Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #15

I have a 2013 RAM 3500 dually 8' bed, love it, my motto, go big or don't go. Better to have the room when u need it.
nclauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
And yes, it will be an absolute PITA to park.
I guess parking is subjective. I find no issues driving or parking my DRW with an 8ft bed. The extra length leads to an awesome towing experience. I tend to park all my vehicles away from the masses to avoid dings, so it works well for me.

If you like to cram your vehicles into tight parking spots, then a DRW is not ideal for you.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post

If you like to cram your vehicles into tight parking spots, then a DRW is not ideal for you.
yes I think it is quite subjective.

I'd like to see a DRW in downtown New York, Charleston, Savannah or even New Orleans...these "big parking lots" you all speak of simply don't exist....My SRW was a tight squeeze.

I'm sure its great out in the suburbs or out in the country, but we full time to see things...which all usually happen to be in major cities.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

I'd like to see a DRW in downtown New York, Charleston, Savannah or even New Orleans...these "big parking lots" you all speak of simply don't exist....My SRW was a tight squeeze.

I'm sure its great out in the suburbs or out in the country, but we full time to see things...which all usually happen to be in major cities.
Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Tetons, Mount Rushmore, Forest Service, National Parks, State Parks, Beaches, Canada, Alaska, Finger Lakes, all of Montana?….who goes to New York City?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #19

New York is fun...drag your trailer to a campground out of the city....then take a train/car service into the city...easy stuff. No need to drive your DRW around Manhattan. You wouldn't want any size car there anyway, just a headache.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #20

Quote:

Try any hi way in Baja California, still zero issues with a drw truck and a 108” wide trailer
Old 09-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #21

A longer wheelbase is always better for towing and controlling the trailer. Plus an 8' bed makes the truck look better. The shorter beds on a dually look funny to me.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #22

Quote:

Semi trucks make deliveries in the mentioned towns all the times.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #23

Never needed the 4wd on my long bed until this weekend. Parking in my side yard I sunk in quite a bit. Both the truck and 5er. 4wd pulled us out and let me park it without any additional issues.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #24

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
2017 srw long bed. Back into spots did not fit in the garage but pulling is great.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #25

No issues drw. I drive my topkick 4500 everyday. I park out as far as I can because I want to. Don't want some moron hitting my door or the hauler body. Could I park closer sure. But I like my truck enough not to. Nothing worse then walking to the to find someone threw open a car door and dinged it.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
Try any hi way in Baja California, still zero issues with a drw truck and a 108” wide trailer
Are you aware that 102" is the maximum width allowed by law for a non-permitted trailer or load?
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Tetons, Mount Rushmore, Forest Service, National Parks, State Parks, Beaches, Canada, Alaska, Finger Lakes, all of Montana?….who goes to New York City?
You must be from the East . I'm a Westerner so we headed East to see that side of the country. We then headed back west as fast as we could! lol. The big trucks do just fine out west, but they can be a pain to park, even out here.

Like I said, my SRW was pretty miserable back east - and yeah! We went to NYC!
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #28

The truck as a daily driver is one of the downsides of owning a 5th wheel. The length is indeed an issue in many situations where shorter is better. Width also often becomes an issue. We tour a lot, often to places other than big box store parking lots where the parking farther out is an option. There are many multistory car parks where you can’t fit either because of the truck height, or length. You’re often wider than the space, or just squeeze between the lines. All good until you come back to the vehicle to find cars so close on both sides that you can’t open your doors. Parallel parking with a longer truck also results in your just not being able to physically fit due to length. In my case though, the biggest issue is the garage. It’s about 8 inches too short to squeeze a long bed into.

As for turning, with a short bed ram and a bighorn fifth wheel I can do a you turn full steering lock without hitting. Backing up, close to, but not a full 90 degrees so you do have to watch, same as if you’re pulling a bumper pull.

Tags
tow