Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 03:42 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Alignment?

If you're using a pickup to tow your trailer often, does the front-end alignment need to be adjusted? It seems like the geometry would be different with the extra weight on the back. I've heard motor homes should be aligned when loaded for travel, ergo the same would apply to a towing vehicle?
Regnillub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 AM   #2

Short answer is no, you don't realign for towing, however your main concern would be weight distribution. Too light of a front end is easier to steer, but stability will suffer.

Too heavy on the front, steering will feel harder, and rear of tow vehicle will be unstable with a tendency to swerve out of control.

Change in alignment and geometry is factored in by the manufacturer and is in constant change during operation.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What DT said.

You must have good alignment of both front and rear ends, but the same whether towing or not.

It's easy to knock an axle out of alignment by running over curbs or chug holes. So you should have the alignment checked about every oil change interval or at least every year. But assuming you haven't changed the alignment specs by modifying the suspension, the alignment shop should go by the factory specs for your vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My axle weights while towing with the Equal-I-Zer WD hitch adjusted correctly are within less than one hundred pounds difference between the two, the headlights are aimed correctly, the ride feels firm but almost like not towing until the trailer tires hit a bump, and with about 70 pounds of pressure on the steering tires of my pickup the steering feel is firm but smooth.

You gotta figure out for your own combination of vehicles and equipment how to best achieve the least difficult driving experience you could get. This might include LT rated tires, adjusting your WD hitch, or even the alignment. It's hard for any of us to tell you what you might need because we're not there with you looking at what your using and experiencing it ourselves.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Proper weight distribution eliminates the issue you are asking about because the tow vehicle remains level. This is why a weight distributing hitch is recommended even if you think you don't need one.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

I took my truck for an alignment and was told by the Ford diesel tech that aligning trucks that the geometry does change. There is no way to perfectly align the truck for both solo travel and towing travel.

This was a dually truck that tows a 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #7

Interesting, so the answer is.. maybe? I'll tinker with the WDH setup and see if it helps with the front-end feel. Thanks!
Regnillub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also tinker with the front axle tire pressure. My rig feels better through the steering wheel with higher than the door jamb sticker tire pressure up front. 75 PSI or better for my steer tires feels much better than the recommended 65.

Tags
tow