Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle CB

Does anyone use CB'S anymore? Getting ready for a trip up into Michigan and thinking it would be nice if I had a decent temporary setup that can be taken in and out when needed.

I was thinking of a somewhat small magnetic mount antenna. .. Anyone got any pics of their CB setups?

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We recently had a 3-vehicle caravan from west Texas to Oregon and return. Everyone now has a cell phone, so we used text messaging to communicate between vehicles. Worked great.

No, I didn't text while driving. Darling Wife's job was to do the texting while I drove.

My last CB was back in the days of the 55 MPH speed limit. Those worked fine too, if the vehicles were within a mile or so of each other. Back in those days my "handle" was "Colorado Pine Cone". "Smokey" would not have been a good handle for a non-LEO back then). Lots of fond memories. But with the ticket limit now being 79 MPH around here, and 84 MPH further west in Texas, I don't need a CB radio to keep up with Smokey reports. 79 MPH is fast enough when unloaded, and way too fast when towing. So I haven't used one for over 20 years.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

We use CBs for multi car caravans. We find they work better than cell phones or texts.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #4

I recently picked up a temp setup (uniden $40 ish radio and lil will magnetic mount antenna).

We got stuck in a series of long traffic situations where we had no clue how long we would be tied up. The cb lets you listen in on the chatter so u can make informed decisions.

Also I enjoy it for the entertainment value when driving solo.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My DW was in the shipping industry for over 30 years and she doesn't like the language used on the CB's by the truckers!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #6

For any good results, you need a real CB radio and a real antenna, not a handheld walkie-talkie type. A temp mount for the radio and a magnetic antenna on the roof will do fine. Most walkie-talkie handhelds are approx 0.5 watts, whereas a real mounted style CB radio should be near the 4 watt limit for CBs.

Trucker channel 19 is good for traffic updates, and some entertainment. A bit of colorful language if you are sensitive to that or small children in your vehicle.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Trucker channel 19 is good for traffic updates, and some entertainment. A bit of colorful language if you are sensitive to that or small children in your vehicle.
DW isn't at all sensitive to foul language, there's just no need to listen to it!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think CB's are still a must for formal caravans, but don't quote me. Used them for morning call outs and for assigning camp spots when arriving at the camp grounds. As said good to get an idea why there are traffic problems and such.

Don," Buck Fever"
Old 07-14-2015, 01:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
DW isn't at all sensitive to foul language, there's just no need to listen to it!
Agreed. My family and I dont care to listen to that either. We had one and sold it due to the language, and ignorance that spewed out of it. Sometimes there was entertainment value but it was few and far between. Now if we caravan we use VHF/UHF hand helds. Much better solution for us.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use my CB for the WX feature. Otherwise we use mobile radios to communicate between vehicle.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run a pair of CB's in my Motor home on on 19 (Trucker channel) one on13(Good sams dang near dead channel) I also have a hand held (W/o Batteries in it) somewhre. Since I am a solo I do not have a CB in the car but if I had a partner I'd put one in. Less said partner was a ham.. I do have Ham radio in the car (And motor home and motor home).
Old 07-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

Thanks Yall... I have an old 1970's Midland that was peaked out by a CB shop... Gonna pair it with a magnet mount Lil' Will antenna I picked up yesterday at the Loves... Should be fine for what little I plan to use it (just traffic / entertainment) on the road.

Eventually I think I will make a little plywood box to hold the radio that I can take in and out of the truck as needed....
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I'm definitely getting a cb setup for my 1st annual snowbird trip to cocoa beach florida this fall.

Now that I think about it, other than traffic issues, one of the most popular bits of info from truckers is whether the chicken coops (weigh stations) are open or not. Do MH's have to go through weigh stations or can they sail on by?

(I know I got yelled at when I ignored a weigh station when driving a small u-haul box truck one time).

Best CB converation I remember was between two truckers late at night...

"Hey cowpoke, do you know how to tell if a sweet young thang has pantyhose on?"

"No, howzat possum hunter?"

"Wal, when she f*rts, her knees swell up!"

woke the whole channel up. lol

Bud
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Way back when my extended family convoyed in three or four rigs to the mountain playgrounds where the guys road enduro dirt bikes or trail bikes, we used CB radios, but we didn't use channel 19. Instead we picked a quiet channel where we were the only ones on it. Twenty-something?

Tags
tow