Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #15

From what I see on the highway, it still amazes me that double trailers on 18 wheelers are allowed.

In many cases, the highway patrol is too busy generating revenue with speeding tickets to bother making sure safe towing is going on. So the "you may get away with it" crowd does have a valid point.

Is it legal is a different question from is it safe or is it wise. As convenient as it would be to have a boat, or an extra car or golf cart tag along behind my 5ver, I would never do it. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #16

Thanks for all the reply's I have a cdl class a and yes we want a toy hauler but can't afford one at this time. I have looked in to it and it seems its ok from wy to tx . Some states its not.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Some 5th wheel manufacturers will tell you not to tow anything behind the RV, frame can't handle it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #18

Towed a car behind the 5th for 3 years in all none allowed states. Now we would be to long. But gas mileage was affected and now DW drives the car. We take our time and she helps me when I need to change lanes. She is in my draft and MPG is fantastic. Plus we can park the truck and trailer at WMs. And go on small trips in town with car. Well worth it. Might cost $100 more but much safer for the car. And the car is used extensively in Florida for 6 months and mileage on the truck is expensive compared to compact car.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #19

I tow a 10 ft trailer behind my travel trailer all the time. My jayco tows really well and i carry a polaris ranger on a 10 ft trailer behind that. I use seay control friction bar on both trailers and have had no problems.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #20

SO, what will likely happen if you go into a state that does not allow 2 trailers behind a motor home?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #21

Hi

Buddy went into BC and got stopped, got fined and had to leave 1 trailer there and come back to get it later,

Dale M
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Depends on the laws of each and every state you go through. Might be legal where you live but laws like that are not universal like drivers licenses.
Ditto and one more thing.. First time I saw RV double towing it was a 5-er towing a boat. I questioned the driver and he informed me that under Michigan Law (This was in MI) it was legal, so long as the 2nd "Bottom" was a boat.. When I got back to work, I pulled the vehicle code and what do you know, he spoke the truth.

Not only do laws vary from state to state (Sometimes from county or even city to county or city) on matters like this (Example, double bottom towing laws in Detroit are different from say,,, Teknosha, both in Michigan). but.. They change from time to time.

As I said, when I first checked it out in Mi, it was only allowed if a 5er was pulling a boat.

The removed that boat restriction, (The first trailer still needs to be a 5er though).
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have towed a Jeep behind my 5th wheel through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado without problems. We are over length as well but never been stopped or even looked at, cops pass us all the time and not one has slowed down. It may not be legal but they don't seem to worry about it. If I were going to some states that disallow it I would plan on unhooking and driving it until I got out of that state. Besides, if we do get stopped we can unhook and drive the jeep. Price of doing business and this way we can go offroad whenever we want to. With proper braking unit it is a none issue as far as towing as long as you have a good hitch and rear view camera to keep an eye on things.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #24

only in some states

look on AAA site here

Compare States and Laws | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #25

look here
Compare States and Laws | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
I have towed a Jeep behind my 5th wheel through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado without problems. We are over length as well but never been stopped or even looked at, cops pass us all the time and not one has slowed down. It may not be legal but they don't seem to worry about it. If I were going to some states that disallow it I would plan on unhooking and driving it until I got out of that state. Besides, if we do get stopped we can unhook and drive the jeep. Price of doing business and this way we can go offroad whenever we want to. With proper braking unit it is a none issue as far as towing as long as you have a good hitch and rear view camera to keep an eye on things.
I think Tom has the right idea, the police have other things to be concerned with. We have towed with our motorhome, pulling our Honda and RZR behind it. We have towed in Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. I readjusted the camera so I can see both the car and trailer.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #27

In VA you must leave one trailer set. You can not continue on with both. I know people this has happened too.
I hate that I can't pull two in VA because I would love to have a FW and my boat along. As it is, I follow the laws even when I don't agree with them so I have a TC and boat.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by breed View Post
If I have a 31 foot 5th wheel and a 12 foot motorcycle trailer. Can I pull both at the same time legally?
max is 65 feet long in Alberta