Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle - 2013 ford escape ecoboost

Hello,

This is my first post and joined as i can't find to seem many posts for this new vehicle. I purchased a 2013 ford escape SE and have some questoins about towing. I'm in the market to purchase a hybrid, i've been looking at light weight models and wondering if i can tow is safetly. I'm fine with getting a WDH or sway bar (don't know much about towing sorry if i got this wrong).

I was looking at this model :

Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite SLX Travel Trailer 16 XRB

Model Specifications 16 XRB
UVW 2575
Hitch Weight 315
GVWR 3500
Cargo Carrying Capacity 925
Exterior Height w/ AC 117"
Interior Height (Living Area) 78"
Fresh Water 20
Gray Water 15
Black Water 9
Exterior Length 18'4"

Another concern i have is the dry weight and tongue weight, does anyone own this model and have the wet weight? or will have i have to track one down and look at the sticket on the door.

My model of escape is the 2.0L ecoboost, 4WD, automatic. It states it can tow 3500LBS, with max 350 tongue weight. Also i opted not to get the tow package as all it includes is a Class 2 hitch receiver and Trailer Sway Control. Once i find more information and choose a trailer i will have this added after market.

With the smart people on these forums, i was hoping to get some input, will i be okay? i just can't figure this all out. This will be my first time ever having a camper, always tented.

Thanks for the help
rycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #2

I tow a 2 place jet ski trailer that is just under 2000LBS with a 2013 2.0L Escape with tow package. It handles this weight rather well. However, the trailer that you are looking at has a GVW of 3500LBS so it will be working hard if you are near that. If your just a weekend warrior I don't see to many issues with towing that much as long as the tongue weight and GCVW is within limits. There are a lot smarter guys about towing than me so hopefully they will chime in about checking proper weight and scales.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

thanks for the reply! Yes i would be a weekend warrior and we wouldn't pack much at all, only 2 of us. Used to camping in tent so very little cargo.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

When i seen 2.0 liter hauling 3500 lbs, i was sure it had to be a mistake. I looked it up, and sure enough. A small 4 able to tow that much is remarkable.
Unless you're filling your fresh tanks or loading it down, you should be great.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

Oh and if you're over 75% of tow capacity, i heard it is recommended to get a weight distribution hitch.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #6

Currently trying to figure it if it can safely be done with class 3, wdh, sway control, and trailer brakes.

posted on other forums and some concerns are going over tongue weight and overloading gcwr and trailer and car weights.

kinda overwhelmed!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Surely this is a joke.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #8

Got what Wdh stand for now. :-)

After looking at the Escape, i want one now. Designed to tow. Looked at them 6 years back and they weren't. With the ecoboost they'll tow like a large v6 with the mpg of a 4.

I think you're fine. Are you planning on carrying 1000lbs in the trailer? That's a lot of stuff. If you only put in 500 lbs then you have 300lb tongue? Dont fill the fresh tank or load up on wood and you should be good.

Your total gross vehicle weight is over 7500?
It looks like you can put store some stuff in the vehicle.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #9

If i had your car, i would only tow a scamp 16 or casita 16/17 or similar fiberglass trailer. Those things fully loaded are around 2500lbs, 1750-2000 UVW, and much more doable in an escape. In fact the scamp promo video uses an escape to tow a 16 foot. Also, fiberglass trailers last forever like an airstream.

Here's a good promo video of the scamp:

In comparison, many ultralite travel trailers are using a 3500lb axle because many suv's and minivans have a rating of 3500lbs. The problem is they cut alot of corners to make weight, even then they are dangerously close to the axle rating when loaded up with options, water, food, and cargo. When you are that close to a torsion axle rating, you begin to have alignment and tracking problems because the suspension is so compressed, people usually burn through tires fairly quickly.

Personally i'm not a fan of ultralights, except for airstreams and true fiberglass trailers. I would buy a 10 year old used fiberglass trailer over a current traditional stick built trailer. They will last much longer in the long run. A brand new scamp 16 costs about $15k, but a used unit is probably around $5k-10k depending on the age and condition. They deliver all of them including the 19 foot with a ford ranger to give you an idea of how easy they tow.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
CD

THe thing that botherd me is that most of the posts are all starry eyed about the power. IMHO power should be the last consideration when choosing a TV. Handling should be first. I think it is possible to put enough power in a Smart car to pull the TT but the TT will be in control. The other extreme is a Peter Built that wouldn't know the TT was there. I think you are too close to the Smart Car.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
THe thing that botherd me is that most of the posts are all starry eyed about the power. IMHO power should be the last consideration when choosing a TV. Handling should be first. I think it is possible to put enough power in a Smart car to pull the TT but the TT will be in control. The other extreme is a Peter Built that wouldn't know the TT was there. I think you are too close to the Smart Car.
Obviously these vehicles don't handle as well as an F150 or bigger truck but so far mine is doing pretty good. However I do have the tow package with trailer sway control. My trailer is also lighter by 1000 LBS. But this car does handle the weight very well. I used to have an Edge and pulled heavy loads. That SUV did a great job at towing and handling was great. Never a white knuckle moment and never was concerned about what was a head. However I would recommended towing first before a final purchase just to make sure it feels ok as every trailer is different and it may be more of an issue than others.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
My son has a '13 Escape Eco Boost with 2500# towing packaging. We tow a 2300# jet sled boat. I think it marginal for our rig. The boat trailer doesn't have brakes. And the engine never gets to overdrive.
Just saying!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
My son has a '13 Escape Eco Boost with 2500# towing packaging. We tow a 2300# jet sled boat. I think it marginal for our rig. The boat trailer doesn't have brakes. And the engine never gets to overdrive.
Just saying!

What engine does this one have? There is also no 2500LB towing package. The standard towing is up to 2000LBs with the 1.6L and 2.0L without tow package and 2.0L with tow package is 3500LBs. I use the transmission select shift to command 6th gear in mine.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
CD

What I was referring to was having to make a sudden lane change at highway speed or a hard gust of wind hits the side of TT. At almost 10' tall it is a big sail. Several years ago we were following a 1/2T PU with an 8' slidein. The wind was quite heavy hitting our right side. Several times we could see under the windward rear wheel. He didn't appear to know it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford