Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Tow with a Grand Cherokee

Hi all,

Sold our motorhome and are looking to tow a trailer with a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited. It has the 5.7L V8 and the tow package. Rated to tow up to a max 7400 lbs.

We're currently looking to find a trailer around 4000-4500lbs dry to tow. I'm looking for recommendations for an equalizer set-up.

Thanks
BCIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Congrats on the "new" GC. You'll find it to be a nice TV. Your empty weight idea is right, as it will be at about 6000 once you load it up, nicely under your 7400 max. But be careful on 2 things. It is easy to load up an SUV with too many required toys. Also, with only a 115" wheelbase, you should keep your TT length under about 26' total. Too easy for a tail wags dog situation otherwise.

I put an Equal-I-Zer wdh with sway control on my new setup. I had one previously and went back to what I was comfortable with. There are several good wd hitches with sway controllers that are all about the same price. I had a "chain link" hitch at one point with a brake shoe based friction bar, and never liked the setup. Maybe that was the problem - I never had it set up right.

Enjoy
Old 09-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the thoughs and info. Picked up the GC today, lovely vehicle and feels good to drive. We planned on not going longer than you suggested. Is that including the 3 feet of tongue or just the coach length?

The GC has the tow package, but I assume you need to get a brake controller to complete the brake set-up.
BCIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I would stay under 26 total length, bumper to ball. Yes, for some reason Jeep does not include an integrated brake controller, even though RAM does. Go figure???

I bought a Tekonsa Prodigy RF, so that I didn't need to drill holes under the dash and bang knees on it. But the Prodigy P3 is about the best brake controller on the knee knocker type.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
CCH

Heartland RV Club
I'm pulling a 28' TT with the shortest WB 1/2 ton Ram and have found that getting the WDH (in our case a Reese Strait Line) completely dialed in - and tongue weight correct! - has been very beneficial to smooth towing.

We have the P3 controller and it's great. I adjust the boost to what's going on - none for stop-and-go, 1 on country roads and 2 or 3 on fast highways.

Tags
tow