Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Hey SmokeyWren;
You spent time and effort on an excellent response.
Thanx for the flowers, Gordon.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time trying to help newbees match RV trailer to tow vehicle - so they won't be overloaded when they're on the road with me. Even old heads that should know better insist on ignoring the GVWR of the tow vehicle, and the GVWR is almost always the limiter on pickups with single rear wheels (SRW). It has been a constant battle for the last 15 years because so many folks misinterpret the manufacturer's tow ratings, and they somehow think the dry weight and dry hitch weight of an RV trailer is useful for more than bragging rights around the bar on Saturday night.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Thanx for the flowers, Gordon.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time trying to help newbees match RV trailer to tow vehicle - so they won't be overloaded when they're on the road with me. Even old heads that should know better insist on ignoring the GVWR of the tow vehicle, and the GVWR is almost always the limiter on pickups with single rear wheels (SRW). It has been a constant battle for the last 15 years because so many folks misinterpret the manufacturer's tow ratings, and they somehow think the dry weight and dry hitch weight of an RV trailer is useful for more than bragging rights around the bar on Saturday night.
I have the same concerns myself. I see all too often (and smell) the brakes smoking on small tow units and large trailers.

Where I bought my trailer they are sending the same trailer out of the door loaded on 250. I mentioned it to the salesman I dealt with. His response - it was legal in our jurisdiction. Don't see how it can be but he is still out there selling - buyer beware.

I watch as I pull down the road a lot of units getting blown around with trailers wiggling. The scary part is they are passing me! I generally stay right around the speed limit so I know they are pushing the limit.

Life is a gamble and I prefer to make my bets where the odds are in my favor. Possibly auto manufacturers are shading the number in their favor but golly gee wizz. Think about it. You are playing with your life and everyone around you. Not a good bet.

Keep up the good work. If only one listens you have made an impact and that person should give you a big thank you.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #17

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Hey SmokeyWren;
You spent time and effort on an excellent response.
And a bit more on my +1...

When others so frequently reply to a query from a newbie, it most often gravitates to a " buy a one ton DRW Diesel truck" for whatever the OP is considering. Mr. Wren on the other hand, responds with a fact based message, that points out politely some of the flaws in folks assumptions, and gives relevant feedback to the original point.

In my case, originally reading specs on F-150's and various trailers, was educated enough by reading this forum to dig deeper and make better (ie, safer) decisions. So even though we only desire (and more importantly, can AFFORD!) a 24'-26' TT, it will be pulled hither and yon by an F-250. I was surprised to ultimately discover an XLT 250 was literally only a few hundred bucks more than a maxed out XLT 150, with much better tow ability on the 250.

For now, I'm a happy shopper...hoping to be a happy camper...soon!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I am sure you will enjoy whatever you purchase. No matter what combination you buy there is always the risk of problems. Drive smart, have patience and you will arrive at your destination relaxed and with extra fuel in the tank.

Wave as you go by. We will recognize you by the big grin.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #19

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
I am sure you will enjoy whatever you purchase. No matter what combination you buy there is always the risk of problems. Drive smart, have patience and you will arrive at your destination relaxed and with extra fuel in the tank.

Wave as you go by. We will recognize you by the big grin.
Me? Always have a big grin after overcoming the doctors prognosis 16 years ago! And problems are just part of life...

Thanks!

Tags
towing