Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

tow capabilities

have a Porsche Cayenne with 7700 lb towing and 615 on the hitch,,,hav not seen a Porsche tow a 25ft trailer.. I need help before I purchase a trailer...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

:welcome1:
I wouldn't if I were you.
BUT we need to know what model you have. Cayenne regular, diesel, S, S hybrid, GTS, turbo, or turbo S?
You need to weight the vehicle to see what it already weighs with you and full tank of fuel. Do you have a receiver hitch? You will need a weight distributing/sway control hitch. 7way wiring on the bumper. Brake controller.
What trailer are you looking at? 25' means nothing. What make/model? 25' trailers can be as light as 4k GVWR, or maybe up to 10k GVWR.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkim View Post
have a Porsche Cayenne with 7700 lb towing and 615 on the hitch
The 7,700 pound tow rating does not mean you can load the SUV full of people and tools and stuff and tow a trailer that grosses 7,700 pounds.

It does mean that with nothing in the SUV but a skinny driver, you can pull a trailer that grosses up to 7,700 pounds without overheating something in the drivetrain, and without being the slowpoke holding up traffic on hills and mountain passes.

That "615 on the hitch" is probably the weight carrying (WC) tongue weight capacity of the receiver. But it's a meaningless spec, because you don't tow a travel trailer with a weight-carrying hitch. If you look closely on the frame of the receiver, you'll probably find something that says something like "WC 650/5,000, WD 1000/10,000. The WD number gives you the limits of tongue weight and gross trailer weight with a weight-distributing hitch.

The limiter of how heavy a trailer you can tow without overloading anything is probably the GVWR of the SUV. (The GVWR is on the Federal Certification label, probably inside the driver's doorframe. That's the label that shows tire size and PSI, VIN, paint codes, front and rear GAWR, and month/year of assembly of the SUV.)

The best way to match SUV to trailer is to load the SUV with all the people, pets, tools, and whatever else that will be in the SUV when towing. Drive to a truckstop that has a certified automated truck scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded SUV. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV from the GVWR of the SUV, and the answer is the max hitch (tongue weight) weight you can tow without being overloaded.

Divide that max hitch weight by 15% (0.15) and the answer is the max GVWR of any travel trailer you want to consider buying. Guaranteed, it won't be anywhere close to 7,700 pounds. Probably less than 5,000 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #4

You may find a trailer that is within specs, but you and the car won't like it. If you are dead set on a TT get a real TV.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #5

There are a few trailers that would work. With a weight distribution and sway control hitch I see a 19' Airstream, Evergreen Element or Casita behind your Porsche.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #6

The most asked question in the forums.
What can I tow with my current vehicle ?
The most common answer , figure out what you want to tow , and size your tow vehicle accordingly.
This is JMHO. BUT!
Everything that made the Porsche an exciting vehicle to purchase , handling, tires , performance , will go in the dumpster if you put a TT behind it . Controlling a long TT, with a short wheel base SUV doesn't work. If used for towing , best to limit it to a pair of watercraft, for the 20 mile drive to the lake.
A properly balanced/loaded TT , will have 10> 12% of it's weight on the hitch, add in a receiver and bars and 615 lbs. won't go very far.
A 7700 lb TT would be 770 to 924 of hitch weight add in an easy 80 lbs for receiver and bars, and you see that wouldn't work. 400 lbs over on the hitch .
As Smokey, says weigh your SUV , and check your numbers, I'll bet by the time you have a loaded for travel weight on the Porsche and see what you have left
on the GVWR you'll probably be down in the 300 lb range for trailer hitch weight.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect most folks don't have a clue as to how capable the expensive Cayenne is. But you can forgetabout towing a 25' TT without being overloaded. You can pull a 7,700 pounds wagon-style trailer with no hitch weight nd nothing in the SUV but a skinny driver without being overloaded, but you cannot haul the hitch weight of a 7,700 pounds TT without exceeding the weight limits of your hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche
Towing
The Cayenne is quite simply the most versatile vehicle we have ever built. This includes the capability of being used as a tow vehicle. An optional Towing Package includes a manual detachable trailer hitch that accommodates a maximum braked trailer weight of 7,716 pounds, and a maximum tongue weight of 617 pounds. ...

Optional for all Cayenne models.
Taking them at their word, if the max hitch weight is 617 pounds, even with a weight-distributing hitch, then the max travel trailer weight would be about 4,113 pounds. That assumes the wet and loaded weight of the SUV subtracted from the GVWR of the SUV leaves at least 617 pounds available for hitch weight.

If you rely on only 10 to 12% hitch weight in your estimates, then you're probably going to be overloaded. In the real world, hitch weight of wet and loaded TTs is about 12 to 15%, and mine is a hair over 15%. So use 15% and you'll probably not wind up overloaded.

As tuffr2 noted, both Airstream and Casita make small TTs that have GVWR of less than 4,117 pounds. Casita comes in three lengths, 13, 16, and 17'. The 17' Casita has GVWR of 3,500 pounds.

Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers

In the Casita, the two dinettes convert into beds, but there is no "real" bed in the TT. For my use, I would probably replace the foam pads on the big dinette with a real Euro-top mattress (custom size 48x78), and then not try to convert the double bed back into a dinette.

Here's one source for that custom-size mattress. Change the size to 48x78 and the price is less than $700 for a Euro-top.
Corsicana 8320 Euro Top

Airstream is a luxury (read expensive) brand that no longer makes the 19' TT tuffr2 mentioned. But they now make a 16' with a GVWR of 3,500 pounds. Your Cayenne is at the top of the SUV price scale, so a new Airstream would seem to be a good match. Note the floorplan includes a real bed as well as a dinette that converts to a bed. I prefer a real bed.

Evergreen Elements are too heavy for your hitch. The lightest one has a GVWR of 5,200 pounds. So stick with the Casita or Airstream. There are other brands, but remember to not even look at one with GVWR over 4,113 pounds.

So look for a TT with GVWR less than 4,113 and you'll probably be good to go without being overloaded. My 19' ultra-lite TT has a GVWR of 5,600, and grossed 4,780 on one long 4,000-mile trip last year. But that TT would overload your Porsche.

Instead of a regular ultra-lite TT, also consider a pop-up TT. Lots of those available with GVWR less than 4,113. Here's one with hot water shower and GVWR of 3,810:
Rockwood Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #8

Is your Porsche Cayenne a TDI model or gas engine model? Do you have the DSG transmission; if so I would check out these sites (see links below) to see if the DSG auto can handle a trailer? I know my wife’s TDI DSG auto cannot tow a trailer of any size. No cooler for the transmission.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/

In my humble opinion I would look for a pick-up truck or large US made SUV to pull a RV trailer. A Porsche Cayenne is a great vehicle, would love to have one but I do not think it was every designed to really pull a trailer it is more of a sport SUV.

Jim W.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Suicide. It wont be able to control the trailer and keep it from swaying/fish tailing. You will loose control and the trailer will turn over.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Suicide. It wont be able to control the trailer and keep it from swaying/fish tailing. You will loose control and the trailer will turn over.
Disagree. That's true only with a cheap hitch. But with a ProPride hitch, no problem. If the OP can afford a Cayenne and an Airstream, he can afford a ProPride hitch.

Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I know my wife’s TDI DSG auto cannot tow a trailer of any size. No cooler for the transmission]
Wasn't there an optional factory trailer tow pkg available for her TDI? A tranny cooler should be part of the tow pkg. And if it doesn't have one, you could probably add it.

The OPs Cayenne has the optional tow pkg, so he should have the tranny cooler.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I tow with a Touareg (very similar to cayenne) and there is a large community of Airstream owners who do the same and years of good results. We also have a PU truck and while the wheel base issues can't be denied, The Touareg does well with both 19 and 20 foot Airstreams as well as most vintage models.

Airstream currently makes both 19 and 20 foot models that are within your parameters.

Flying cloud models: Airstream, Inc :: Specifications
Sport models: http://www.airstream.com/travel-trai...pecifications/

Another good option might be to purchase a fully restored Airstream circa 1960 - 1980. The earlier ones are MUCH lighter and tongue weights are lower. 60s models are collectible and you would expect to pay a little less than new prices for a fully restored one. My 26 foot Airstream Overlander has a tongue weight of 405 lbs and dry weight of 3800 lbs.

Some further thoughts: A double axle trailer is going tow more gracefully than a single axle. Single axle trailers are a little more squirelly feeling and much tougher to back up.

You are likely to run into some strident opinions about towing with a Cayenne (or Touareg) and I urge you to take them as well intentioned but with a grain of salt. Those who haven't driven these truck-ish rigs may not understand their capabilities.

Here's a link to some specs on vintage Airstream that may be helpful: Airstream, Inc :: Serial Numbers

You might try doing some googling on Touareg towing. They are very similar rigs and there are more of them on the road (more data) here's some intersting links:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ity-53163.html

These folks do lots of setups: http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Wasn't there an optional factory trailer tow pkg available for her TDI? A tranny cooler should be part of the tow pkg. And if it doesn't have one, you could probably add it.

The OPs Cayenne has the optional tow pkg, so he should have the tranny cooler.
SmokeyWren,
No need to since I pull a 5er and have the ultimate tow vehicle; a 2500HD 2008 MEG CAB Ram with the mighty Cummins 6.7L engine in it. The only thing better would be a 2013 or newer Ram with a Cummins in it, but since the engine is not even broken in yet (67K) I will keep the 08.

Jim W.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I suspect most folks don't have a clue as to how capable the expensive Cayenne is. But you can forgetabout towing a 25' TT without being overloaded. You can pull a 7,700 pounds wagon-style trailer with no hitch weight nd nothing in the SUV but a skinny driver without being overloaded, but you cannot haul the hitch weight of a 7,700 pounds TT without exceeding the weight limits of your hitch.

Taking them at their word, if the max hitch weight is 617 pounds, even with a weight-distributing hitch, then the max travel trailer weight would be about 4,113 pounds. That assumes the wet and loaded weight of the SUV subtracted from the GVWR of the SUV leaves at least 617 pounds available for hitch weight.

If you rely on only 10 to 12% hitch weight in your estimates, then you're probably going to be overloaded. In the real world, hitch weight of wet and loaded TTs is about 12 to 15%, and mine is a hair over 15%. So use 15% and you'll probably not wind up overloaded.

As tuffr2 noted, both Airstream and Casita make small TTs that have GVWR of less than 4,117 pounds. Casita comes in three lengths, 13, 16, and 17'. The 17' Casita has GVWR of 3,500 pounds.

Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers

In the Casita, the two dinettes convert into beds, but there is no "real" bed in the TT. For my use, I would probably replace the foam pads on the big dinette with a real Euro-top mattress (custom size 48x78), and then not try to convert the double bed back into a dinette.

Here's one source for that custom-size mattress. Change the size to 48x78 and the price is less than $700 for a Euro-top.
Corsicana 8320 Euro Top

Airstream is a luxury (read expensive) brand that no longer makes the 19' TT tuffr2 mentioned. But they now make a 16' with a GVWR of 3,500 pounds. Your Cayenne is at the top of the SUV price scale, so a new Airstream would seem to be a good match. Note the floorplan includes a real bed as well as a dinette that converts to a bed. I prefer a real bed.

Evergreen Elements are too heavy for your hitch. The lightest one has a GVWR of 5,200 pounds. So stick with the Casita or Airstream. There are other brands, but remember to not even look at one with GVWR over 4,113 pounds.

So look for a TT with GVWR less than 4,113 and you'll probably be good to go without being overloaded. My 19' ultra-lite TT has a GVWR of 5,600, and grossed 4,780 on one long 4,000-mile trip last year. But that TT would overload your Porsche.

Instead of a regular ultra-lite TT, also consider a pop-up TT. Lots of those available with GVWR less than 4,113. Here's one with hot water shower and GVWR of 3,810:
Rockwood Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River
If you order that Coricana Euro Top mattress, make sure you don't bend the mattress more than 20-30 degrees when you bring it into the trailer. There is a border rod (innerspring unit attaches to it) around the perimeter that will snap if the mattress is bent too far while bringing it through the door way.