Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #57

I do see the 50 pound difference, in the sample on the sheet it's 40.

My belief was since it was on the front that it wasn't really part of the pin weight. Thinking about it though it does make sense that it should be the total weight placed onto the vehicle as a result of the tongue/pin weight. I'll change that calculation. I'll change it to total the GCVW automatically. It was a formula at one time. I must have removed them by accident.

I think you guys figured this out but I'll explain it:

GCWR is the maximum weight for your vehicle. When you pull onto the scale, whatever weight is shown can not exceed GCWR.

Gross COMBINED weight rating. It's a rating (maximum, limit, etc).

GVW is Gross vehicle weight is the actual gross vehicle weight. If you're towing a trailer, the GVW would be the weight of the truck PLUS the tongue/pin weight. If you aren't towing a trailer, it's just the total weight of the truck.

GCWV is truck, people, trailer and all. If the GCWV is GREATER than the GVWR then you are overweight. It's a fancy way of saying total weight. That's why in the sample data it's 15k GCVW (truck+trailer) and only 9k for GVW (truck + pin). On a CAT scale slip you'll see it as GROSS WEIGHT.

Thank you for the feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Dave View Post
FifthWheelSt.com
Fantastic work on the website. Lots of info there. I do like your calculators also.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
I do see the 50 pound difference, in the sample on the sheet it's 40.

My belief was since it was on the front that it wasn't really part of the pin weight. Thinking about it though it does make sense that it should be the total weight placed onto the vehicle as a result of the tongue/pin weight. I'll change that calculation. I'll change it to total the GCVW automatically. It was a formula at one time. I must have removed them by accident.

I think you guys figured this out but I'll explain it:

GCWR is the maximum weight for your vehicle. When you pull onto the scale, whatever weight is shown can not exceed GCWR.

Gross COMBINED weight rating. It's a rating (maximum, limit, etc).

GVW is Gross vehicle weight is the actual gross vehicle weight. If you're towing a trailer, the GVW would be the weight of the truck PLUS the tongue/pin weight. If you aren't towing a trailer, it's just the total weight of the truck.

GCWV is truck, people, trailer and all. If the GCWV is GREATER than the GVWR then you are overweight. It's a fancy way of saying total weight. That's why in the sample data it's 15k GCVW (truck+trailer) and only 9k for GVW (truck + pin). On a CAT scale slip you'll see it as GROSS WEIGHT.

Thank you for the feedback.
I am having some issues with your definition of GCWR which you refer to as GCWV. Here is a link to the GCWR definition that is commonly used. I have not been able to find any reference to GCWV.
How Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) Works | HowStuffWorks
Old 07-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I am having some issues with your definition of GCWR which you refer to as GCWV. Here is a link to the GCWR definition that is commonly used. I have not been able to find any reference to GCWV.
How Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) Works | HowStuffWorks
GCWR and GCVW (transposed VW) are two different numbers. GCWR is the max total weight your truck and trailer can be.

GCVW is the actual, scaled gross (total) weight of everything.
merc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #61

For simplicity and to conform more to common terms I changed GCVW to Gross Weight.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #62

Quote:
For simplicity and to conform more to common terms I changed GCVW to Gross Weight.
I'd suggest using Gross Weight for the TV vehicle only, and Gross Combined Weight for the TV and whatever is being towed, makes more sense to me.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #63

Looking to purchase a jay flight 212qbw

Hi everyone im looking to purchase a jayco 212qbw trailer. My main concern is can my truck handle it especially up hills. I own a f150 4.6 liter ford if its to much do you have suggestions on a similar floor plan .but
leohacker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #64

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leohacker76 View Post
Hi everyone im looking to purchase a jayco 212qbw trailer. My main concern is can my truck handle it especially up hills. I own a f150 4.6 liter ford if its to much do you have suggestions on a similar floor plan .but
The very best thing to do is answer your own question by using the app at RVtowCheck.com.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leohacker76 View Post
I would be more concerned down hills. Up hill you will have sufficient power to get to the top. Coming down will you have enough brakes to slow down?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
RATINGS are LIMITS established by the manufacturer, which are not to be exceeded. Ratings are based on structural strength, drive train strength, braking power, stability, controllability, and performance. Exceeding a rating invites unsafe conditions, potential damage, may void a warranty, may complicate an insurance claim, and in some cases, may violate a law.

GVWR:
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

The MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT of the fully loaded vehicle, including liquids, passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight of any towed vehicle.

GAWR:
Gross Axle Weight Rating

The MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT each axle assembly is designed to carry, as measured at the tires, therefore including the weight of the axle assembly itself. GAWR is established by considering the rating of each of its components (tires, wheels, springs, axle), and rating the axle on its weakest link. The GAWR assumes that the LOAD IS EQUAL ON EACH SIDE.

GCWR;
Gross Combined Weight Rating

The MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE COMBINED WEIGHT of the tow vehicle and the attached towed vehicle. GCWR assumes that both vehicles have functioning brakes, with exceptions in some cases for very light towed vehicles, normally less than 1,500 pounds. (Check your chassis manual or towing guide.)

HITCH RATINGS

GTWR:
Gross Trailer Weight Rating
The MAXIMUM TOWED VEHICLE WEIGHT. Each component (receiver, drawbar, ball) of a ball-type hitch has its own rating. Some ball-type hitches have separate ratings when used with a weight distributing system.

TWR/TLR/VLR:
Tongue Weight, Tongue Load, Vertical Load Rating Different terms for the MAXIMUM VERTICAL LOAD that can be carried by the hitch.

TIRE RATINGS
The MAXIMUM LOAD that a tire may carry is engraved on the sidewall, along with a corresponding COLD inflation pressure. A reduction in inflation pressure requires a reduction in load rating. Tire manufacturers publish charts that establish the load capacity at various inflation pressures

WEIGHT and LOAD.
These terms are generally used interchangeably. For the purposes of understanding RV applications, vehicles have WEIGHT, which impart LOADS to tires, axles, and hitches. Scale measurements taken when weighing are LOADS carried by the tires. These measured loads are used to calculate Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Gross Axle Weight (GAW), Gross Combination Weight (GCW), and hitch loads.

UVW: Unloaded Vehicle Weight (1996 RVIA Definition)
The WEIGHT of a vehicle as built at the factory with full fuel, engine(generator) oil and coolants. It does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, occupants, or dealer installed accessories.

NCC: Net Carrying Capacity
(1996 RVIA Definition, but no longer used) The MAXIMUM WEIGHT of all personal belongings, food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, dealer installed accessories, etc., that can be carried by the RV.

SCWR:
Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating (2000 RVIA Definition)
The manufacturers designated number of sleeping positions multiplied by 154 pounds (70 kilograms)

CCC:
Cargo Carrying Capacity (2000 RVIA Definition)
Equal to GVWR minus each of the following: UVW. full fresh potable water weight (including water heater), full LP gas weight and SCWR.

LIQUID WEIGHTS (pounds per gallon)

* Water: 8.3
* Gasoline: 5.6
* Diesel Fuel: 6.8
* Propane: 4.2
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #67

Quote:
I would be more concerned down hills. Up hill you will have sufficient power to get to the top. Coming down will you have enough brakes to slow down?
Not sure I understand the comment about the brakes. The trailer will have brakes that should be capable of stopping itself. There would be no extra braking needed on the tow vehicle.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not sure I understand the comment about the brakes. The trailer will have brakes that should be capable of stopping itself. There would be no extra braking needed on the tow vehicle.
You are assuming the trailer brakes are working properly, have been maintained properly and have been set properly. Not always the case as electric trailer brakes can be problematic.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #69

Quote:
You are assuming the trailer brakes are working properly, have been maintained properly and have been set properly. Not always the case as electric trailer brakes can be problematic.
I agree, but thats the case with any large trailer ( think 5er ) on a smaller tow vehicle.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #70

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
True, the truck and trailer have brakes. However, if the truck's GVWR or GAWR are exceeded, then braking capacity may be overwhelmed. You need to weigh your tow ready truck even to begin to know what the realistic vehicle towing capacity is. After getting the scaled truck weight, the GCWR and the GVWR, you then can use RV Tow Check.

There are so many different configurations of the F150, there no one size fits all answer.