Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Tow Vehicle

i have a 2004 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 turbo diesel 3.73 rear end..this truck has a 6.5 ft bed...Any idea how much weight i can tow with this vehicle? Looking to buy a 5th wheeler....any input would be appreciated...thanks everyone...Don

tanker3373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Depending on configuration it could scale ready to travel up to about 7500 pounds. It has a GVWR of 9200 pounds. Meaning if your lucky you will have about 1700 pounds of available payload. Using the 20% standard for fifth wheel pin weight means you can safely tow a fiver that has a GVWR of no more than 9000 pounds. Stick with aTT or get more truck.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I can't find towing specs for your truck so I'll use the 2004 F-250 CrewCab diesel 4x4. Specs should be similar.:

GCWR = 20,000 pounds
GVWR = 8,800 pounds.

So that means the maximum combined weight of truck and trailer is 20,000 pounds and the maximum weight (including hitch weight) on the four truck tires is 8,800 pounds

My F-250 CrewCab diesel 4x2 exceeded the GVWR of the F-250 with my 5er that grossed 8,000 pounds. And that was just me and DW and puppydog in the cab. I hauled a coupla hundred pounds of toolbox, and had a Rhino spray-in bedliner that added some weight. Without the toolbox or bed liner, I probably wouldn't have been overloaded.

Your 4x4 adds about 400 pounds of weight to your tow vehicle, and your shorty bed subtracts about 200 pounds, or net of 200 pounds of weight from the max hitch weight you can tow without being overloaded. So with your truck I'd look for a 5er with GVWR not more than 6,000 pounds. Those are few and far between, so I'd probably opt for a TT instead of a 5er until I could afford more truck. With a TT you could consider one with GVWR around 7,000 pounds, then with careful loading you may not be overloaded over the GVWR of your truck.

To get a more exact answer, load your 2500 with all the people, pets, tools, hitch, camping stuff, etc. that will be in it when towing. Go to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with fuel. Then weigh the wet and loaded truck (including driver). Subtract the weight of the truck from the GVWR and the answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that available payload capacity for hitch weight by 17% and the answer is very close to the max weight of any 5er you can tow without being overloaded. Divide that available payload capacity for hitch weight by 13% and the answer is very close to the max weight of any TT you can tow without being overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote