Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Value (age vs. miles)

I've spent the past several months developing a 'strategery' for an upcoming purchase of a 5er and truck to replace my weekender/summer trip rig. Thanks for tolerating my lurking, brain is hurting from the knowledge gained.

My latest research on tow vehicles has led me to wonder what all of your opinions are when pricing/looking at a used truck....how does age relate to miles, what concerns you more when shopping? I've heard different rules of thumb concerning what is a low-mileage truck, but I want to hear your success and failure stories.

I am in the market for a 350/3500 DRW that is maybe 3-5 years old. I guess my target purchase price is in the range of 30-36K. This would be a truck for at least one year of full timing with my family (kids included). Thanks.
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #2

For that price you should be able to get a low miles (less than 10,000 a year) truck about two years old. IMHO if I was shopping again, I would look at a pre 2007 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Mega cab, or a 2007 GM product crew cab Duramax/Allison. Had both and I actually like my Cummins better. The torque comes on sooner and holds flat all the way up the RPM range.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I would look at a pre 2007 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Mega cab
Just as a point of information, don't assume that all 2007 Dodges have the newer ULSD engines. We have a 2007 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9L Cummins engine...it was produced prior to 1/1/2007, the start date when the new ULSD engines had to be installed.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You did not mention what 5th wheel you are looking at towing. This will make a big difference as far as 1ton dually or SRW setup. You did mention kids, so I would say go Dually. This will give you the most Payload capabilty possible with a Quad Cab. Stay away from the Mega Cab. Yes it's great for the kids but limits your Payload and you will have to get a slider hitch which will add weight and further limit your hitch weight.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got a 10yo one ton Chevy, one owner, 53xxxmiles, all records, in real good overall condition... for under $10k

and it came with a bathroom and bedroom and kitchen and sitting room and ots of storage space too

(yeah, I needed to rebuild the bath and kitchen but I mosty wanted to do that anyway and then added some suspension items and tires after 10,000 miles)

food for thought

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #6

To ease any questions....I am expecting to pull a larger 5er, something in 12K-15k weight range, so a dually is where I am looking. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
To ease any questions....I am expecting to pull a larger 5er, something in 12K-15k weight range, so a dually is where I am looking. Thanks for your thoughts.
Any of the 3500 DRW trucks will fit in with only 12-15k trailer weight numbers.

If your needing lots of cab room the 3500 DRW Mega cab is tops. It has the same 9750 RAWR for carrying those big GN /5th wheel pin weights as the other Dodge trucks. The Megas are very popular with the hauling crowd of all types of trailers.

You might take a look at the F350 DRW V10 Fords. With 9000 RAWR and tow ratings up to 16-17k lbs their a stout hauler. The V10 is in lots of good size class C MH's.

Being a former commercial hauler with all F350/3500 DRW size trucks IMO miles on the odo is the biggest issue when looking at used trucks. With the newer gen diesels you also have to watch who and how the truck was operated. Some younger gen folks may buy a 3500 DRW and add the biggest refueling box on the market. Then drive the truck as they say "like you stole it". These trucks generally don't have lots of miles on the odo as someone thats working the truck or a RVer that travels a lot. good luck in your search
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #8

All, thanks for your input, here is some more info/questions that better detail my situation:

1. What would you consider low/average miles for a dually?
2. Would you recommend a purchase of a 3 yo dually that will get lightly used for the next 5-6 years (until I can retire from the Army), before my family of 5 heads out for a year of full timing?
3. Should I even consider a late model used truck with say 75k miles on it?

Thanks, again.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
All, thanks for your input, here is some more info/questions that better detail my situation:

1. What would you consider low/average miles for a dually?
2. Would you recommend a purchase of a 3 yo dually that will get lightly used for the next 5-6 years (until I can retire from the Army), before my family of 5 heads out for a year of full timing?
3. Should I even consider a late model used truck with say 75k miles on it?

Thanks, again.
If you are talking about diesel, 75K is just getting broke in. My Dodge is 9 yrs old with 80K and still runs like new. The worst problem I have had was at 4mos. a front wheel bearing went. They had ro replace spindle, bearings and hub. Covered with warranty.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
People who are contractors or have a large farm or a ranch etc... **something** where the other 340 days a year the truck isn't pulling a 5W the discussion of what to get/own has already been done... and using that need as the criteria.

These folks have the truck (or something real close) when they decide to get a RV of some sort but they also get to write off nearly all the expenses of owning it.

What I'm finding it real hard to understand is the desire to own a heavy duty truck (eg the 1 Ton Dually) as an everyday personal car for those who DON'T have that heavy haul usage.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote