Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 05:12 AM   #1

Tow package & gas mileage

Hi.
I have a 22ft Prowler and my TV is a 2005 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 V8. My fully loaded GVW is 10440 lbs. My question is, when to use TOW. When on level road travelling at 50mph my tach reads 1800rpm . Using TOW it jumps to 2500rpm and you can almost see the fuel guage go down ! I understand that the truck has weight to pull along with wind resistance but which is harder on the truck- high rpm or cruising in [D] ? My experience as a tractor/trailer driver tells me that you pull to get up to speed then momentum alone takes pressure off the drive train.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
paz

We used to have a truck with a 5.3L gas engine towing a trailer with a 5,000 GVW. I never used the Tow/Haul button.

I imagine your 4.7L gas engine is working pretty hard with a 10,440 GVW trailer. Even if your trailer is not fully loaded, I would use Tow/Haul mode most of the time. What it does is change the shift points to a higher RPM and disengage the overdrive. That's the reason for lower gas mileage, but it will be easier on the drive train. Maybe you can turn off Tow/Haul when you get up to cruising speed on the interstate, but I would run with it on most of the rest of the time in your case.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to think about upgrading the TV. Pulling that much weight, the 4.7 really doesn't have enough power or torque to do it.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you look back at the OP's thread in September, the 10,440 pounds is the combined weight of truck and trailer. Probably well within the manufacturer's limits.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

I would use tow/haul feature only to prevent unnecessary shifting to overdrive and back while going through hilly terrain . Otherwise, let your truck do its job.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
4.7L gas engine is working pretty hard with a 10,440 GVW trailer. Even if your trailer is not fully loaded, I would use Tow/Haul mode most of the time. What it does is change the shift points to a higher RPM and disengage the overdrive. That's the reason for lower gas mileage, but it will be easier on the drive train. Maybe you can turn off Tow/Haul when you get up to cruising speed on the interstate, but I would run with it on most of the rest of the time in your case.
I echo this thought by paz.

Vallance,

At slowmachines post, I read your thread where the trailer is less than 5K lbs. Even with that weight, I would use the Tow/Haul mode on the majority of the time around town and hills; and, have Tow/Haul off only at highway speed.

Safer for, and better performance from, the transmission.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Use TOW until you replace the vehicle with one better suited for the job. I've heard it does more than change shift points, it changes the way the transmission works in little ways that are better for the transmission while under towing load. If your owners manual says to use it, use it.

When I use TOW, it won't shift into top gear until I'm over 60 and the strain on my engine is low enough, otherwise it stays in 5th, but it doesn't use more fuel compared to top gear at the same speed.

If you are greatly concerned about fuel mileage while towing, you are in the wrong hobby IMO.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallance View Post
I have a 22ft Prowler and my TV is a 2005 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 V8. My fully loaded GVW is 10440 lbs.
4.7L V-8 and five-speed automatic 3.55 axle ratio:
Payload 1,536 lbs.
Towing capacity 4,450 lbs.
GCWR 9,200 lbs.

Quote:
My question is, when to use TOW.
10,400 actual gross combined weight (GCW) compared to the 9,200 pounds GCWR of the truck means you're 1,200 pounds over the GCWR of your truck. Overloaded!

That means you probably struggle on steep grades (hills, mountain passes, even tall overpasses) and your drivetrain needs all the help it can get to tow that much overloaded. You're probably the slowpoke holding up traffic when climbing steep hills and passes. So use Tow/haul mode all the time when towing that heavy.

If your wet and loaded tow vehicle (TV) without the trailer weighs more than (9,200 minus 4,450 =) 4,750 pounds on a CAT scale, then you have even less than 4,450 pounds tow rating. So when towing that trailer, watch the coolant temp and tranny temp gauges like a hawk. Never allow more than 225 tranny temp, else your automagic tranny will have a short life.

Quote:
My experience as a tractor/trailer driver tells me that you pull to get up to speed then momentum alone takes pressure off the drive train.
But does your commercial trucker experience include hauling loads that were 11% or 12% more combined weight than your tractor was rated to tow? Maybe if you were driving the bosses' tractor, but I'll bet not not if you were a successful owner/operator.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #9

Heat is the transmission's nemesis, and each time a tranny shifts it generates heat. With the shift points changed while in TOW mode, the chances of shifting gears while going down the highway are reduced.
Even while on a seemingly flat stretch of highway, a good wind can cause your loaded vehicle to have to downshift to maintain momentum.
You can add another item to the watch list while driving and keep a diligent eye on the tranny temp and kick on the TOW mode when you see the temp increase because of excessive shifting, or just leave it in TOW mode and enjoy the ride.

Myself, I'm tugging a hefty load down the highway, so I just accept the fact my gas mileage is not going to compete with my wife's Hyundai.

Some people like to gamble. Some people are lucky. The way I see it, pay at the pump, or pay at the tranny shop.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #10

Thanks for advice. Slowmachine, you found my earlier post.Thanks for clarifying my total weight,truck & trailer, is 10440 lbs. I should be OK but I have yet to pull any significant hills....

Tags
gas, tow