
Thanks
Mark
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

Yes, I believe a 4700 or an FL, can be had in a crew cab, they would be rated as a class 6 maybe 7 (goes by weight, somewhat on axle configuration, which in turn dictates weight carrying/licensing capacity), a Class 7 could be an OTR truck that has had one rear axle removed, thus lowering the weight carrying capacity, but it more often than not started as a class 8 truck (2 rear axles) such as a Volvo, Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc....mine happens to be a singled KW. My cost was $20K + $7.5 K to set up for RV service (because I was not in a position to do any of the modification work myself), it had previously been singled.

You'll probably pay dearly for a 4700/FL70 Crew Cab configuration (unless you run across a super deal) vs a retired OTR truck. No reason that I know of that would dictate a certain wheel size to tow a toy hauler....what reason was given to you ?

What is the underlying reason you need a crew configuration.... kids ? Dogs ? How many ? The sleeper of a big truck can easily be converted to accommodate multiple passengers with seatbelts.....just depends on your checkbook, but measured against the cost of a 4700/FL 70, IMO a modified big truck would be more economical.

Typical mods would be removing the commercial hitch, adding an RV air hitch (might include some frame work on the truck), some truck wiring to accommodate the RV wiring vs the original commercial trailer wiring, plus whatever creature features you desired....tool boxes, cab work, custom bed, etc. Spend some time on the Escapees website, HDT thread for a ton of info. To get an idea of what is available, look at the trucks on racingjunkdotcom.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #7

Howdy!

Been there done that! When we started fulltiming we purchared a new GM C5500 with custom hauler bed. The truck did its job towing our large 5er. Problem was now that GM no longer makes MDT trucks we started having problems finding parts for the truck. We traded it last year for a 4400 International custom hauler from 2L trucks in Texas. I would suggest looking for a MDT or HDT but not in the GM (Chevorlet o GMC) line. You better off with International or Freightliner.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #8

We need the crew cab for dogs &/or kids. I really appreciate the info
I have much to learn and digest. I just looked at an 06 Volvo this morning with 500 K miles and a 10 sp automatic. These are way too big for my wife and I to be toolin around rapid city. I will keep reading and learning
Mark
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

Singled, that Volvo won't be much longer than a 1 ton....my Dodge is a little over 20', my KW is 26'. In SD, licensing a big truck is a snap, and a normal drivers license is adequate.

Good hunting
Gemstone
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #10

So the 7500 you spent for
The conversion included the singling or not?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #11

No, mine was already singled. Log into the Escapees website, HDT thread, ask some other users about the length of their 3 axle trucks.....go to the "for sale" thread to see if there are any trucks for sale, already singled, ready to tow.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a couple of really nice HDT's already converted for sale on the Escapees site. Check them out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote