RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2018, 01:28 AM   #43

Towing with F-150

It will pull it just fine. In 2004 we bought a 29 ft Terry Quantum that grosses at right about 9000 lbs, with a 1000 on the tongue. Originally towed it with a 1986 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW 6.9 diesel that I had totally restored. Everything under the hood was new, engine,C6 trans rebuilt with MH planets clutches etc, new paint, interior, wheels and tires. Its a great truck if you don't mind going over the grape vine at 35 MPH. It also rides like a buckboard, my grandson calls it Bodacious because it bucks like a bull. I love that truck, it's me, and everyone knows it. My wife-------Not so much. Moan and groan at every bump. So in 2013 we bought a F-150, 4x4, 4 door, 5 1/2 foot bed. 5.0 litre 360 HP V/8 6 spd auto. Heavy tow package, rated at 8600 lbs tow capacity. It easily tows the trailer and is much smoother and more comfortable than my 1986. It will tow it over the grapevine 65 mph and gets 10/11 mpg. I have towed it from Central Oregon to So. Calif twice and over the Cascades many times never a hiccup or a scary moment. The built in braking system is smooth as glass and it has electronic sway control. The only thing I added was air bags to give it more stability. Don't think it really needed them and I only run 30 psi in the bag when towing. I was a mechanic for 50 years and and repair shop owner for 35. I knew what the truck could do. Check your trailer weight and the towing capacity of your 150 and if they are close, I'd go for it. I bought a 40 ft diesel pusher this year because I'm getting too old and crippled to mess with all that is involved in trailer hitching, leveling and the trailer is 14 years old. Will be selling my F-150. 2013, 34,000 miles, 2 yrs and 66,000 miles left on a factory bumper to bumper warranty if anybody is interested. Also has a Leer canopy and bedliner.

Good Luck, Lloyd Church

f

Dbl-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #44

We have a 30 foot Cougar and tow it with a Ford F250 super Duty 4X with the tow package. I don't believe in cutting it close. The Truck also has the 6.2 gas engine, so I have plenty of power when needed. Check all of your data before purchase.

ktuckyragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #45

Tow vehicle

I tried the same thing with an F-150. Terrible fuel mileage and smashed to the floor to go up hills. Now doing it right. Power stroke, super duty and almost 14 MPG! No stress towing.
R Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #46

Ginie and I chose our trailer then bought the tow rig to fit. My general rule of thumb for towing is I want a rig that the weight of the trailer at capacity is 55 to 65 percent of the capacity of the rig. That way there is plenty of headroom and you are not running the truck at full output most of the time. So if the max capacity of the trailer is 10K lbs 17K tow capacity would be just about right.
Slimbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #47

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Right size tow vehicle.

I'd get at least a diesel F250. The newer ones with the 6.7 are rated for lots more than you'll be towing with the trailer you've mentioned and they get very acceptable mpg's on the road. I tow a 14,500 lb fifth wheel with a 2014 F250 and it tows with no effort while I get 11 mpg all day long. Long mountain climbs are no issue and the engine brake works like a charm on the downside. 3500 drw trucks are hard to find these days unless you want to pay for a new one. Just my 2 cents worth.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
DarrelS,

You'll need to answer some questions to see if it's a yes or no answer. I'm assuming you already have the f150.
The 2015 f150's are able to tow anywhere from 5,000-9,200 lbs. It depends on which V8 as well as several other items including rear end. You will absolutely need it to have a towing package. That would include transmission cooler, larger radiator, etc. You'll need to look at your specific vehicle to know what the towing capacity is.

I glanced online at the Cougar 27' TT, but you didn't mention which model you have. But the one I saw, it looks like about 8500 lbs trailer, fully loaded.

You'll need to fine tune those numbers, but from first glance, you'll probably be exceeding the towing capacity of that vehicle.

You can listen to a salesman, but verify everything/anything they tell you. Just recently they told my son that he can increase his towing capacity by getting larger tires on his truck
Most RV dealers are about as vague as used car dealers. I trust what they tell me about the same.

Find a truckstop near that has scales. Drive your truck and camper across there scales for 8-10 bucks and get some piece of mind before you buy. Then you know how much stuff you can put in it. Weigh it after loading like you want to see what needs leaving behind.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #49

I have a long bed mega cab Silverado 3500 diesel dually. When I went to buy my 5th wheel the salesman said I could pull anything in the lot. It is rated to be able to pull 28,000 pounds. Why did I go with such a monster (cost) SAFETY! The extra engine/weight (muscle) and rubber on the road means more control. When my 5th wheel blew a tire, the only way I knew it was the smoke in my mirror. Safety not cost was my first and way most important factor in my towing vehicle purchase.
nnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysoup View Post
May be just an uneducated opinion but I wouldn’t buy a 150 or1500 from anybody for anything more strenuous than grocery shopping
That how I took the comment; as an uneducated opinion. When I was trying to determine which truck i needed to tow my 37 ft, 9,900 lbs TT, that type of sentiments were the ones that offered zero useful information.

Ford's specs were more useful. I got a F-150 HDPP, and couldn't be happier.
Maury82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #51

Tonysoup ...Tonysoup ... Toneysoup.... You know what! your exactly right. Grocery bags have & will never touch the inside of our HDPP F-150. It does it's best work towing our 5'er & impressing the RV community. Why should it be subjected to hauling groceries home. The DW's Fusion is the grocery getter in the family. With its measly 850 lb payload, that's bout all it can handle.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
Tonysoup ...Tonysoup ... Toneysoup.... You know what! your exactly right. Grocery bags have & will never touch the inside of our HDPP F-150. It does it's best work towing our 5'er & impressing the RV community. Why should it be subjected to hauling groceries home. The DW's Fusion is the grocery getter in the family. With its measly 850 lb payload, that's bout all it can handle.
I find that interesting. Around the parts of the area we live, it's not unusual to spot 10-20 dully trucks in the parking lot of Kroger or HEB. We only drive our 2000 Towncar when we know there will be a parking space issue (i.e downtown Houston for a concert, etc).
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Enough truck is the goal. If you can do it with a half ton, do it.

Parking/driving a 3/4 or 1 ton is a drag (without the tow)

I have a half ton ,9400 tow rated, with a hensley hitch, pulling a 6k dry 26' Cougar.

My truck is crew/short box....it fits what we do, had to get rid of my short box reg cab, it just did not feel safe.

We regularly go on 3k+ miles 3 week trips, and we are comfortable with the ride/drive rolling at 63 mph.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #54

I don't see parking a 3/4 ton as a drag. I drove a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 dodge on a daily basis for 15 years, and parking was fine. Now I have a 3500 LB CC 4x4 DRW to tow and, and, while in most places I can't parallel park it because of its size, I've been able to park it several times in a lot in the French Quarter of NOLA with ease and no extra cost.

It's what you get used to.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #55

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrelS View Post
Greetings! My wife and I are preparing to purchase a new Cougar 27 ft travel trailer. We are trading up in to a bigger rig. My question to travel trailer owners is about the tow rig we will be using:
2015 Ford 150 XLS gas V8

Looking for feedback on how well this rig will tow our new Cougar 27ft?
Always go big on the tow truck, you will never be sorry!! Also it will be big enough for the next camper 1
Stanley.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
I wish I lived where parking a full sized truck with towing mirrors was not a drag.

Parking spots in South Florida are all compact size, like in chevy malibu or Honda Accord

Tags
power, tow