Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #15

Long time multiply Ford owner. my last Ford had the infamous 6.0 engine which for me was great. 180 K mile no problems. I just purchased the 2012 Longhorn 3500 dually with 373 gears. Beautiful Truck with very roomy cabin. For me the Dodge is a love hate realationship thus far. Fuel mpg is in the pits. Dodge does not put as much metal in the bodies as Ford. Dodge intergrated brake is not as good as the Ford. Dodge auto tansmission in my opinion will not come close to the Ford or Chevy. I do not trust the Transmission. The Tow haul just simply doesn't work as smooth as the Ford. The Dodge Automatic transmiison has to be manually shifted for best results.
Other than that I love the looks, I love the cabin. and I do love the Cummins engine. Hope that helps give you a honest comparison. No mater what you buy. They are all good trucks and THEY ALL HAVE Simular issues. EPA being one of them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
I just purchased the 2012 Longhorn 3500 dually with 373 gears. Beautiful Truck with very roomy cabin. For me the Dodge is a love hate realationship thus far. Fuel mpg is in the pits. Dodge does not put as much metal in the bodies as Ford. Dodge intergrated brake is not as good as the Ford. Dodge auto tansmission in my opinion will not come close to the Ford or Chevy. I do not trust the Transmission. The Tow haul just simply doesn't work as smooth as the Ford. The Dodge Automatic transmiison has to be manually shifted for best results.
Our mileage towing a 16,000 GVWR, 13'2" tall, 102" wide 5th wheel is 9.5 to 10 MPG at 62-65 MPH on the Interstate - with 4.10 gears. I don't know how many miles are on your truck, but the Cummins will improve on fuel mileage as the miles accumulate.

Have you set up your ITBC through the EVIC system setup screen for the appropriate selection regarding type of trailer brakes and trailer weight? The options are electric light, electric heavy, electric over hydraulic light and electric over hydraulic heavy. Once set up for your trailer, the ITBC in the 2012s seems to work OK from the reports on TurboDiesel Register and other Cummins/Dodge forums.

I've never heard anyone complain about the 68RFE. Ours works fine in tow/haul and integrates the exhaust brake with the transmission shift schedule to provide excellent results. Frankly, I just hitch up, turn on tow/haul, the exhaust brake and let the computers do all the work. The consensus on TDR among those of us who tow with the 68RFE is that it is working out fine. It's been in service since the first 6.7 Cummins engines came to market on January 1, 2007, so it has a good service history on which to base these observations.

Based on our experience, I'd highly recommend the Dodge/Cummins for consideration for anyone looking for a tow vehicle.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #17

I have heard Ford owners say they like the Dodge exhaust brake better.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #18

Dodge

Rusty,
Yessir, I have set the intergrated brake system up as per the owners manual which you have described. I stand by my statement. If I could trade the Ford intergrated brake system I would. I have owned both and pullled the same trailer.

As for the Transmission. Again, I have driven both. The Ford is smoother hands down. Mine simply scares me at this point. But 3 1/2 weeks in the shop with transmission problems within the first 7K miles will tend to do that to you. I do not like how it waits so long to down shift when pulling a hill. The engine rev's way to high for my comfort. It also shifts way to fast into 6th gear when moving starting off.

I do like the truck and I might as well. I have dug a deep ditch that I cannot get out of for a while. LOL!! it is growing on me as I get use to the differences from Dodge and Ford. If I had horrible memories of my Ford it would be much easier to over look some of these differences I understand.

Mark