Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle question

I'm looking at purchasing an Arctic Fox Travel Trailer (25Y) which weighs around 6100# dry. Is anyone pulling such a trailer with the new Ford Expedition V6 with EcoBoost and a GVWR of 9200#?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go check it all out here before you buy the trailer just to be certain.RV Tow Check 2.0 | Towing Guide Eliminator

Old 11-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG1950 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing an Arctic Fox Travel Trailer (25Y) which weighs around 6100# dry.

Dry weight is meaningless. Ignore it and use the GVWR of the TT, minus a few hundred pounds. Dry weight of that TT is 6,853, not the 6,100 you quoted. GVWR is 10,000 pounds, so assume your significant other is going to load it down to around 9,000 pounds. With the average of 12.5% tongue weight, your tongue weight is going to be around 1,125 pounds.
Northwood | Arctic Fox 25Y

Quote:
Is anyone pulling such a trailer with the new Ford Expedition V6 with EcoBoost and a GVWR of 9200#?
No, the GVWR is not 9200. The tow rating of the ones with the factory optional HEAVY DUTY TOWING PACKAGE is 9,200. But most Expeditions don't have the HD towing package so their tow rating is 6.600 pounds.
2016 Ford Expedition | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com

But the tow rating is misleading. In order to tow a TT that grosses 6,600 pounds without being overloaded there would have to be nobody and nothing in the SUV except a skinny driver and a full tank of gas. For most of us, the max trailer we can tow with our families and stuff in an Expedition without exceeding any of Ford's weight limits is about 5,000 pounds - maybe up to 5500.

Before you go shopping for a TT, you need to know how much payload capacity you have left over for tongue weight. So load the SUV with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing, drive to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck (CAT) scale, fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded SUV. Add 50# to that weight for the head of a common weight-distributing hitch. Then subtract that total weight of the wet and loaded SUV from the GVWR of the SUV. The answer is the max tongue weight your TT can have without exceeding the GVWR of the Expedition.

Divide that max tongue weight by 0.125 and the answer is the max GVWR of any tandem-axle travel trailer you want to consider buying.

My bet is the available unused payload capacity for tongue weight limits your wet and loaded SUV to a TT with GVWR less than 5,000 pounds. My F-150 is overloaded with my TT that grosses only 4,870 pounds when on the road.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Even equipped / ordered with the right options to tow 8000k the Eco-boost engine will be running at a high RPM's which will get you very poor gas mileage while towing.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Even equipped / ordered with the right options to tow 8000k the Eco-boost engine will be running at a high RPM's which will get you very poor gas mileage while towing.

Nope. The ecoboost doesn't tow at high RPM. The twin turbos give it diesel like low rpm performance.

Still will eat fuel like any other 365hp/420ftlb gas motor towing 8000. 8-9 most likely.

I'm glad they Ford finally retired the 5.4 in the expedition.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
My F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x2 with the 3.5L Ecoboost drivetrain and with the regular tow package and 3.15 axle tows my 5,000-pound TT with ProPride hitch like it's not even back there. No problem with power and torque for towing. But MPG going east across the plains is at best 10 MPG using premium gas and cruising at 62 MPH without a headwind. MPG falls to about 8 MPG average when towing against head winds in the Hill Country of central Texas.

Dragging a mid-profile 8,000-pound 5er from Austin to Midland also indicated no need for more power from the EcoBoost drivetrain, and averaged about 9 MPG on premium gas.. And dragging my 7,000 pound enclosed cargo trailer full of household goods from SoCal to Austin I got about 9 MPG when loaded, and 10 MPG when dragging the empty trailer from west Texas to SoCal and from Austin back home to Midland County.. Normal non-towing MPG using regular unleaded gas is about 17 MPG average with most miles cruising at 79 MPH. So the aerodynamic drag of an RV or cargo trailer is a big cause for the reduced MPG.

And on one trip when I was severely overloaded dragging a gooseneck trailer hauling a full-size backhoe through the Hill Country at 62 MPH, I got only 6 MPG for that one 36-gallon tankful of premium gas. Again, no problem with power and torque to drag that load, but when those twin turbos open up to produce that power and torque, the MPG falls into the gutter. We won't talk about how much overloaded I was when towing. Even with my 5,000-pound TT, I'm usually 100 pounds overloaded over the GVWR of my tow vehicle, and more than that with the 5er, gooseneck or cargo trailer.

Tags
tow