Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club

I wasn't the first to say there was anything wrong with your TPMS system- you were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My TST TPMS did not alert me. One of them still read 76 lbs when there was a gaping hole in the side of it and 3/4ths of the tread was flopping around in the wheel well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #16

Just got off the phone with Dan at http://www.tsttruck.com/ (770) 889-9102, email dcovington@tsttruck.com. Without even asking, to insure the signals from my sensors get to my display monitor, he is going to comp me a repeater.

It's a stand alone device that needs no programming. I have AUX 12 volt power for lights in my trailer, on my 7-pin connector, so I can just tap off that feed to power the repeater when plugged in.

We agreed that installing all new batteries at the start of ones season is a good idea. This is a low cost, reliable source for the CR1632 sensor batteries.

5 CR1632 BR1632 LITH34 DL1632 KCR1632 Lithium Cell 3 Volt Battery USA US SHIP | eBay

Again, great TST customer service.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Commercial Member

So to be sure I understand.
The TPMS sensors initially may have needed new batteries. During the re-install they were probably not installed properly so the readings are suspect.
The tire pressure after the failure on both tires was definitely 0 because of "slit" and the 2nd failure had a "gaping" hole

Having two "defective" tires fail at the same time is highly improbable while having two tires with overtight and possibly broken TPM sensors leak down and run flat is quite possible.

Do you have any pictures of the failed tires? Their condition may provide some information to confirm or refute suspect reason for the failures was due to country of origin and not cuts or punctures due to road trash.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #18

What are the chances of all 4 batteries going bad at the same time, reporting temp/pres changes after I got 4 new tires, and all the way home?

2 tires may have gone low on pressure, but when I re-seated the sensors and they all started working again, they were showing the expected road pressure and temperature. For all I know, only 2 sensors may have been over-tightened.

The sensors were/are not "broken". They reported what they saw when they were re-seated. My MH and trailer are ~50' from my computer desk and I'm watching all 10 tire change temperature and pressure as I type.

I was first alerted to a left rear trailer flat when someone honked and pointed to the trailer. When I was able to pull over safely, I discovered the right rear was also flat and had a ~10"(zipper)slit on the back side. When I removed the sensors, each one caused my monitor to beep, so the batteries were still good and reported a sudden pressure loss.

No pictures. I was more concerned about getting to my destination before dark.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hmmmm...

I wonder if you're barkin' up the wrong tree, here...that business about the TPMS false read on the blown tire sure makes me suspicion a "maybe" problem with the product. I think you know that TST is a sponsor here and that there's a re-e-e-e-ally long thread discussion about- and with- them.

Here's one post about sensor trouble:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Had my TST system for less than one year. First monitor failed and was replaced along with two failed sensors. Recently traded Ford Exp. with rubber valve stems for Honda CRV with steel valve stems. No problems with toad sensors on Explorer. On CRV, only one of the three toad sensors would transmit. Removed all of the sensors and reinstalled and now three of the four transmit intermittently. I noticed the little rubber gaskets/o-rings in the sensors seem to easily get deformed in spite of my carefully trying to seat them.

Other than asking for a replacement for the one sensor that never transmits, any other ideas?
Don't know what his outcome was, but from the little of the thread that I read it looks like the company's responsive to complaints. You might run something up the flagpole over in that thread and see who salutes.

Nuttin' to lose, and maybe somethin' to gain, knowwhatI'msayin'?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
What are the chances of all 4 batteries going bad at the same time, reporting temp/pres changes after I got 4 new tires, and all the way home?

2 tires may have gone low on pressure, but when I re-seated the sensors and they all started working again, they were showing the expected road pressure and temperature. For all I know, only 2 sensors may have been over-tightened.

The sensors were/are not "broken". They reported what they saw when they were re-seated. My MH and trailer are ~50' from my computer desk and I'm watching all 10 tire change temperature and pressure as I type.

I was first alerted to a left rear trailer flat when someone honked and pointed to the trailer. When I was able to pull over safely, I discovered the right rear was also flat and had a ~10"(zipper)slit on the back side. When I removed the sensors, each one caused my monitor to beep, so the batteries were still good and reported a sudden pressure loss.

No pictures. I was more concerned about getting to my destination before dark.
"Zipper slit" is kind of hard to ignore as physical evidence of being run flat.
Wonder if excess grease somehow caused incorrect pressure reading. Just a guess.
My TPM sensors have brass threads and since I am attaching to aluminum valve threads I give everything a quick shot of WD-40 to prevent corrosion of the aluminum as I'm not worried about corrosion of the brass. Rubber "snap-in" valves are usually have brass threads but unless your inflation is below 60 I would not use snap in passenger tire valves. Bolt in valves are many times nickel plated brass and are definitely prefered if you are running TPM sensors.

RE sensor batteries. Since my external TPM sensors have replaceable watch batteries I do them each year (cheap insurance). This helps avoid low signal strength and other possible problems.

I understand your low interest in taking pictures at the time of the failure. I ask simply because many times I can offer an expert opinion on the reason for the tire failure if I can see the details of the tires condition.

If readings on all 4 went bad at the same time I can only assume a problem with the receiver or that all 4 batteries were marginal for voltage but will leave analysis of the sensors and receiver to TPM people as I'm just a tire guy.

Am I correct to believe that you no longer feel the problems were caused by "defective" tires but were due to a loss of air?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #21

I was careful not to use excessive grease. Just enough to "wet" the sensor sealing surfaces of the stems. I would think that higher pressure would create a tighter seal for any valve stem. They were new <2000 miles ago and never lost air on previous trips.

What about centrifugal force from the sensors causing the stem to deflect enough to lose air? But why only the two rear tires?

Not word for word, but the TST manual states:

* Sensor life can be prolonged by removing the sensors from your valve stems during the off season.
* Sensor batteries will last up to two years.
* When the low battery icon and corresponding tire icon flash, please replace the tire sensor's battery.

My TST system is 14 months old and the sensors were removed for 6 months of that time. Speaking of batteries, I ordered some yesterday, from the link I posted, and they were in my mailbox today.

I don't know why the tires failed, but over the years, I have noticed that ~75% of the time, it will be a rear tire. The front tire will roll over a nail or whatever, kick it up and puncture the rear tire. I've known motorcyclists who put a flap right before the rear tire to knock any object down.

I said "zipper" flat, but didn't analyze if that was actually what it was. It looked just like a low tire. I tried to add air and when I heard it escaping, I reached behind it and felt the slit. I took it off and threw it in the back of my trailer.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #22

I really dislike ST tires of any ones manufacture. I have had plenty of bad experiences with them. I really like LT tires both Michelin and the BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires. I will never go back to ST tires. I'm sorry you now are going through it.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #23

Thx Paul, I'm a strong advocate of LT, instead of ST, tires as I said in post #1 and especially post #6. I've never had an enclosed car hauler before and my buddy has a couple. I should have gone by my own bad experiences with ST tires on my 5er.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club

In the whole entire history of The Internet Forum World, there has never been a single instance of an ST tire going flat by reason of the inattention of the owner!

Glad to see that this Grand Tradition continues....
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

In the whole entire history of The Internet Forum World, there has never been a single instance of an ST tire going flat by reason of the inattention of the owner!

Glad to see that this Grand Tradition continues....
Isn't it amazing! Yet the RMA- Rubber Manufacturers Association, state that over 90% of all tire failures are the result of under-inflation, and/or over-loading.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Dunner
What is the actual loaded weight on each of the 4 tires? It is normal for their to be an imbalance axle to axle and even side to side.
Many incorrectly assume that if you get a total loaded weight and divide by 4 you know the tire loads but there is data to suggest that 45/55 axle to axle and 45/55 side to side imbalance is not unheard of. The data of thousands of measurements confirms the majority of units have one or more components overloaded.

Inflation Tandem axle trailers significantly overload the tires is side shear whenever doing any cornering. Engineering analysis indicates as high as 124% of what a similar tire would see even if carrying the same vertical load but on something like a P/U or motorhome with the tires at the corners.

I believe your tire placard indicates an inflation that is the same as what is molded on the tire.

RE valve bending and leaking. Rubber snap in passenger type valves are cheaper than bolt-in type but the rubber are rated 65psi max cold inflation so any application higher than 60 cold should be running bolt in stems.

Pressure gauge. Do you use a digital gauge? Have you checked it against a calibrated gauge? When I check gauges a high % are off by more then 5%. TPM systems are not a substitute for checking tire inflation with an accurate gauge. Very few TPMS are accurate or even consistent one to the other.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #27

So very true Tireman9. Last fall I had two new load range G tires installed by Big "O" tires. The tire change guy tried to put rubber stems in my rims and I called him on it. Both he and the store manager tried to convince me they would be OK. I insisted they either install new high-pressure metal stems or use new rubber gaskets and a new valve core in my old metal stems. It made me wonder how many times they did that to others.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Prolly Chinese tire stems, too....it's a plot!