Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #1

tow a 99 glendale golden falcon 5th wheel

Hi. I'm considering a truck to tow this 5th wheel. dry weight on the 5th wheel is 9100 lbs.

I'd like to stay under $20k on a reliable older truck.

does this one look like it would work:
2004 F350 Super Duty 6L diesel V8:
curb wt: 6000
GVWR=9900
GCWR=20000
max towing capacity=13,400

I'm finding it challenging to understand/find something that will safely tow this 5th wheel. thanks! other suggestions also appreciated.
jrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Yup that should do it quite handily
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

There have been problems with the Ford 6.0L diesels--2004 was just about the first year it came out (actually in late '03, so some '03s had either the 7.3 or the new 6.0)--and you may be looking at some major problems. Do you know anything about the history and maintenance records?
Google "Ford 6.0L diesel problems" and see what comes up....
I had 2 of them, both began having problems around 80k miles, headgaskets on one, EGR cooler on the other--both expensive repairs.
Also, Google "Bulletproofing the Ford 6.0L diesel"
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #4

I wouldn't touch a 6.0 Ford diesel with a ten foot pole. Just do a quick google search to see what I mean.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #5

thanks for the warning! anybody have a recommendation? is it true that I probably need a diesel?
jrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Julia, and and to our campfire.

Yeah, I know you're not brand new on IRV2.com, but you've been hanging out in the motorhome forum and just now joined us in the RV trailer forum.

Dry weight is a useless spec. You need max wet and loaded weight (GVWR). But Glendale went belly up 10 years ago, so they're no help. I found Glendale RVs on NADAguides, but no GVWR or cargo carrying capacity (CCC). So all we can do is guess.
1999 Golden Falcon by Glendale Tour Edition Fifth Wheel Series M-29 RG Specs and Standard Equipment | NADAguides

My guess is that the wet and loaded 5er could weigh up to 12,000 pounds and have pin weight of about 2,000 pounds. So I'll use 2,000 pounds pin weight as my criteria to match up the Glendale M-29 RG to a suitable tow vehicle. If yours is not an M-29 RG then you can do your own math.

Quote:
does this one look like it would work:
2004 F350 Super Duty 6L diesel V8:
curb wt: 6000
GVWR=9900
GCWR=20000
max towing capacity=13,400
The curb wt is way understated. Add family, toolbox, 5er hitch, and a full tank of diesel, and you'll weigh a lot more than that.

The GVWR is accurate and is probably your limiter. If you can limit the weight in the wet and loaded truck so it weighs less than about 7,500 pounds before you tie onto the trailer, then you can tow that trailer without exceeding the payload capacity of the F-350 SRW.

7,500 pounds truck and 12k 5er means you will gross less than the 20k GCWR of the tow vehicle, and the total weight on the 4 truck tires should be less than the 9,900 GVWR. So you should be good to go, with enough suspension and brakes to carry the hitch weight without being overloaded, plus enough power and torque to not overheat anything in the drivetrain and not be the slowpoke holding up traffic on steep grades.

Big caveat! The 2004 6.0L PowerStroke diesel was a wonderful engine AFTER it was bullet-proofed by an excellent mechanic. But that expensive bullet-proofing was required. So be sure that the one you buy has already been bullet-proofed, else you could have an expensive mess on your hands.

To learn more about the PowerStroke 6.0L diesel and the mods required to bullet-proof the engine, surf to Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com and get into the 6.0L forums and FAQs.

Quote:
is it true that I probably need a diesel?
I would not even think about trying to tow a 12k 5er with a gas engine.

Full disclosure. I'm a Ford diesel fan and have been a moderator on TheDieselStop for about 18 years. But I never owned a 6.0L.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #7

Yes you need a diesel. Preferably a F350/Ram 3500.

My 5er had a dry weight listed at 5800lbs, so I bought an F250 V-10 gasser to pull with. Which was planned 'cause momma hates the stench of diesel.

It just does the job, because the trailer has never left the driveway at less than 9000lbs...unless i leave the bike at home...then it's 8800-8900. When I weighed it, it was a rude awakening...

The guy I bought the trailer from had no idea what the trailer weighed, but with a dry weight of 5800 on the sticker, we didn't think it would be over 7000 or 7500 the way it sets.
Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow