Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #1

Tow vehicle question

Good morning!

I have a question about towing a TT as I am new to the RV world. I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ that has tow rating of 8200lbs. I have been looking at TT around 6500-6900lbs max. Majority of the ones I like are 32-35ft long. I'm concerned about that length behind my Tahoe even though once loaded I will be under the 8200lb tow rating. Do you all think a 32-35 ft TT behind my Tahoe is to long of a trailer?
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
Even assuming that you are not over vehicle carrying capacity I think you will be miserable by the time you reach your destination unless only camping locally. Towing at or near rating tends to be tense. Weight coupled with a unit +/-50% longer than tv is something I would definitely avoid
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

With 700-1000lbs on the tongue and 35' long, it will be really exhausting to control in a Tahoe over any distance or in wind or highway traffic. It'd be exhausting enough in a properly set up half ton. You get exhausted and bad things can happen.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #4

I would not want to tow that long a trailer with a Tahoe.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

For a trailer that size you really need a much larger tow vehicle. Trailers that large act as a sail and will wag that tiny tahoe like a tail on a dog.

Either look for a much smaller 3,500lb trailer or start looking 3/4 ton truck.

When a tow rating is 8,200lbs that means you can tow a hay wagon out of the field. It does not mean you can tow a 8,200 lb. trailer on the freeway at 70mph passing Semi trucks or visa versa.

The wheel base of a tahoe is really not long enough to tow a large trailer and still control the trailer. Plus I believe you only have a 6 cylinder engine.

Do not look at those large trailers, they are nice but the tahoe can not tow one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

Forgot to mention, look inside the door jam to get the GVWR. That will be your limiting factor. If you are serious about towing with the tahoe weigh the tahoe with full tank of gas, the dogs, cooler and other stuff.

Add 120 lbs. for a WD with sway control. Subtract the weight of the vehicle from the GVWR. That will be how much more weight you can carry. Typically the 3,500 trailer will have a hitch weight of 600 - 800lbs. Add that to the weight of the tahoe and see if it is still under the GVWR.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #7

What is the max length that will be sufficient enough for my Tahoe?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

My experience, depends on your camping plans. If you are going to camp in local state parks and RV parks you can tow more then if you plan to travel on the highway hundreds of miles.

I had a small 22' hard shell trailer that I towed with a little Honda Ridgeline. The Ridgeline was ok as long as I stayed on back roads at 45 - 55mph. Even on the highway for 10 - 15 miles at 60 65 mph was tolerable. But one 300 mile trip I realized I needed a larger truck.

So if you plan long trips I would stick with 18' to 20' trailers. If local maybe 24' max length.

Once you hook up a trailer to your tahoe you will see how difficult it is to tow. The engine will struggle, the vehicle will handle different.

Maybe the best way to describe towing is even a V8 powered F-150 will go from 21 mpg highway mpg to 11 mph highway when towing a 5,500lb trailer.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
Do you all think a 32-35 ft TT behind my Tahoe is to long of a trailer?
The length of the trailer is not your limiter, although the longer the trailer the more miserable will be your towing experience. Your limiter is probably the GVWR of the Tahoe.

A TT loaded to 6,900 pounds will have hitch weight of about 1,000 pounds, including the weight of a good weight-distributing (WD) hitch. As tuffr2 noted, you need to load the Tahoe with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing. Drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded Tahoe.

The GVWR of the Tahoe minus the wet and loaded weight of the Tahoe gives you the payload capacity available for hitch weight. If your payload capacity available for hitch weight is not at least 1,000 pounds, Then you need to look for lighter-weight trailer. Else you're probably going to be overloaded when on the road.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The length of the trailer is not your limiter, although the longer the trailer the more miserable will be your towing experience. Your limiter is probably the GVWR of the Tahoe.

A TT loaded to 6,900 pounds will have hitch weight of about 1,000 pounds, including the weight of a good weight-distributing (WD) hitch. As tuffr2 noted, you need to load the Tahoe with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing. Drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded Tahoe.

The GVWR of the Tahoe minus the wet and loaded weight of the Tahoe gives you the payload capacity available for hitch weight. If your payload capacity available for hitch weight is not at least 1,000 pounds, Then you need to look for lighter-weight trailer. Else you're probably going to be overloaded when on the road.
What do you mean by "wet"
Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Forgot to mention, look inside the door jam to get the GVWR. That will be your limiting factor. If you are serious about towing with the tahoe weigh the tahoe with full tank of gas, the dogs, cooler and other stuff.

Add 120 lbs. for a WD with sway control. Subtract the weight of the vehicle from the GVWR. That will be how much more weight you can carry. Typically the 3,500 trailer will have a hitch weight of 600 - 800lbs. Add that to the weight of the tahoe and see if it is still under the GVWR.
Is this the sticker you are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	180134  
Old 10-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #12

Yes, that is the door sticker. Each vehicle has one. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, the most weight that the vehicle can carry plus the weight of the vehicle.
I see it is 7,300lbs.

Say your vehicle loaded (wet) with people, full tank of gas, some tools, dogs, cooler etc. weighs 6,200lbs for example that means you still have 1,100 lbs. you can carry.

There are a few places to get your Tahoe weighed. Any truck stop will have CAT scales. Any place that sells coal, stone, gravel will have a scale.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #13

Towing a 32-35' TT with a Tahoe is called "The tail wagging the dog" Something you don't want to happen.
As others have said check the GVWR of you Tahoe. With the lighter TT that are around I think you should be able to find something about 26' that would work just fine.
Something like these new should work for you.

SC-225RBS | Cruiser RV
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2375/
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Everyone's jumping on the weight aspect of the OP's question, but the short wheelbase of the Tahoe is just as much an issue. Side pressure on whatever he decides to tow is going effect the steering more than it would on a longer wheelbase vehicle (i.e. pickup).
muleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow