Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ray, yes the engine weighs more, but that is not even 1/2 of the issue. The diesel just has so much torque that just off idle it will walk away from a gassser. Like I said, look the difference in torque curves.

My 2002 truck weighs 8000# loaded and has a GVWR of 11500#, leaving me a real world 3500# for pin weight. If I go back to the curb weight on a base truck, the pin weight allowed is over 4000#.

A 3/4 ton, crew cab diesel (Ford of Chevy) will scale out close to 7300#. In order to have a pin weight capacity of 3000#, the truck will need to have a GVWR of 10,300#. Are they rating 3/4 ton Chevy and Fords that high now?

You can ot go by the brochure data except for very rough approximations and need to make allowances for added weights and equipment.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Great discussion. This is exactly the type of discussion which helped up make our decision in 2002. We ended up with the F250 diesel and have never has any towing problems mountains or flat terrain. I really love the way the engine holds the entire rig in check going down the mountains. Since we are flatlanders going down western mountains makes me wimper a lot.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #17

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your input. I'm sure glad I found this forum, because it seems you can ask a question here and get really good information without starting a war that usually leads everyone completely off the real subject. It's all about the FUN!

Thanks again.

Mike
MikeWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #18

Mike, I am also with you on this topic. I have an 02 Ram 1500 pulling a 33.5'Ultralite TT with 20" P-rated wheels. I decided to try the 20" E-rated wheels and what a mistake. Granted I got rid of the bouncing and swaying but lost my pulling power. Went from 8 mpg to 6.5 I now have 17" E-rated tires and will try them 2 weeks from now. The knowledge that is in this forum is spectacular. My next vehicle will be a diesel for sure.
Ray K is offline   Reply With Quote