Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #15

My F250 has wimpy rear spring that are way of the capacity my previous 2500 GM had. They are sold as work truck with the posibility of 2200 lbs in the box. Who in its right mind only carry 2200 lbs in a 3/4 ton truck. I carried much more in the box of my 1/4 ton Ranger. My previous GM had a load capacity of 3200 Pounds. So from the get go the springs on the Ford are setup for the ride comfort and not for work.
My used truck, XL model was equiped with 2 additional plies on each spring pack, and the previous owner knew that the spring when worked will someday break. I broke one spring ply before I bought the heavy trailer so I know they are just junk.
I now have the same spring pack as the F350 have with the ride of a F250 and love the performance. When I had my broken ply replaced I was told that the Ford spring were comon problems in rough roads when not loaded they are to soft, thats why ford trucks are sold as smooth riding trucks, because most of the time they carry no load, but load them up you need something to help to bring them to the GM level. So with my spring pack I am very satisfied of the stability of the TV and feel I have plenty of truck to tow my RV. Much more then when I was towing the previous trailer for 9 years with a 5400Lbs GM.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #16

I installed Timbren bushings on my Ram. Loaded, my truck is at max weight. These made a world of difference when towing. I wont ever haul a trailer again without them.

Pick Up Truck Suspension Enhancement Kits from Timbren Industries
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
A 17000 lb trailer with a 3K pin weight does sound to heavy for an F-250. We towed an older 36 HRC Imperial with no slides and a GVWR of 12K and pin weight of 2500 lbs with our F-350 crewcab, dually, 4x4, powerstroke, with a six speed stick and a 4:10 gear. The rig handled great. It made two complete trips up the Blue Ridge Parkway and we had no problems. I moved a 45 foot 5th wheel with 4 slides for a friend that weighed 18K and has a 3800 lbs pin weight with my truck. The truck handled the trailer, however it felt like it was at its limit with it. There is a huge difference between an F-350 and an F-250. There is no substitute for having an adaquate tow vehicle.
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote