Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
I towed an Alpine 3555RL, very similar to your Montana with an F250. You can do it but as with many things, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

You will be overloaded. Take the advice of your responders and go with a 1 ton dually. You will be glad you did.

I resisted a dually because I didn't want to drive it around when I wasn't towing. Turned out to be a non-issue. Just be careful, watch your mirrors and back into parking spots in the south 40. Like a friend of mine told me, "if the mirrors fit, the truck fits."

Happy trails,

'15 Lifestyle 39 FB '15 RAM 3500 Laramie Ltd MegaCab 4X4 6.7L Cummins, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate
NW Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #16
Jayco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
3/4 ton trucks are somewhat bastard machines. They will tow heavier loads very well, but the kingpin weight of larger fifth wheels is simply too much for a 3/4 ton diesel's rear axle, springs and tires.

I have a 3/4 ton crew cab diesel pickup with trailer towing package, tranny cooler and AirRide 5000 airbags on the rear. I limited myself to a medium size fifth wheel trailer--Grand Design Reflection 323BHS. With 2K lbs. tongue weight and 11K lbs. dry weight, I'm max'd out. I'm not suffering in any way.

The fifth wheel you're talking about is a full size trailer, and it's worthy of a 1 ton dually. One ton single rear wheel trucks are not much better as a 3/4 ton and should be avoided if towing bigger/heavier trailers.
GM 2500 and 3500, frames, axles, tranny, tires, brakes and engines are all identical. The only difference is OVERLOAD springs on the 3500 SRW. Get pin weight close or get the overloads, even truck weight is within 70lbs!
We ordered a 10000 lb 5er at 1900 pin, truck says 2400 on door sticker, should be close enough.

RVing since 1976...New 2017 Jayco Eagle 321 RSTS
fljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #17
As everyone has already said, get the dually. At over 16k loaded, you will have a pin weight in the 3k range. The new SRW 1 tons will handle that, but I can tell you from experience the dually is solid as a rock in the curves. My only complaint is that it won't fit in the drive though car wash.

2014 Ram 3500 - DRW - 4x4 - 6.7L - 68RFE - B&W Companion
2015 Montana High Country 340BH
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #18

not enough info.?

Originally Posted by 3thumbs View Post
Do I need a 3/4 ton or larger to pull a 13K trailer? We are looking at a Montana 3660RL. I know that an F250 would do the job but my thinking is about safety.

Thanks in advance
You'll probably hear everything from ham meal frying in a skillet to change rattling in a pocket on this topic.

Newer trucks are rated higher than the slightly older ones. Check the door jam sticker for capacities.

Is 13K the dry weight of the trailer? What is the pin weight?

Use a CAT scale for actual weights as the manufactures use cookie cutter general numbers that are usually lower than actual as built weights.

Happy trails.
J & J + Kickr's the Vonderhund
DRV, ES-38RSSA, 19.6K#
GMC, 3500HD-Max, CC, 8'-DRW, 9.1K#
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:25 AM   #19
our 5er is around 13k loaded (listed as 11,750 empty) and it sure pulls like a dream behind the Ram dually!

2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote