Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Confession time. I mixed up the bed size between the Airstream 16' and the Casita 17'. The Airstream has the regular bed with "three-quarter" size mattress, 48x78. I don't see a size for the "full size" dinette/bed in the Casita, but it's probably not the normal full size of 54x75. So if you don't want to sleep on foam seat pads, then you'll probably still need a custom-size mattress in the Casita. But measure the space before you order the mattress.

Most mattresses in campers are either foam rubber of some kind, including the expensive Tempur-Pedic foam, or air mattresses such as the Select Comfort. So you can bend those things around and stuff them into any location in the camper. But I insist on a real interspring mattress in my camper, including a layer of memory foam in the euro-top layer. And the interspring mattresses don't bend much, so as Jonathan advised, be sure there is a path to the bed for you to get the mattress into the trailer before you spend the money for a custom-size interspring mattress. On the Casitta 17', it looks like you could turn the mattress on edge to get it in the door and turn the corner heading for the back.

I replaced the cheap stock mattress in my Joey with a 60"x80" queen-size Serta Euro-Top. Working by myself, it was a bugger dog bear to get the mattress turned and onto the bed after I easily got it in the door. With a helper it would have been much easier. Earlier I replaced the queen-size mattress in my 5er with a different Serta Euro-Top. That one was much harder, even with a helper, because of the stairs and the minimum headroom above the stairs. We had to bend the mattress a little, but not more than the limits Jonathan mentioned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #16

Captainkim,
2 years ago I've been in the same situation as you are know, had tons of advices and best of them included getting a used motorhome or getting a pop-up for my gas ML . I spent countless hours trying to sort out the truth and this efforts paid back big.
German midsize SUVs (ML, X5, Cayenne, Touareg, as well as Mercedes clones from Chrysler) are in the class of themselves and most assumtions as well as pickup derived " wheelbase formula" are mostly irrelevant. These vehicles are amazing in their overall versatility and towing performance will exceed of many bigger pickup trucks, provided that they are hitched correctly and TT is carefully selected given payload limitations. Nothing you do should be against the state laws.
Engine type is not important although many would prefer diesel or V8. In my experience 6 cylinder gasser is adequate for medium size trailer even on interstate grades. Multispeed transmission will always deliver adequate torque to the ground while keeping the engine in its sweet spot. I never had to exceed 4000 rpm on 5-6% grades at 55-60 mph.
Cooling capacity is impressive, these vehicles are designed forAutobahn after all. The only proven way to ruin these vehicles is by poor maintenance, not by towing.
Sway resistance is assured by short rear overhang, stiff suspensions and tires. ESP is extremely effective on spring sway if it started got whatever reason, I had it only once fir to loose sway bars.
HOWEVER. If you plan to tow a serious TT you need to use weight distribution and you have to reinforce your euro hitch receiver in order to do it. Go to canamrv.ca, Hitch Hints for more info.
Good luck

Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
Captainkim,
2 years ago I've been in the same situation as you are know, had tons of advices and best of them included getting a used motorhome or getting a pop-up for my gas ML . I spent countless hours trying to sort out the truth and this efforts paid back big.
German midsize SUVs (ML, X5, Cayenne, Touareg, as well as Mercedes clones from Chrysler) are in the class of themselves and most assumtions as well as pickup derived " wheelbase formula" are mostly irrelevant. These vehicles are amazing in their overall versatility and towing performance will exceed of many bigger pickup trucks, provided that they are hitched correctly and TT is carefully selected given payload limitations. Nothing you do should be against the state laws.
Engine type is not important although many would prefer diesel or V8. In my experience 6 cylinder gasser is adequate for medium size trailer even on interstate grades. Multispeed transmission will always deliver adequate torque to the ground while keeping the engine in its sweet spot. I never had to exceed 4000 rpm on 5-6% grades at 55-60 mph.
Cooling capacity is impressive, these vehicles are designed forAutobahn after all. The only proven way to ruin these vehicles is by poor maintenance, not by towing.
Sway resistance is assured by short rear overhang, stiff suspensions and tires. ESP is extremely effective on spring sway if it started got whatever reason, I had it only once fir to loose sway bars.
HOWEVER. If you plan to tow a serious TT you need to use weight distribution and you have to reinforce your euro hitch receiver in order to do it. Go to canamrv.ca, Hitch Hints for more info.
Good luck
Gene,, Thank you,, Porsche America called me yesterday and confirmed the #'s for me.. I'm considering a 25ft TT at about 5800lbs.. But am NOT sure about aluminum and or fiberglass sides. ANY suggestions out there??????
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #18

I am not aware of any proven advantages of one type of sidewall versus another. Smooth laminated fiberglass is more pleasing aesthetically and more likely to be associated with more upscale TT while aluminum is likely to be present in entry level or older models. Airstream is a totally different story.
What you should be aware about before your next step is that German trucks are not designed for weight distribution hitches unless proven otherwise. From other people experience I know that WV/ Porsche either prohibit there use our don't mention them at all in owners manuals. Without reinforcement you are risking to have poor towing performance at best or major disaster at worse. Hitch receiver will bend or our even disintegrate under tremendous twisting force from WD hitch. The only way around it is to find TT with very low hitch weight, use very little or no weight distribution and pray that your vehicle stability week not deteriorate. I was considering Passport 252 with only 430 lb on the hitch but my wife did not like the floorplan. End of story.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #19

For somewhat larger trailers that are still well within your limits consider the 19' or 21' Escape models. Considerably more expensive than a Casita but still all molded fiberglass, and less expensive than an Airstream.

Problems with the Escape trailers are you have to buy them directly from the factory, they don't offer discounts, and they are in such demand that the next ones available are early next summer.

The 19' model has an approximate dry weight of 2500 lbs. and a GVWR of 4000 lbs.
19 Foot Escape
The 21' model has an approximate dry weight of 3050 lbs. and a GVWR of 4500 lbs.
21 Foot Escape
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Suicide. It wont be able to control the trailer and keep it from swaying/fish tailing. You will loose control and the trailer will turn over.
Complete nonsense! What do you base this claim on?

I have a VW Touareg and tow a travel trailer (26'9" overall) at it does it with ease and total safety.
Same basic vehicle as the Ceyenne. I do have the V10 diesel and self leveling air suspension. Obviously no problem with power or brakes.
I can tow through the mountains and past trucks at 65mph on the highway with no problems at all. No sway... nothing!

These vehicles have a longer wheelbase than you think because they have very little overhang and the hitch is very close the the rear axle. They are much heavier than they appear, too. Mine weighs about the same as a Suburban.
I had a Hemi Ram 1500 before and the Touareg out-tows it any day of the week.
I also average 17mpg+ while towing!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkim View Post
Gene,, Thank you,, Porsche America called me yesterday and confirmed the #'s for me.. I'm considering a 25ft TT at about 5800lbs.. But am NOT sure about aluminum and or fiberglass sides. ANY suggestions out there??????
Check out the newer Winnebago towables.