Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #1

Totaled my rig

At noon on June 27, 2014 near Quinter, Kansas, on I-70. Semi was doing 45-50 in a 75. I wanted to do 55-60. As I went around him, an exceptionally strong wind hit me broadside. Started to fishtail; couldn't get out of it. The entire 50' rig did a 180 into the right shoulder, Silverado ended up on its top, travel trailer ended up on its side. Amazingly wife and I and both dogs are all OK.

I'm not a newbie, either. I have about 10,000 miles on this rig, including 50 mph winds across Wyoming. The state trooper told us two semis were literally blown on their sides the week before near the same spot.

I replaced the Silverado with a Mazda5. Our RVing days are over. I only post this because you guys have been very helpful in the past, and I just want to caution everyone to be really careful out there. Although, in this instance, I don't know how I could have been any more careful. Truck and TT were both less than 3 years old, had both been checked out thoroughly before we left, I was at least ten mph under the speed limit, it was a clear day. Sometimes, stuff just happens.
EZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider View Post
At noon on June 27, 2014 near Quinter, Kansas, on I-70. Semi was doing 45-50 in a 75. I wanted to do 55-60. As I went around him, an exceptionally strong wind hit me broadside. Started to fishtail; couldn't get out of it. The entire 50' rig did a 180 into the right shoulder, Silverado ended up on its top, travel trailer ended up on its side. Amazingly wife and I and both dogs are all OK.

I'm not a newbie, either. I have about 10,000 miles on this rig, including 50 mph winds across Wyoming. The state trooper told us two semis were literally blown on their sides the week before near the same spot.

I replaced the Silverado with a Mazda5. Our RVing days are over. I only post this because you guys have been very helpful in the past, and I just want to caution everyone to be really careful out there. Although, in this instance, I don't know how I could have been any more careful. Truck and TT were both less than 3 years old, had both been checked out thoroughly before we left, I was at least ten mph under the speed limit, it was a clear day. Sometimes, stuff just happens.
Sorry to hear this, glad you, wife and dogs or OK. What hitch were you using.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to hear that everyone walked away okay. Enjoy wherever life takes you next.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to hear about this. It's not the way anyone would want to end their RV lifestyle. Thank god you and family are okay. Thanks for telling us about your expeience, it may help someone else.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
glad to hear everybody is ok. Sorry about your rig. One if the reasons we went from truck and trailer to a motorhome was me getting tired if the uneasy feeling I got once in a while from stuff passing me or me passing other stuff. Always had a bit of fear something similar would happen. Still working on getting the moho all settled down (sway bars, tire pressures, etc.) but much more relaxed now. Hate to see this end your camping days. Try renting a moho and see if that brings you back.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #6

Very sorry to read of your incident.
I've been victimized by strong winds on I-80 in Minnesota...I slow'd WAY down and stayed there. I don't typically pass vehicles anyway hauling along at 55-60. I could jus' turn-in for the day as I'm unemployed...not so easy if you have a schedule to keep.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Sorry to hear this, glad you, wife and dogs or OK. What hitch were you using.
Equalizer hitch. 2011 Silverado half-ton. 2012 Rockwood 26' TT. I even weighed the whole rig at a truck scale. Everything was within spec. And I had the TT and truck checked out. Had TT wheels repacked with grease, truck oil changed. All systems checked out.
EZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of this. It must have been a life altering experience for sure.

Glad everyone is OK but sorry you're leaving the lifestyle.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
EZRider, This is so sad. I am grateful you and yours are ok. This is one reason why the journey is the destination in my life....
I plan to never be in such a hurry I can't wait things out, although, as you know being a Kansan... that could be a week or more for the weather to settle.
You enjoyed your ride while you had it. Work at leaving the trauma of this behind you. It could have happened to any sort of rig... Motorhome, or just a car as the trooper stated it took 2 Semi's the week before.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sad this ended the RV life for you. Give it some time and you might be back in another way. At least your TV was a big safe one. The wind is something most people don't consider when thinking TV vs TT. Your combo was correct and still got taken out. There are many ways to vacation, enjoy your new one.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. I have a feeling that trucker knew something. But beyond that.

Glad to hear "PROPERTY DAMAGE" was the accident type.

Hate the Personal Injury type

REALLY HATE the Fatal types.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
1/2 tons don't control TT's well huh.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First of all, glad you are all OK. The reason semi truck/ trailer will even go, is the surface area ratio from the trailer to tow vehicle. Also the trailer loaded or empty.
I know many folks tow the same way, and you go a lifetime without this happening.
This spring/summer has had some extreme weather. We in Northern Ohio have have had 4 tornados touch down in less than a month. On a relatively calm day I was sitting underneath my awning, heard a strange noise and sat there while my awning vibrated and suddenly flew up in the air up on the roof. It broke cast metal mounting brackets. Must have been a microburst or something.
I wouldn't have believed it had I not been sitting there. An old style Dometic 22 ft awning staked to the ground.
Stuff happens.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote