Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

towing

I am a newbe to fifth wheel towing, Thinking about purchasing a 2005 River Canyon 36' fifth wheel. Dealer tells me that any "2500" diesel will be okay, but when I look up the TL trailer life towing guide it tells me that it would leave me with only 700# of cargo and fluid capacity. Please let me know your thoughts on what truck I should consider to tow this fifth.

Thanks

Bobl
mandolineblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolineblu View Post
Thinking about purchasing a 2005 River Canyon 36' fifth wheel. Dealer tells me that any "2500" diesel will be okay
Impossible to say without knowing the specific GVWR of the 5th wheel you're considering, but extremely doubtful. Take some time to read in the 5th Wheel Towing and Tow Vehicle and 5th Wheel Discussion forums how to work through the numbers for yourself and why you CANNOT go by the manufacturers' brochure payload and trailer tow ratings that are based on the weight of a base model truck with no options, accessories, cargo and only a 150 lb driver.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

Many RV salesmen are second only to used car sales men in that they will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sales. Buyer beware
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
You need at least 1,500# of cargo capacity. more is better.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your thread here where you'll get far more views.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

Read upi on this site to fully understand the terms and weights involved with RVs.

The short coming of a 3/4 ton truck is the limited GVWR and rear axle GAWR. A typical 5er will have somewhere between 18 and 22% of the trailers GVWR for a pin weight.

You truck has to be able to carry this as part of its payload.

basically ignore the typical truck or RV sales person or they have you towing a 40' Teton (heavy trailer) with a Ford Ranger. Educate yourself.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolineblu View Post
Thinking about purchasing a 2005 River Canyon 36' fifth wheel. .. Please let me know your thoughts on what truck I should consider to tow this fifth.
Travel Supreme River Canyon is a heavy, luxury RV. GVWR is 14,500, and wet and loaded hitch weight will be about 2,900 to 3,000 pounds.

2005-up F-250 CrewCab diesel 4x4 pickup has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds and a wet and loaded weight of about 8,000 pounds, so that beautiful luxurious RV will overload your three-quarter ton tow vehicle by at least several hundred pounds. And if your F-250 diesel pickup is earlier than a 2005, then it has only 8,800 GVWR, so it will be overloaded by a coupla thousand pounds.

2011-up F-350 SRW has a GVWR of 11,500 pounds. So if the truck weighs 8,500 pounds when wet and loaded for the road, you'd have 3,000 pounds available for hitch weight. GCWR is 23,000 so with 8,000 pound truck, that leaves a bit more than the 14,500 needed for the wet and loaded Travel Supreme.

So the answer is, as a minimum you need a newer F-350 SRW, and if you have to upgrade anyway, you should probably go for an F-350 DRW. Or the Government Motors (GM) or Italian Motors (Dodge) equivalent of the F-350 DRW.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Or the Government Motors (GM) or Italian Motors (Dodge) equivalent of the F-350 DRW.
Or the diesel engine experts at Furd.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing