Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
UGH! All this tow info and it seems so confusing. I wish you could enter your truck specs and then it would have a drop down list of TT's / 5th wheels your specific vehicle could tow. (obviously the amount of people and stuff you add are up to you to figure out.) It would be much easier than trying to find a weigh station and getting everyone loaded with a full tank of gas.

Sorry, I'm one of those people who bought the Tow Vehicle FIRST!!! Now after countless forum threads and a VERY conservative nature, my wife is NOT happy that we can not tow her 5 star Hotel on wheels with my 1/2 TON!

I'll keep reading...
It is so frustrating. It is unfortunate that RV sellers are not required to provide the information to you and help you select the right combination. There are some out there I believe who make the attempt but most are there to sell you the "dream". Can they enforce the rules? Should they?

Should a course be mandatory for all RV purchasers? Will that help? In browsing the forums there is a spirited discussion about length. Although most are aware of the requirements, many knowingly chose to ignore the requirements. Same with weight. Just sit by any highway to see trailers being pulled by trucks that obviously are overmatched. Most coaches are maxed out with a tow weight of 15,000 lb, but pull very large stacker trailers.

Should there be the requirement RV owners use the same insurance company for both the tow vehicle and trailer. That would/should place the onus on the insurance to make sure the match was proper. What about at the DMV. Another level of complexity with way too many "what if" scenarios.

I hope that everyone does the research before and buys the correct combination. I really hope that if they do not they take the proper course of action to correct the problem when they find out. It will likely be costly but what price is safety worth?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #30

Location: Returned to home in CA to become a grandparent for the first time.
First of all, we live in generation that sales people and dealers have lost the concept of integrity and self-worth. The almighty dollar and profit has become their god. Safety is a secondary (or maybe third) issue that has little value to them. (Now I say this in general. Obviously this isn't 100% true of all dealers.)

I have occasionally shown up at dealerships posing as a prospective buyer to test the sales person. Not one has ever passed the simple test.

I primarily fault RVIA for the problems that RVers occur during and after the purchase process. But too, not every dealer is associated with RVIA.

Sadly, the only thing that may change the sale and purchasing process is enacting new laws attached with hefty penalties. I really don't want to go there, but how else can safety be improved when the industry is no more than self-serving?

I've written one well known insurance company and never received a response.

Secondly, there is the question that apparently has no answer by NHTSA. That question is: "Is there really a notable safety issue for RVers on the road?" Based on the lack of data (actually no data) covering RV related road accidents, it appears that it's not an issue. RV rigs are not separated from general automobile usage.

I was a newbie once and not that long ago. In fact, compared to some on this forum, I'm still a newbie. I created a website out of my own experiences and frustrations. I've put in lots of time and effort to provide free information and don't get paid a dime in my pocket to make it available to everyone. (At least not yet.) I am challenged to create helpful information after hours of reading comments on RV forums. I consistently get emails stating they found my site too late.

So the the unanswered question that remains is: How do we best get the word out and educate the new RV buyer when the RV industry fails to take responsibility?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #31

What is the name of your website, so I may go there and learn something.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #32

Differences in towing capacity of F250

Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice and the really great web sites. It's obvious that I got the cart before the horse based on the data I looked at prior to buying the truck.
I still don't understand why Changing Gears and Trailer Life list towing capacity for my truck that is almost 3500# more then I calculate by using my actual truck wt and the maximum weights allowed for my axles, but I'm going to check with Changing Gears and see if they can explain. Unfortunately, I suspect the truck isn't going to have the capability of towing the size of 5th wheel I wanted to get.
Rod
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #33

Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice and the really great web sites. It's obvious that I got the cart before the horse based on the data I looked at prior to buying the truck.
I still don't understand why Changing Gears and Trailer Life list towing capacity for my truck that is almost 3500# more then I calculate by using my actual truck wt and the maximum weights allowed for my axles, but I'm going to check with Changing Gears and see if they can explain. Unfortunately, I suspect the truck isn't going to have the capability of towing the size of 5th wheel I wanted to get.
Rod
Old 06-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #34

I'm needing to upgrade so I can tow a bigger trailer, my question is 2wd or 4wd? I don't expect to need 4wd and hate to pay the extra $$$ for maintenance and initial cost? Any idea's on this subject please!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottular1249 View Post
Rod
Rod;
In one forum it was suggested that towing capacity refers to 4 wheel down with no weight on the tow vehicle. That probably includes an adequate braking system on the item being towed.

While it may be a larger number IMO you are best served if you stay within the limits of GCVW, GVW and GAWR.

While you may not be able to tow the size of 5er that you may like I believe there are still a number of acceptable RV you will be able to tow.

While a larger RV will be nice you should consider the amount of time you will be living outside of the RV. We spend most of our days outside and seldom entertain inside. The awning and patio provide additional living space we utlilize most of the time.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles77 View Post
I'm needing to upgrade so I can tow a bigger trailer, my question is 2wd or 4wd? I don't expect to need 4wd and hate to pay the extra $$$ for maintenance and initial cost? Any idea's on this subject please!

Thanks in advance!
If you cannot see a use for it you do not need it.

I bought 4wd because I wanted it. I have used it to go to ski areas and once when I got stuck pulling the 5er in about a foot of snow while returning home (pulled into a rest stop). I opted for rib tires instead of lug tires so tire performance is iffy in marginal conditions.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Some are perfectly happy with 4x2 and perform well with them...
And then there's the old adage:
"Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"

I use low range just about every time I back my rv into our storage area or a site... I just like the easier throttle response and control I get from that low gearing.
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #38

The low range is a major benefit of of 4 X 4. But most 4wd cannot be used that way on solid ground.
But on grass it's great.
I have manual hubs and low range us used often.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #39

Tow Vehicle Sizing & Weight Calculators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles77 View Post

Thanks in advance!

Well, if you want quick answers, go to my post on 7-21-14 addressing the same question. Whew.......I got schooled, scolded, etc. LOL. I had already ordered a 4x2 2500 HD DURAMAX, but I thought it through and reordered the same identical truck, but in 4x4. I drove by the dealer yesterday and my first order was on the lot, but I am glad I changed, even though it will be another four weeks or so for my truck.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #40

Tow Vehicle Sizing & Weight Calculators

2006 Toyota Tacoma with low 4 and high 4. A very tough truck.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #41

Can anyone tell me if a 2000 Acura TL is towable on all four
Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #42

RustyJC: I checked out Ken Lenger's site and that has lots of great information, written so that it is easy to understand. Thanks for the tip. There were a few other sites mentioned and I'll check them out too.