Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #1

Vehicle: 2006, F250 XLT Super Duty, Crew, SB, 6.0 PSD, Auto, 3.73

Can someone explain my dual battery wiring? Presumably they're connected in parallel because it is a 12V system. The batteries are getting old and I'd like to replace them before any problems commence. But ...
1. Can I replace them one at a time without losing clock, radio, tranny shift module, etc settings?

2. Should I buy the biggest, baddest, highest CCA batteries I can find, or is it a non-issue in a dual battery system?

3. Are there any issues with replacing the batteries one at a time over a couple months?

4. How does one jump a dual battery system?

5. How do I use my dual battery system to jump a single or dual battery system?

I think that covers everything.

Thanks,
Ralph
RSmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #2

Vehicle: 2006, F250 XLT Super Duty, Crew, SB, 6.0 PSD, Auto, 3.73

Can someone explain my dual battery wiring? Presumably they're connected in parallel because it is a 12V system. The batteries are getting old and I'd like to replace them before any problems commence. But ...
1. Can I replace them one at a time without losing clock, radio, tranny shift module, etc settings?

2. Should I buy the biggest, baddest, highest CCA batteries I can find, or is it a non-issue in a dual battery system?

3. Are there any issues with replacing the batteries one at a time over a couple months?

4. How does one jump a dual battery system?

5. How do I use my dual battery system to jump a single or dual battery system?

I think that covers everything.

Thanks,
Ralph
Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The system is two 12v batteries connected in parallel, the two negatives are electrically connected together and the two positives are electrically connected together. When replacing them they should be replaced as a set because an older one that still may be good but is somewhat weaker than a brand new one will pull the voltage down on the new one. Also, they'll charge at different rates.

I'd suggest just replacing the two batteries with two of the same CCA that Ford put in initially unless you've done some extensive modifications and need more power.

As far a jump starting, if you'll observe the correct polarity with the cables and attach them properly to vehicle being jumped, it's not much different than jumping with one battery. Think of your two batteries as one since the positives are connected together and the negatives are both commonly grounded.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #4

In theory you I suppose could change battery one and once it was reconnected change battery two and not loose the information. However a wise person will disconnect both batteries and change both. You should not loose any of the ECM or BCM functions in the few minutes it takes to change batteries. Generally these require about a 1/2 hour or longer without power to reset to factory presets. So I guess you would be down to resetting the clock and radio presets.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
There are inexpensive devices marketed that plug into the cigarette lighter receptacle to maintain the 12 volts while a battery is being removed. I've never used one but I presume they'll keep you from having to reset the radio, clock, etc.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If you use the device Richard suggested, be sure your lighter socket isn't disabled when the ignition key is switched off. My truck has a lighter and a power socket - the lighter goes off with the ignition, but the power socket is hot all the time. The power socket would be the one to use in my case.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSmoak:
1. Can I replace them one at a time without losing clock, radio, tranny shift module, etc settings? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSmoak:2. Should I buy the biggest, baddest, highest CCA batteries I can find, or is it a non-issue in a dual battery system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would go for the biggest you can find. I went with new Motorcraft Gold's from O'Reilly's. 850 CCA's and they also have a 7 year warranty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSmoak:3. Are there any issues with replacing the batteries one at a time over a couple months? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is not recommended. Generally, by the time one of the batteries has gone weak/bad, it begins to take a serious toll on the other. Replacing one now and another later is likely to have you chasing bad batteries for a long time..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSmoak:4. How does one jump a dual battery system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I go off of the passenger side battery, simply because there is not nearly so much stuff attached to it but you can use either one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSmoak:5. How do I use my dual battery system to jump a single or dual battery system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never tried jumping another dual battery system but if you are referring to another truck with dual batteries, I think you'd just need to hook up to one.

teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #8

Thank you all.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you're going to change your batteries one at a time, You'd better be real, real, careful that the positive terminal doesn't ground out or you might be changing something more than just your batteries.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote