RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #85

What and where is this site with all the great info. Thanks

Fighton1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
Easy way to chose your TV is to ask your RV salesperson. Then use this easy guide:
1. If sales person says a 1/2 ton is adequate, get a 2500HD diesel
2. If they say a 3/4 ton is adequate, get a 3500HD diesel
3. If they say you need a 1 ton, its time to talk to your local Frieghtliner dealer
so true - I handed the salesman my owners manual showing the capacity of my 2500 HD and he still tried to sell me a unit well over my limits ( and it was over on the dry weight ) .

goingtoenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoenjoy View Post
so true - I handed the salesman my owners manual showing the capacity of my 2500 HD and he still tried to sell me a unit well over my limits ( and it was over on the dry weight ) .

Ha ha so true. Salesman will tell you anything to sell you an rv.
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #88

The replies about RV salemen are interesting.

The last two 5th wheels I've purchased came from dealers that had me sign a form listing the new RV specs and the truck I intended tow tow with. It included the VIN of the truck.

Maybe things are changing.
rampowerwago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #89

Hello Cyclone Dave. Really like your site - It's filled with great stuff. Can you tell me how to gather this type of information about older trucks (2011-2014)? I've looked for a while but can't find anything this inclusive. Thanks again and sorry about the formatting below. I just copied and pasted from your site.
//fifthwheelst.com/2015-three-quarter-ton-truck-towing.html

Three Quarter Ton Truck Tow Rating Reviews | 2015

Ford F250 SD
(Same in 2016)
Cab/Drive Super Cab 4X2 Crew Cab 4X2 Crew Cab 4X2
Box Length (feet) 8 6.8 8
Wheelbase (inches) 158 156.2 172.4
Engine 6.7L PS Diesel 6.7L PS Diesel 6.7L PS Diesel
Gear Ratio 3.55 3.55 3.55
Payload 3,600 3,490 3,380
GCWR 23,500 23,500 23,500
GVWR 10,000 10,000 10,000
GVW (Curb Wt.) 7,070 7,106 7,279
TWR 5th Wheel 16,300 16,100 16,100
TWR Conventional 14,000 14,000 14,000
Realistic towing capacities are provided by RV Tow Check

5th Wheel 10,975 10,795 9,930
Conventional 14,000 14,000 14,000
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #90

Location: Returned to home in CA to become a grandparent for the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello Cyclone Dave. Really like your site - It's filled with great stuff. Can you tell me how to gather this type of information about older trucks (2011-2014)? I've looked for a while but can't find anything this inclusive.
Thank you. I am glad you find that my site is useful. I wish I could provide more.

You have asked a good question. However, it is difficult to find all the info for previous years. I get most of the info from the manufacturer's websites for the current year or the new year, such as now for the 2018 models. After about a year or so, that very informative info is gone. Most of the RV manufacturers do the same thing, which is a real bummer.

There are some VIN look-up tools available online that may help, but I have found them to be a little less than accurate. Providing the VIN to a dealer is helpful too.

The three most important ratings you need to know is the GVWR, GCWR and the TWR. You also need to know the curb weight or preferably the actual scaled GVW. With these four items, the realistic vehicle towing capacity (RVTC) can be obtained. Most dealers should be able to provide that info, that is if you can find someone who knows how to research it in their company database. Once you have the four pieces of info, just use RV Tow Check to learn the RVTC.

The GVWR will always be on the vehicle certification label. I have some tow rating publications for years dating back to 2002 under the "Tow Ratings" menu tab. Most of the pubs have the GCWR. Model years before the implantation of the J2807 TWR (around 2013) may not have an accurate rating in this category.

Wish I had a better answer for you. I also wish I had connections with the manufactures. There are ways, but memberships cost more than I can currently afford.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #91

Quote:
Can you tell me how to gather this type of information about older trucks (2011-2014)? I've looked for a while but can't find anything this inclusive.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas.../techspec.html
This is the holy bible weight and mechanical specs from Ford back '00.

and weight specs from Dodge/Ram back to '04
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #92
RPr

Do not expect the dealer to have any idea of your needs. They read the same towing guide manuals you do.

For example, my F-150 is rated by Ford for 9500 lbs and 950 lbs on the tongue. They figure 10%. That is what the TT dealer knows or cares about.

None of the tow ratings list max cargo, because it is vehicle specific.

My TT has a dry weight of 5000 lbs and a dry tongue weight of 405 lbs. The dealer is thinking, according to the tow guide manual, I have still have 545 ibs of tongue weight left. They have sent dozens of these TTs down the road behind half tons.

The real numbers for my TT loaded for the road are 6400 lbs of which 750 lbs is on the tongue. The max cargo for my truck is 1411 lbs. My family and gear are 650 lbs which puts me at or near my max cargo capacity.

The TT dealers have no way of knowing the above. Nor do the starry eyed buyers looking for their first TT.

The plain truth is, it is something you learn from experience.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:35 AM   #93

It is the consumers responsibility to know the ratings of they’re own vehicle. If they took the time to educate themselves about the ratings and how it works then decision making becomes much easier. The vehicle manufactures seem to purposely make interpreting the tow ratings difficult in the name of marketing and sales. Many still wouldn’t understand it. If someone asks me about how much they can tow I’ll use a simple formula for conventional towing. TV wheelbase x TV weight/100 = maximum trailer weight, as long as the result is within all manufactures specs. There are of course other factors to consider but this takes into account the trailer to TV weight ratio as well as WB as a factor for conventional towing.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
At issue is the trailer sales are not required to inform you of the limitations. They should be.

If one dealer looks at your truck and says "Too Small" the buyer will likely move on where they will buy when the dealer says "No Problem".
Old 01-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #95

Agreed on the 'up the ante' posts regarding dealer suggestions. I had one telling me I could likely tow an 8k# TT (dry weight) with my '99 Ram 1500 5.9L V8. I'd towed a 6k# full cargo trailer a few thousand miles multiple times and through mountains, but it didn't like the hills and after one of them needed maintenance. But that discussion helped us decide our next vehicle.

We needed something with a crew cab for the family and enough towing to handle something on average around 10k# without much issue. But we don't tow a lot, or super heavy. So we settled on a 2017 Ram 2500HD with the 6.4L Hemi. Mileage will be lower, but overall purchase and other costs lower. It's rated at 12.5k# tow rating and around 3.3k# payload. Most have reported little issues on hills that I've read. That should handle most things up to a small 5th wheel.

Speaking to a local dealer this weekend he said my 2500 could tow anything on the lot. When I said I doubt it with a 12.5k rating he asked if it was gas, once I said yes he did correct himself. After that everything he said made sense so didn't blame him since he didn't have all the info. So considering buying there when we decide.

But it's also one reason we like the Half-Ton 'rating' on the one we like. It's a good-sized trailer but will easily fit in the weight range for what we need and can do. Should be a fairly easy tow considering.

Always know your own vehicle and find out all the details on the trailers. Getting all that simply from web pages or dealers can be a pain.
Aelwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPr View Post
Do not expect the dealer to have any idea of your needs. They read the same towing guide manuals you do.

For example, my F-150 is rated by Ford for 9500 lbs and 950 lbs on the tongue. They figure 10%. That is what the TT dealer knows or cares about.

None of the tow ratings list max cargo, because it is vehicle specific.

My TT has a dry weight of 5000 lbs and a dry tongue weight of 405 lbs. The dealer is thinking, according to the tow guide manual, I have still have 545 ibs of tongue weight left. They have sent dozens of these TTs down the road behind half tons.

The real numbers for my TT loaded for the road are 6400 lbs of which 750 lbs is on the tongue. The max cargo for my truck is 1411 lbs. My family and gear are 650 lbs which puts me at or near my max cargo capacity.

The TT dealers have no way of knowing the above. Nor do the starry eyed buyers looking for their first TT.

The plain truth is, it is something you learn from experience.
Definitely. I think my old truck's payload was around 12.k# or 1.4k#, the first ones I spoke to would have me near 2k# after family and gear, any tank water, etc. No thanks. I've overloaded the bed once with dirt, only time I plan to do that.
Aelwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #97

ford towing guides

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Direct from ford 2003-2018
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas.../techspec.html
This is the holy bible weight and mechanical specs from Ford back '00.

and weight specs from Dodge/Ram back to '04
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf
Most all of the manufacturers have very detailed specs online. I have met good sales people that were realistic and those that wanted to just get the trailer off the lot on the back of whatever I brought in to pull it with (with all of their new hitch equipment of course). In the spring when it gets nicer you will see all the rigs that are either towing too much or haven't bee set up right . . . trucks with the front end up in the air . . SUV's with their rears dragging . . ..