Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Since the other driver was at fault. I would be sure OEM parts were used on their dime.

My wife was involved in a hit & run. My insurance "can" use after market parts over OEM Toyota parts. I said I'll pay the difference for the OEM trim pieces and headlight units. The aftermarket fender never fit anyways, so they had to use a OEM fender anyway. I think it cost me $75 more. But if the hit & run driver was found it would have been on them.

You shouldn't have to be out-of-pocket for anything except the deductable. The body shops work for you- not the insurance companies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
The aftermarket fender never fit anyways, so they had to use a OEM fender anyway. I think it cost me $75 more. But if the hit & run driver was found it would have been on them.

Super,you are correct in saying that many A/M parts do not fit very well. At my shop we check parts for fit before we paint them (generally). It they don't fit properly (usually around the headlamp area on fenders) we can usually get the insurance to pony up for the OEM parts.

slanted

Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
My main concern was the hitch. Picked it up this afternoon and everything looks correct. All bolt-on. No paint.
I would be worried that the weight rating of the new hitch meets or exceeds the weight ratings of the previous hitch.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I would be worried that the weight rating of the new hitch meets or exceeds the weight ratings of the previous hitch.
I am. But they should be too, it that hitch fails for any reason.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest you choose an ICar certified shop. I have a friend who owns an ICar certified shop and he works with most of the major insurers, does great work and uses the best parts and techniques. He does have to do battle with an insurance company on occasions but he always looks out for the customer. Never has to advertise, has plenty of business.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #20

Out of curiosity, what happened to the Prius?

You may have grounds for a diminished value claim. Might want to look into that.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
Out of curiosity, what happened to the Prius?

You may have grounds for a diminished value claim. Might want to look into that.
Prius was hard to assess in the dark, but it was impaled on the ball-mount. I did get the diminution claim from USAA.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Prius was hard to assess in the dark, but it was impaled on the ball-mount. I did get the diminution claim from USAA.
Hopefully it was enough to encourage the Prius owner to pay attention in the future.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #23

That isn't true!
Insurance companies shop just like you do.
They find the best product for the money for their client, you by using the power of their collective clients.

Its absurd for you, me, us the consumers, to go shopping for the cheapest Insurance provider then to carp when they do the same thing while representing us.

You get what you paid for.
The truth is that the Insurance companies are a constant target for getting bilked by their so call clients. The poor down trodden wailing consumers.

And the nonsense about OEM parts is another piece of work.

OEM parts are most often the same as after market. They are manufactured by the same companies that make the OEM, just sold more cheaply because they don't have the markups of OEM.

The O in OEM stands for OVER PRICED!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Accident

Just a thought about allowing your vehicle to be repaired with other than OEM parts, when you go to trade, Car Fax or other company's or even dealers check for prior accidents and surely will use this information to decrease your vehicle's value when you trade. Being able to show repairs with OEM parts will give you some defense against a lower trade in value. Don't let them low ball you for the repairs. Especially on a newer vehicle.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #25

Capt Nemo,

I would respectfully disagree with your statement on OE vs Non-OE parts. While you are correct that SOME parts are manufactured by the same folks (steel bumpers, glass, some lamps, and a lot of mechanical parts), others are not. Generally speaking aftermarket parts are less expensive, but also are lighter, don't fit as well, and are not of the same quality as the OE parts. Textured pieces (lower bumper valances, flares and the like) have a different look than the factory parts. Using your words, you get what you pay for.

Additionally, the aftermarket folks cannot use trademarks. A good example would be a tailgate on a Ford Superduty truck. The "Super duty" stamping cannot be reproduced on an aftermarket gate. Not a big deal to some, a huge issue for others.

This is not to say that all AM parts are bad. In fact some are quite good. However, in a shop atmosphere, I don't like having to pay my guys to prefit AM parts only to send them back when they don't fit well.

And it is not all about the money for me. Yes, my gross estimate is higher using OEM parts. However, I cannot mark them up nearly as much as I can AM parts. My margin is nearly double on the AM parts...

slanted
Old 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #26

OEM v. AM

Slanted,
Thanks for your thoughtful response.
I agree that some AM may not be to the fit level of OEM, or may even be of inferior quality.
That said however doesn't mean that AM are always inferior.
Often the original parts on the vehicle were inferior in quality or design.

Otherwise how do we explain Chevy's recall of Corvettes, their premier machine for defective ignition switches? Chrysler's Jeep for its turning into a firebomb when rear ended, or earlier Ford Broncos for the same sin, or the later Explorers for Good Year tire failures? Toyota's, and Honda's massive world wide recalls? These are all OEM failures.

A savvy buyer needs to get past the lazy mind set of demanding OEM, into intelligent shopping for the best part at the best price. This means taking an active interest in their own welfare and that of their vehicle in working with the Insurance Company and the repair facility to get the best repair possible.

It is incredibly dumb to just mouth statements like, Always demand OEM and Insurance Companies are villains.

I don't care on my vehicle if its OEM or AM. What I care about is will it give me good service during my use of it.

Let me underline this by saying that in my driveway there is only one machine which is less than ten years old. All of them run fine with OEM or AM parts. The only problem I have ever had is with a repair facility not doing a good job of installing all the pieces required to do a repair, then telling me that there were extra parts in the package which didn't need to be put on.

This kind of after market engineering by lazy or cost cutting mechanics is a real and serious problem for the repair business and the driving public. The only way it can be dealt with effectively is for the owner to step up and demand to inspect the work during and after its completed, and insisting on seeing all the replaced parts for themselves.

Last year I had a small shop owner squealing in angry pain as we walked around his shop looking in all his trash bins and cans for the parts he claimed to have replaced on my 2001 Miata. I had warned him up front I would want to see the old parts, but he was so used to lax and lazy owners who just choked down his bill without seeing the work that he became outraged that I would challenge his integrity.

(I have had that experience enough in my sixty years of driving where repairs failed leaving me in isolated communities, helpless and at the mercy of even worse shops who knew I wouldn't be able to get back when their repair failed farther down the road. But its not their fault, it is the Owner's for not confirming the work is done right. Demanding OEM isn't due owner diligence.)

As I calmly told him, I drive to California and sometimes Alaska or Mexico, and I didn't want to have to curse him for shoddy workmanship while sitting on an empty desert highway hoping and waiting for some kind soul to come to my rescue.

That is my bottom line.

Nemo
Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #27
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
and insisting on seeing all the replaced parts for themselves.
Nemo - BAM;

I have them place on the work order; "all replacement parts must be returned to the owner or the owner will not pay for the part."

If its a core item, I want to inspect it before its returned for core value, or I will not pay far it.

I've never had any problems.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #28

Capt Nemo,

I always welcome a friendly debate in this area.

Anytime you make blanket statements like "Always demand OEM and Insurance Companies are villains." things can get misunderstood. You are right, OE is not always better and not all insurance companies are bad!

There are somethings I will pay extra for if my truck gets damaged. Sheet metal and lamps will be OEM. I just want my parts to fit well. Bumpers, glass and mechanical parts are fine as AM to me.

Just a point of conversation: most of the recalls you mentioned were caused by outside vendors parts. Car makers do not manufacture things like ignition switches, air bags, tires. Is it fair to judge a car maker on failure of parts it does not make? It might not be fair, but it is the way of the world. It is the restaurant's fault that the steak they prepared for you is tough? Not really, but they will take the blame every time.

Tags
tow