Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #1

Tow-Master ST Trailer Tire Rant

4 1/2 trips (1,907 mies) in two year to the dunes & home and two of the brand new Greenball Tow-Master ST 225/75-15 tires from Discount Tire separated at ~ the same time coming through Yuma. My TST TPMS did not alert me. One of them still read 76 lbs when there was a gaping hole in the side of it and 3/4ths of the tread was flopping around in the wheel well. The other one had a long slit on the sidewall and would not hold air. I've always made sure the were filled to 80 psi before each trip and monitored them all the way

Luckily, I never tow with less than two trailer spares and changed them out in an Arby' parking lot and went the 3 miles to Discount Tire in Yuma.

Dennis Anderson II told me that Carlisle tires were not made by Goodyear in China anymore. When I got to the dunes, all 6 new tires said "Made in China". Yes, I should have checked when they put them on, but it was getting dark and I wanted to get to my destination.

Dennis flat out lied to me saying they were much better than the previous Carliles as they were not made in China.

I tow at 62 miles per hour and don't remember hitting anything hazardous. The trailer is balanced and weighs 5,000 lbs. Well within the tire sidewall limit of 2830 lbs per tire. It would have to weigh over 11320 lbs to be over weigh. I hope he is right about these tires. Never did trust a Carlisle; they've had a bad reputation before, but I heard they are now better.

I am definitely going to make a call to their head quarters as I made it clear that I didn't want China Bombs on my trailer. They did not have any Maxxis trailer tires. He did give me full cost on all 4 of the original tires, but with the new warranties, taxes and all the other fees, these 6 new tires cost me almost as much as the 4 original Blow-Masters.

Don't buy Tow-Master tires. If it happens again, I'm going to try to go to 16" LT tires. Never had a problem after I switched to LT tires on my 5er.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #2

Sorry to hear of your problem, but it's good that you recognized the need for two spare tires. Slightly off-topic, but still related, is the performance of your TST system. Did it ever indicate low pressure for either tire?. I'm planning to purchase a TPMS for a cross-country trip next year; especially to monitor the car trailer tires, and your exerience with your system is troubling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
...... My TST TPMS did not alert me. One of them still read 76 lbs when there was a gaping hole in the side of it and 3/4ths of the tread was flopping around in the wheel well. The other one had a long slit on the sidewall and would not hold air....

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

Half way into the trip, the 4 trailer tires quit showing on the display. Just blank. I reset the unit and it didn't help. When I held it over my head, it did pick up a couple tires, indicating it now needed a repeater when it never has on the last 4 trips. I can even monitor all 10 tires my house. They acted like all four needed batteries.

I pulled into a rest stop and re-seated the sensors, thinking corrosion may be affecting the signal strength. I'm pretty sure I got them to the same snugness and they started working again. Maybe I over tightened them and they were trapping air in the sensor. Looking at the sensors, I can see where over tightening them could close off the gasket. I'll use a dab of silicone grease to get a better feel when enlightening them. I now have all new brass valve stems. It probably wouldn't hurt to install new batteries at the start of each season. They're cheap enough on ebay and I did have to install a couple new ones on the MH. What was strange is that all four trailer sensors quit at once. When I took each one off, the monitor started beeping immediately as it should with a sudden loss of air. It would also do it it their was air trapped in the sensor.

Anyway, I'm going to inspect the seals and only tighten them just past the hiss. When I put the spares on, they read the exact pressure I put in them. Will do more testing this weekend and post when I can. Dark and cold out there now. A good indication they are working is if the tires show an increase when the temperature increases.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #4

Never tow with only one spare. There is no sicker feeling than blowing a spare and still having to complete a trip with no spare.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Dunner, I switched to 15" load range E tires on my farm trailers and cargo trailer. They carry the weight much better than the old "D" range tires. Since my farm trailers are used for short trips I didn't change those rims to match the air pressure.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #6

I had a nice reply typed, but hit the wrong key combo and lost it all - new to FF.

Anyway, the Tow-Master's were 10 ply, LR "E" and were rated at 2830/tire. Same as the new Carlisle's. If I have any more early ST failures(ha, ha, like they're going to last), I'm going to LT tires like I did with my 5er. Myself and friends went with Yokohama 16" LT tires and never had another failure. If I put it in my tire data base right, the Yoko's were "E" and only rated at 2680/tire.

When I was at DT, I saw two Carlisle's that were separated and were 7 years old. They weren't worn out or checked, and don't know their history, but were made in China. Years ago, I heard the older Carlisle's were junk, like Marathon, but the new China made ones were better.

I had wanted LT tires, but my buddy said that with my light load(5K, for a 7K trailer) he wouldn't waste the money going to 16" rims and tires. I should have done it this time, but Dennis(DT) "gave" me credit for all 4 TM tires. I had originally paid for the free replacement warranty, so he didn't give me a stinking thing. He just made it sound like I was getting a great deal. It was getting dark and closing time, and I was in a hurry. I should have told him to just replace all the TMs with 4 Carlisle's and put my spares back on their racks.

Dennis took advantage of my situation(or I let him). I've spent a lot of money at DT over the past 30 or 40, or however many years they have been in business. This is far from done.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #7

Dunner that website also has 15" load range G and H tires.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #8

Thx, Ray. Will check it out. Wanna see what DT says about how I was lied to. Everyone here at the dunes say that Tow-Master's are junk and they got free Carlisle replacements and that the new Carlisle's are good, or better.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Half way into the trip, the 4 trailer tires quit showing on the display. Just blank. I reset the unit and it didn't help. When I held it over my head, it did pick up a couple tires, indicating it now needed a repeater when it never has on the last 4 trips. I can even monitor all 10 tires my house. They acted like all four needed batteries.

I pulled into a rest stop and re-seated the sensors, thinking corrosion may be affecting the signal strength. I'm pretty sure I got them to the same snugness and they started working again. Maybe I over tightened them and they were trapping air in the sensor. Looking at the sensors, I can see where over tightening them could close off the gasket. I'll use a dab of silicone grease to get a better feel when enlightening them. I now have all new brass valve stems. It probably wouldn't hurt to install new batteries at the start of each season. They're cheap enough on ebay and I did have to install a couple new ones on the MH. What was strange is that all four trailer sensors quit at once. When I took each one off, the monitor started beeping immediately as it should with a sudden loss of air. It would also do it it their was air trapped in the sensor.

Anyway, I'm going to inspect the seals and only tighten them just past the hiss. When I put the spares on, they read the exact pressure I put in them. Will do more testing this weekend and post when I can. Dark and cold out there now. A good indication they are working is if the tires show an increase when the temperature increases.
Hello Sir,

We are certainly sorry to hear of your misfortune. We have seen and heard many poor reviews of the Chinese RV tires and their respective issues.

Even more urgently, we are sorry to hear of the system issue.

It seems as though there is a reception issue with your system.

Please contact us at (770) 889-9102 or email me at dcovington@tsttruck.com so that we can get this rectified.

Thank you and travel in safety.

Dan Covington
President
Truck System Technologies, Inc.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
WOW !!!!

What a fiasco during your holiday week !!!!

Sorry to hear that Dunner !!!!

Remember "The greasy wheel gets the worm " (Sic)

good luck and keep us posted....
I too was told a story about the new marathons I put on - not happy about that, but mine was a local shop and not a chain, so I don't have much recourse....
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
4 1/2 trips (1,907 mies) in two year to the dunes & home and two of the brand new Greenball Tow-Master ST 225/75-15 tires from Discount Tire separated at ~ the same time coming through Yuma. My TST TPMS did not alert me. One of them still read 76 lbs when there was a gaping hole in the side of it and 3/4ths of the tread was flopping around in the wheel well. The other one had a long slit on the sidewall and would not hold air. I've always made sure the were filled to 80 psi before each trip and monitored them all the way
Since you go on to say that the tire monitoring system is kablooey, is it possible that like most tire "failures", these were caused by incorrect air pressure?

Your measurements were taken with what turned out to be a broken system, so this seems likely to be a factor...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #12

Apologies for previous spelling and grammar errors. My eyes were slamming shut from the meds for my sciatica and I was frustrated because of the early tire failure.

George, there is nothing wrong with my TST 507 - 10 tire TPMS. If anything, my system was "kablooey" because I over-tightened the sensors and "broke" my system when I reseated them. It worked fine after I got new tires and brass valve stems. As you can see, TST has great customer service.

PE sent, with apology for misleading post. That's Private Email. Follow up phone call tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Since you go on to say that the tire monitoring system is kablooey, is it possible that like most tire "failures", these were caused by incorrect air pressure?
Yes, the tire pressure was incorrect. It was ~0(zero) when the tires failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Your measurements were taken with what turned out to be a broken system, so this seems likely to be a factor...
If my "System" was "broken", see above reply to George Schweikle.

FYI: I use this device called a Tire Pressure Gauge to take my "measurements". They come in various sizes, types, Tire Pressure ranges and colors. You can get them at just about everywhere, WM(Walmart), Target, Sears, NAPA, discount auto parts stores, etc and even grocery stores. I use one to set my Tire Pressure before every trip as I stated several posts ago. My TST 507 TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitor System) reads 2 PSI(Pounds per Square Inch) from what my certified Tire Pressure Gauge reads.

JohnBoy, I'm still editing my Tele-prompter before calling DT.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
My TST 507 TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitor System) reads 2 PSI(Pounds per Square Inch) from what my certified Tire Pressure Gauge reads.
Well...but this time, your TPMS system was lyin' to you....

There is such a thing as putting too much faith in the technologies we love so much!

Puts me in mind of the time my husband was working at the pulp mill and suddenly the computer-controlled system started spewing pulp all over the floor. He went tearing up to the control room hollering at the guy there to shut the system down.

The guy in the chair thought hubby had lost his marbles- he pointed at the screen and said :"Everything's fine! See? The computer says so!"

I just wonder how long before the blowout you might have been running on low-air tires while your broken TPMS system was telling you that everything was A-O.K.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #14

I'm going to type this real slow.

If I air up my tires, setting the pressure with my certified tire air pressure gauge, immediately install my TST TPMS sensors and they read within 2 lbs of my set pressure, how is that lying to me? As I drove toward my destination, the tire temperature increased, and as expected, so did the pressure. How is that lying to me? It sounds like you are trying to make it look like my TPMS was defective, which it is not. TST makes very good systems and have great customer support.

The sensors reported the pressure they saw as I was installing them. Since the tires were already up to temperature and pressure, they looked normal. Little known to me, I compressed the gasket to a point where they couldn't report any changes. Sorry... I was busy driving and couldn't memorize each of the 10 tire's exact temp/press as the monitor displayed them.

ST(trailer) tires don't require low pressure to blow out, separate or self destruct. It's my belief that they were designed that way to increase profits for trailer/5th wheel manufacturers, trailer repair shops and tire retailers. I'm done.