Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #15

Well letís see.

I have owned or operated or maintained fleets of trucks with the following brand names.

Ford (fleet several hundred 1 ton)
GMC (fleet several hundred 1 ton)
Chevrolet (fleet several hundred 1ton)
Dodge (fleet sizes less than 10 but managed several fleets)
International (fleet sizes several 100)
Toyota (fleet several hundred comparable to the 1 ton)
Diamond T (fleet sizes less than 5)
Mac (fleet sizes several 100)
Freightliner (fleet sizes several 100)
Kenworth (fleet sizes several 100)
Volvo (fleet sizes less than 5)

I guess I donít know any thing about trucks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

The reality is that they all have their issues, and even the most tempermental builds can be made manageable with extra care taken; so you would be best getting the one that you enjoy driving the most after a few test-drives. Everyone (even the most experienced on here) will adamantly point to this flaw or that flaw of their less favorite makes and say that the flaws of their make are mostly attributed to poor maintenance - it is human nature.

Highlight the part below if you care for my personal opinion since this forum doesn't have a spoiler tag...
Personally, I am a Ford guy mostly because the Chevy and Dodge 1-ton trucks that I have been in always felt hodge-podged; and I have never known a Chevy to last more than 6 years without major electrical / interior fitment problems nor have I ever known a Dodge to have a transmission that could even laughably be called reliable. As stupid as it sounds, I also go for the anti-government-intervention factor that you can't avoid with Chevy or Dodge.

The caveat to my opinion is that while I have owned, known owners and driven dozens of 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, my personal favorite is my current '05 6.0 F350...

Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #17

Sooo....g'day,eh? I've just had a friend suggest that I strongly consider checking out a Ford V10. Anyone ever owned one or have any comments they'd mind sharing? Or is that a repetitively redundant question?
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ranger View Post
Sooo....g'day,eh? I've just had a friend suggest that I strongly consider checking out a Ford V10. Anyone ever owned one or have any comments they'd mind sharing? Or is that a repetitively redundant question?
Hi

Ford had their problems with that engine. They had a lot of cylinder head problems with the sparkplugs blowing out because the sparkplug hole was so thin there were only 4 threads holding the spark plug. That was with the first few years they produced the engine. Then they went to s three-piece spark plug that made things worse.

I talked to the manager of the truck tire store I do business with about his Ford V10 one ton duel rear wheel truck and he said he is pulling race car and motorcycle gooseneck trailer at about a 15,000 trailer weight and hasnít had any problems.

Uhaul had many problems with the engine in their fleet and I would guess that is the largest fleet of Ford VĖ10s in the US. But after the first few years seemed to get the same service out of the V-10 as they did out of the V-8. You have to take into consideration that the Uhaul truck probably gets a lot more abuse than a truck owned by an individual.

I would suggest you look around on the Ford forums and make your mind up by looking at the post there. You have to remember most posters on the maintenance-based forums are having problems or they wouldnít be posting in the first place. This doesnít result in a good cross section of owners because owners without problems seldom post on the forum.

Phil P
Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Well let’s see.

I have owned or operated or maintained fleets of trucks with the following brand names......

I guess I don’t know any thing about trucks.
I generally refrain from getting into battles of credentials, but since you want to challenge mine insofar as making equipment recommendations, I suppose I owe you a response.

Aside from my personal experience towing RVs for 20+ years, I have been employed for over 38 years by a manufacturer of large industrial engines (22 to 13,500 BHP, diesel, dual fuel and spark gas, 2 cycle and 4 cycle), gas turbines (4,000 to 60,000+ BHP), reciprocating and centrifugal compressors and associated control systems. These products are used primarily in the worldwide oil and gas industries but are also applied in power generation, cogeneration, marine propulsion, nuclear emergency standby diesel power generation and other industrial and military services.

I've worked in capacities ranging from field service to technical and engineering management. I've installed and commissioned this equipment, analyzed it using electronic engine/compressor analyzers (some of which I participated in the design and development efforts), lube oil and coolant analysis and other technologies, repaired it, performed engineering failure analyses, upgraded it for improved power, fuel consumption and emissions, developed the technologies for operating and maintaining it, etc. So, yes, I know something about engines and associated machinery and utilize that knowledge when selecting the equipment I use and recommend to others.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ranger
I had a 2010 SRW crew SB F350 with the V-10. I live in NE PA. I changed to the current vehicle, 6.7 diesel.
The issue I had with it and my trailer (14k Max, 13 common towing) is that it ran out of torque here in my area. The hill leaving Wilkes-Barre going south on I81 is 3.6% grade for 1.5 miles. After the first .5 miles the engine was at 4200 and 54 MPH in an area starting at 65 MPH. That truck was rated for 14k Max 5er. Being right at the weight limit did not sit well with me either. I know they can run at that but it does not sit right with me.
Had we had the truck in an area where is was flat I would have stayed with it. It was more of white knuckle driving with how we were using it. While not as experienced at towing 5ers as some of the folks here, having worked on a farm for years I have driven and towed a variety of items and weights, both on and off road.
Moving to the diesel 2011 DRW crew LB F350 even though it is bigger and heavier I actually get better MPG back and forth to work than I did with the gas (14-15 diesel, 11-12 gas) and towing (10-10.5 versus 7-8). It is more relaxed driving, the current setup. I also have more times of removing my foot from the fuel pedal versus pressing harder.
Note: MPG is hand calculated.
I liked the v-10, overall, I love the diesel. When I went looking for the current diesel I looked at all three manufacturers, I just liked the Ford best.
Note: before the V-10 all except one of my vehicles were GM and all of my trucks were GM. So the Ford truck is not a brand fanatic think for me, it just ended up being my choice.
In your case make sure of the tow rating of the truck if you are at 16k for the 5er.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #21

Like all the others have said, the US "Big Three" are all making pretty decent trucks these days. All three have had some issues in the past, they have learned from their bumps in the road and today the all manufacture a pretty good, reliable tow vehicle.

For us we bought recently a 2012 GMC 3500HD SLT, not that it is any better that a Ford or Dodge, it was like when we bought our 5th Wheel, the GMC fit our needs, will handle our 16k 5er with no problem, it was a color the DW was ok with and most of all it fit our budget.

Bottom line, get the vehicle that works for you and most of all enjoy RVing and DO NOT LOOK BACK !!!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #22

Thanks, guys. I do appreciate all this feedback from folks with both knowledge and/or experience. At the price these trucks go for, I'd sure like to make the best choice for me on the first try.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
What it all boils down to is that all 3 major maufacturers are building pretty decent towing machine. every man has his favorite, but Ford did a major stumble on the 6.0L engine...

Ken
...and the 6.4. Maybe they've finally found a winner with the 6.7, but the jury is still out.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320

...and the 6.4. Maybe they've finally found a winner with the 6.7, but the jury is still out.
The trans is still a little flakey at times. Mine just had to have the parameters reset as it was shifting (in auto) 1,2,N,1,3,4,5,6. Ist time I was like what the...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #25

Hi

If you donít look back you will keep making the same mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I generally refrain from getting into battles of credentials, but since you want to challenge mine insofar as making equipment recommendations, I suppose I owe you a response.

Rusty
Rusty

Sorry I wasnít challenging your credentials. Yours are as impressive a mine but in a different theater. My training and experience is in the other end from yours. I get to see the areas that the engineers didnít look at closely enough.

How interesting. I worked on a seagoing tugboat the summer between my junior and senior year in high school. I was very impressed with the Fairbanks Morse propulsion engines in that ship and spent a lot of time in the engine room. We were in the process of removing a Liberty from a reef in Florida and I was able spend time with the chief engineer on that ship as well. I learned a lot about both the large diesel engines and steam. The Liberty was scrapped 5 years latter but the tugboat wasnít scraped until the late 90ís. I will never forget those times.

I have maintained engines from the single cylinder Wisconsin to the FM OPís used on the large water pumps in Florida. This year I was able to get a SM Jones sucker rod engine running for the first time in many years. That was a project that took almost 2 years of part time work to get it running. It was stuck when I got to it.

http://youtu.be/ao8gbLaivmc

I have a personality that likes to keep moving. I could paper the walls of a very large office with my certifications in a number of fields I have worked in from engines to plastic explosives.

I am still working on engines under a consulting contract. They arenít any thing like the stuff we talk about here. GE, Lycoming and Garrett turbines with the latest fan and variable guide vane technology.

Things have changed tremendously since I got my first formal training from the Wisconsin Engine Company 55 years ago.

It is still a lot of fun.

3665RE
Old 07-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #26

As some others have posted I'm not gonna bash any off the trucks out there today they are all about what and what in the power range and all have decent trannys. I am a gm gas man but when it comes to diesel power. Well I figure less is more. Meaning cummins is doing the same as ford and duramax. But they are doing it with 6 not 8. In my eyes they all break eventually and it's cheaper to replace 6 parts than 8. O yeah and cummins is the only proven million mile motor you can get in a LDT. So good luck in your decision. P.S. the comment about finding a dodge with over 60 thousand without a tranny rebuild. I drive a 02 dodge 3500 DRW LB 4x4 with 142000 on the clock never had a problem. And pull at least 13000 ever time I have a trailer hooked to it. Have had 25000 on it and yes it was over loaded and you could tell it was back there. But she pulled it with no problems. Enjoy your choice.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #27

Did you happen to see the info on Cummins 5.7 v8?

Would be nice if they put it in a half ton.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #28

I own a Dodge Dually personally, but the best choie of a tow vehicle is the one that has the support of a caring dealer network to back you up! In my area I would not send my worst enemy to any of our GM dealers, and the Ford dealer is WORSE! All 3 makers have their quirks, but which one you can find an HONEST dealer to support and take care of your equipment is a true WINNER.