Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

tow mode or not

I have a 2010 f250 6.4 and tow a 35 tt about 7000 lbs.
In tow mode the truck spends a lot more time in lower gears just reving.I was wondering if driving without tow mode, as long as I was not loading the motor down tring to acc quickly if there was any down side.
Without tow mode on the truck still pulls the TT with ease.

Thanks,
darcyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #2

If on the flat roads I take it out of tow. When on inclines or curves I put it back due to the frequency of changing gears. Sometimes I leave the tow on and really do not see that much difference in handling or fuel
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The Ford integrated brake controller should be switched on for climbing grades or descending grades. So in hill country with frequent ups and downs, or when climbing mountain passes or coming down the mountain, turn on the tow/haul mode. But in normal highway travel on relatively flat roads, it has no advantages over the stock Drive setting of your SelectShift tranny.

The answer may be different if you are towing overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #4

Don't know about Ford, but GM says to use the Tow/Haul mode when GCW reaches 75% of GCWR.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

Again, don't know about Ford, but with tow/haul mode on in a GM it locks up the torque converter in lower gears thus reducing slippage and heat. And it depends on the weight you're pulling. When we had the TT, only approx 4500#, didn't use tow/haul, but not with a 15K# 5er use it all the time to help keep tranny temps down.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The Ford integrated brake controller should be switched on for climbing grades or descending grades. So in hill country with frequent ups and downs, or when climbing mountain passes or coming down the mountain, turn on the tow/haul mode. But in normal highway travel on relatively flat roads, it has no advantages over the stock Drive setting of your SelectShift tranny.

The answer may be different if you are towing overloaded.
I think you meant the Tow Mode should be switched on for climbing grades or descending grades. The integrated brake controller should be switched on whenever you are towing.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I think you meant the Tow Mode should be switched on for climbing grades or descending grades. The integrated brake controller should be switched on whenever you are towing.

Joel

Yep, you're right, Joel.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
In the last 4 or 5 ford diesels I've had, I rarely used tow haul unless the tranny was doing a lot of up and down shifting in near mountainous terrain
(actually that's not true, I will save my brakes, by punching the button to slow down @ red lights using tranny and engine braking instead of wearing out my brake pads)

One of the contributing factors to tranny heat is the torque convertor locking and unlocking to shift...

the new 6.7 deezle's 6 speed tranny has a manual mode that I will get up to speed in 6th and put it in manual mode and let the turbo do the pulling up the grades instead of the tranny shifting up and down...
(newer vehicles on cruise control now DOWNSHIFT when going downhill to keep speed from increasing above your set speed... drives me (and my mpg) crazy )
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Smokey,
A SelectShift transmission in a 6.4? Maybe you also meant TorqueShift?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

darcyracing,
With a 7k trailer, you probably would never need the TowHaul mode if you don't like it. But, it will save a little on brakes when going downhill. I use mine with a 17k load a lot, and now have 116000 with original brakes.
Joe
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Smokey,
A SelectShift transmission in a 6.4? Maybe you also meant TorqueShift?
Joe
The description in the 2012 Order Guide calls it a "Transmission - TorqShift 6-speed SelectShift Automatic O/D." But the 6.4Ls had the older 5-speed that probably wasn't called a SelectShift. My bad.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #12

Smokey,
Just hassling you...have gotten lots of good data from you on the forums. Thanks.
Joe
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2006 with the 6.0 and haul boats and other equipment every week. On local roads, in traffic and on open roads when climbing hills I will switch on Tow Mode. On open roads at highways speeds it is not necessary.

The worst thing for you transmission is constantly on and off the accelerator with Tow Mode off. When you let off the torque converter free spools and then when you press the accelerator there is that moment of the torque converter spooling up to match engine rpm. With Tow Mode on the torque converter stays engaged.

It also helps with braking keeping Tow Mode on. Sorta like a Jake Brake but not really.
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #14

Anyone have a Gulf Stream class C endurs conquest
Navarrejane is offline   Reply With Quote