Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

Tow Capacity vs. Practicality

Yesterday we attended our first RV show and found a tandem travel trailer that we really like for many reasons. The tandem axle being the primary. But, it also has electric levelers which comes in at #2. The rest of the TT has all the other amenities we were looking for in the weight and price range.

I have a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder with 26,000 miles with factory installed towing package. This vehicle has a 5,000 lbs. towing capacity. The TT we found has UVW of 3800 lbs and has electric brakes. This is the Wildwood Xlite 171RBXL.

Now the question. If we are meticulous about loading tow vehicle and TT and do not exceed 800 lbs. - that would be 500 lbs in the Pathfinder and 300 lbs. in the trailer - would it be practical to tow this trailer safely with our vehicle? We would not be exceeding the tow capacity of the Pathfinder.
Beach324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some people advocate staying at 80% or less of the tow rating. I haven't had a TT since 1988 and then I had a 26' TT and 3/4 ton pickup truck.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #3

You will be over weight pretty quick and also most likely payload with that trailer. The 3800 pounds is their guess of what it weighs. Water was over 8lbs per gallon there will always be something in the water tanks. You might be able to pack lite and be really close but you don’t have any wiggle room at all. By the time you add some kind of mattress topper to make the bed useable, pots and pans and anything in a medicine cabinet you will use that 1200lbs quickly.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #4

I don't think you can load the RV at 300 lbs or less and enjoy your trip. Chairs, clothes, kitchen appliances, all your sewer and water equipment, etc. It adds up quick. I would take the dry weight of the RV, add the carrying capacity and determine the max weight of the loaded RV and plan on towing that amount. If your truck isn't up to it, new truck or different RV. I agree with Mr D, reduce the towing capacity of your tow vehicle by 20% for safety and reduced wear and tear.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

A brief note about electric levelers as they appear to be important for you. Sometimes a manufacturer will use an electric leveler on the rear which has one motor and the two sides are ganged together to lower the legs lower in unison. This means you will have to block one side before lowering to make it work when on uneven ground. This is generally more of a pain than having hand crank independent levelers. If the trailer has two separate switches for the rear then go for it. No comment on TV suitability.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

The electric rear ones are STABILIZERS.....not jacks!....you can preload it a little, but the motors aren't tuff enough to lift the trailer...and the second leg will even out after the first leg makes ground contact....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach324 View Post
it also has electric levelers which comes in at #2.
I realize this isn't answering the main body of the question, which I respectfully suggest you have at least one answer to that would mimic what I would have written, but I find it interesting electric levelers are that important to you. I'm rehabbing a back injury and use a cordless drill with a 3/4" socket on it to drop my manual independent stabilizer jacks. I check for level by placing a 3 foot fluid level on the rear bumper and drive onto the Lego-style blocks to level the coach side-to-side if needed and then drop the stabilizers. I can have the trailer level and disconnected in less than 5 minutes most days, assuming the ground isn't icy like it was last weekend...
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No, you need a more capable tow vehicle. Ignore the tow rating and look at the cargo carrying capacity. Your truck might PULL 5000 pounds fine but can it CARRY 650 pounds of tongue weight plus 100 pounds for the hitch, cargo, passenger etc.? You will need a cargo capacity of over 1000 pounds to carry that trailer and a passenger with minimal other gear in the truck.

Also look at the actual loading sticker on the trailer, not the brochure. The weights listed on the brochure do not include ANY of the options you will likely consider as necessary such as A/C, awnings, propane and tanks and certainly will not include the leveling system, water, food, dishes and cookware etc.

It adds up pretty quick and most folks find out they are at or over the trailers GROSS weight the first trip. This is especially true with a smaller trailer with many options. That trailer may have a brochure cargo capacity of 800 pounds but only have 200 of it left by the time all the options are added.

Only you can know the condition and mileage of your truck and your level of skill as a driver. Those two things will determine how comfortable you will be coming down a twisty, steep mountain pass on a rainy windy day with a trailer that weighs more than your truck trying to push it in directions you do not want it to go. Do not assume it will be the best case scenario, under max weight with perfect weather on a flat straight road.

I would plan on 1000 pound safety margin for that truck so look for a trailer with a 4000 pound GROSS weight. Dry or "unloaded" weights are useless since nobody tows an empty trailer except for the first trip home fromm the dealer.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #9

2018 Wildwood Xlite 171RBXL.
Dry Weight ..........................3,836 lbs.
Payload Capacity ..................3,685 lbs. (payload is almost as much as dry weight)
GVWR .................................7,521 lbs,
Hitch Weight ...........................521 lbs. (this based on dry weight----14% tongue)

2019 Wildwood X-Lite 171RBXL is even heavier
Dry Weight ..........................4,092 lbs.
Payload Capacity ..................3,430 lbs.
GVWR .................................7,522 lbs.
Hitch Weight ...........................522 lbs.

Loaded trailer camp ready will have a tongue weight closer to 900 lbs + the weight of hitch
A bit too much trailer for your Nissan Pathfinder

Heck...the DRY weights would be pushing your 'published' 5000# tow limit.

In reality...you need to be looking at trailers with GVWR UNDER 5000# max

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #10

No. The Pathfinder is not capable of pulling that much weight safely and without breaking something.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
In the original post, it was stated that only 300 lbs was allotted to be carried in the TT.
I think you will find that this amount of added “stuff” is greatly underestimated.
The TT I previously had, had an dry weight of 4,480 lbs and a GVWR of 6000lbs.
I tried to be very careful of how much “stuff” I loaded into the TT, but when I did finally end up weighing the rig at a CAT scale I found I was within 300 lbs on the GVWR.
It all adds up, water, propane, bedding, food, chairs, clothes, pots and pans, tools, things to setup camp like chocks, levelers, hoses, sewer equipment etc.
It adds up quickly.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #12

Many who already own a vehicle encounter the unwelcome surprise that it's not up to the task of towing the TTs that we like.

There's absolutely no way that your Pathfinder is up to safely towing a 3,800 UVL trailer so don't even consider it. And don't listen to an RV salesperson who may advise you otherwise, they're number one priority is to make a sale, not to keep you and others safe.

Ditto on the comments regarding the "levelers" and I agree that they're more likely to be stabilizers. In any case I wouldn't base a purchase decision on them, a cordless drill works just fine. The same goes for an electric tongue jack. It's a great convenience but can be added DIY to any TT for $200 or so.

You wrote that you've attended your first RV show. This means that you really don't have enough knowledge to even consider buying at this time. Shows can be fun and give you an idea of what's out there but they're not good for objective education.

Keep reading this forum daily, perusing the new posts and you'll gradually build up a knowledge base that will keep you from making an expensive mistake. In addition to tow vehicle capacity, pay particular attention to the pros and cons of buying new vs. used and dealer vs. private party.

And don't get sucked into the "you need a 3/4 ton Diesel if you're going to tow" camp. There are plenty of TT that can easily be towed by a 1/2 ton gas crew cab pickup or similarly sized SUV. A Nissan Titan has a tow rating about 9,600# and a Nissan Armada has a rating of 8,500#.

In addition, when posting a question like your's, it's helpful if you ID the rig you're considering by year, make and model. That way you'll get more specific answers.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #13

You can always use my method of towing. If the current tow vehicle does not do the job comfortably buy a bigger tow vehicle, repeat as necessary until you get the right tow vehicle. That is if you still have the same trailer.

Actually I only did this once so far.

You got to try it to know for sure.

My advice - your Pathfinder can tow 3,500 comfortably. Now, if you can not find a 3,500lb trailer you like there lies the conundrum. If you can, then you are set.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

My advice - your Pathfinder can tow 3,500 comfortably. Now, if you can not find a 3,500lb trailer you like there lies the conundrum. If you can, then you are set.
Are we talking 3500 UVW or 3500 GVWR of the TT?
Beach324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow