Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #1

Tow Problem

Need advice. Down sizing from a Class A to a Travel Trailer. With the Class A I could tow almost anything. The new TT is to be towed with a full size pick up. How do I take the golf cart with me now? Not looking forward to trying to back an RV chain out of a tight spot. I have seen R/V,s on the road with pick up, T/T, small boat. I don't even think that is legal in some states. I will have to remeasure when it quits raining to see if it will fit in the bed of the truck with the tool box in there. How do others solve this?
pdqracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #2

Pick up, fifth wheel and boat/trailer is legal in Michigan if under a certain length.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

I don't think you can pull a trailer behind a trailer? Here in Mi, 5'ers aren't considered a "trailer", so you can get away with pulling something small behind them (though I've seen all sorts of craziness there).

My bet is that if you want to take your golf cart with you, you'll need to load it in the back of the PU.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #4

Michigan Recreational Double "R" Endorsement
SOS - Recreational Double "R" Endorsement

Above Just FYI - This is not legal in many states and I have no interest in driving this combination.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

What's wrong with putting it in the back of your truck?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #6

I don't see where PDQ is from but the laws vary state to state. In reading the above I see where Michigan not only has the special endorsement but also defines what the limitations to the combination of vehicles.

Here in Texas the limit is pretty simple tv+2units not to exceed 65' oal. People will try to tell you the front trailer has to be a fiver or gooseneck, but the law doesn't specify it. Weight limits of the tv would still apply.

Bottom line, you just need to check your state's laws and the laws of the states you are going to and see how they apply to your situation.

The problem with putting it in the back of the truck is: a) might not fit, b) the weight of the cart plus the tongue weight may put you over either the RAWR or the ratings of the tires.

I guess this is why they invented the toy hauler....
Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
I have seen a lot of rigs that have the long bed (8ft) pick up with the golf cart in the pick up bed and towing travel trailers. When you say "long bed" pickup you should be talking about an 8 ft bed not 6.5 or smaller. A lot of people call a 6.5 ft bed a long bed.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqracing View Post
Need advice. Down sizing from a Class A to a Travel Trailer. With the Class A I could tow almost anything. The new TT is to be towed with a full size pick up. How do I take the golf cart with me now? Not looking forward to trying to back an RV chain out of a tight spot. I have seen R/V,s on the road with pick up, T/T, small boat. I don't even think that is legal in some states. I will have to remeasure when it quits raining to see if it will fit in the bed of the truck with the tool box in there. How do others solve this?
Another option is to buy a tow hauler either in a TT or 5er. The golf cart can be carried in the cargo area of the tow hauler and once removed this can be used either for bedrooms or a rear porch. The bed of the truck remains free for other uses and you do not have to worry about double tows and states that allow and don't allow.

Jim W.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

In Texas, I towed a 25' 5er plus a 10' utility trailer for 10 years, going to the races 350 miles down the road at Texas Motor Speedway. In the utility trailer was a golf cart plus generator plus extra gasoline for the golf cart and generator, plus other camping stuff that would fit. The golf cart was for my handicapped wife to get around the huge campground and to our seats at the Speedway. For the first year or so we hauled a quad, but then TMS outlawed quads so then we had to haul the golf cart.

Texas law allows tripple-towing per the "Rules of the road and towing laws" summary in the Trailer Life Campground Directory. "Tripple" towing means tow vehicle plus two trailers with total combined length not to exceed 65 feet. My rig was less than 60 feet long. (22' pickup plus 25' 5er plus 14' (including tongue) tag trailer minus about 4' 5er overhang over the pickup bed = 57'. So with my CrewCab with 8' bed, the 5er could have been up to 33' long and I'd still be less than the 65' max with that utility trailer added.

The Trailer Life summary shows that most western states, even the Land of Fruits and Nuts, allow triple towing, and most eastern states do not.

Caveat: The frame on the rear end of the first trailer must be beefed up to support a Class III receiver hitch, then the receiver added on the back of the trailer. I had a local welding shop do the required fabrication, welding and beefing up. Also my rig required a sway bar on the hitch of the utility trailer to control sway. When the 5er did a wiggle, the second trailer would do a much bigger wiggle that could turn into sway if not controlled. I installed an EAZ-Lift swaybar and that did the job.
Friction Sway Control by EAZ-LIFT
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #10

I support the toy hauler idea. I have one myself. I carry my EZ Go 956 gas Shuttle cart in the garage area, unload it and have space for an air mattress on the floor if I need it for extra guests. I have a queen bed that drops down after unloading for guests, and a queen bed in the front for me. Sofa and dinette fold down for more sleep options if needed. All in a 27' toy hauler bumper pull.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #11

I agree with Jim. There are so many good toy haulers out there now. The only other option is in the bed of the truck, but then you'd need an 8' bed, some elaborate ramp system and probably a 2500HD at least... which I would prefer anyway.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

we went the other way, toy hauler to class A.. they toy hauler is a great option for you.. and it will tow better than a TT.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
and it will tow better than a TT.
I'm confused. A toy hauler can be a TT (not 5th wheel) too.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes there are TT toy haulers
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow